The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Is that a private stock order? Looks great would love to hear it

Yes, indeed!

Here is the Private Stock Build Certificate:

PS%206273_zpskzaytamu.jpeg

Pretty much a straight down the middle 594, but with Semi-Hollow construction and no F-Hole. Everything is pretty much just so really killer aesthetic treatments.

I have learned over time not to get too crazy with Private Stocks, especially with Wood Selections, if you care about tone first and looks second, which is the case for me. I usually do a tried-and-true known awesome configuration for tone and then change one thing from there, to make it unique and special but without much risk that I will love it. For this one, that "one thing" was Semi-Hollow with no F-Hole, everything is else "down the middle", Mahogany body and Neck, Rosewood Board, 5815 LT's, etc.

Also when I hand pick the woods, I focus on the tone of the neck blank and body wood with the tap test, I spend a lot of time on that, I find pieces that are quite musical in a way that pleases my ears. That seems to make a huge difference in how pleasing the end result is to me.

It turned out GREAT! My strategy seems to work well... :)

Yes, indeed!

Here is the Private Stock Build Certificate:

PS%206273_zpskzaytamu.jpeg

Pretty much a straight down the middle 594, but with Semi-Hollow construction and no F-Hole. Everything is pretty much just so really killer aesthetic treatments.

I have learned over time not to get too crazy with Private Stocks, especially with Wood Selections, if you care about tone first and looks second, which is the case for me. I usually do a tried-and-true known awesome configuration for tone and then change one thing from there, to make it unique and special but without much risk that I will love it. For this one, that "one thing" was Semi-Hollow with no F-Hole, everything is else "down the middle", Mahogany body and Neck, Rosewood Board, 5815 LT's, etc.

Also when I hand pick the woods, I focus on the tone of the neck blank and body wood with the tap test, I spend a lot of time on that, I find pieces that are quite musical in a way that pleases my ears. That seems to make a huge difference in how pleasing the end result is to me.

It turned out GREAT! My strategy seems to work well... :)
Congrats glad you are enjoying it, must sound beautiful acoustically
I can imagine the warm jazz tones

Pete, I agree with your quote about feel. I largely let weight be my guide when picking a guitar, rather than getting caught up in the intangible differences we hear when we play. Even if something sounds and plays great, if it's too heavy, it won't balance right for me and will fatigue my shoulder and take me out of my comfort zone.

Generally, I find that 7 pounds is my sweet spot, but I played a couple 594s that were about 8 and they didn't feel bad at all. Mine at 7 lbs, 11 oz felt great over the course of a four set gig. I think it's partly due to the great balance and ergonomics of that shorter neck on the PRS double cut body.
Interesting -- I have owned and played some pretty heavy beasts in the eight to eight-plus pound range. Strap choice makes a HUGE difference, especially if you will be slinging that thing over a four-hour gig. Put a wide, soft leather strap on it, so the weight will be distributed across more area, and you should hardly notice the heaviness of the guitar. Hang it on a skinny and/or stiff leather strap, and it certain;y will dig in deep and hard.

Interesting -- I have owned and played some pretty heavy beasts in the eight to eight-plus pound range. Strap choice makes a HUGE difference, especially if you will be slinging that thing over a four-hour gig. Put a wide, soft leather strap on it, so the weight will be distributed across more area, and you should hardly notice the heaviness of the guitar. Hang it on a skinny and/or stiff leather strap, and it certain;y will dig in deep and hard.

True about strap choice. I have a 3 inch wide nylon strap that worked well with the 8+ lb Strat I used to have. It also depends on the player, though. I'm far from a big dude, so I have no interest in welding a 9 lb guitar, no matter the strap.

My 594 should feel even better now, since I recently got a PRS 2.5" leather strap. Excellent strap and I recommend it highly.

What amp you put it through?? Been searching for a great one for my prs think I've found one after a lot of searching

My favorite has been the Bogner Helios. By a long shot, I have tried so many amps, and the Helios has been my favorite for a while now. Great cleans, in a Plexi kind of way, and the very best hot rodded Marshall tones out there, very open and organic. I compared head-to-head (pardon the pun!) with many of the other great amps out there, and liked this one the best, with the Friedman SS-100 and Wildwood verion of the Smallbox as the runner ups.

That being said, the Helios has its idiosyncrasies. It has a high and low input like the classic Plexi amps, and the best cleans are on the low, and the best gain tones are on the high, as you would expect, but in the amp itself you can't switch between the two inputs. I am not playing out with a band right now, so it hadn't bothered me. If you want straight-forward channel switching, the 2 Friedmans I mention above are my favorite two Friedmans, as IMO they are most organic like the Helios. I find that that "Organic" EL34/Marshally quality, not sounding too modern, is a great match to the 594 for blues and classic rock tones, with the stock 5815 LT's, and with slightly hotter PRS and non-PRS PAF's, I have tried a ton in my 15 or so 594's.

Also, I should caveat that I sold my Helios in the fall of 2016and have 2 Kempers now, and no tube amps. But I still use my 4x12 Bogner Helios Cabinet and my 2x12 Bogner Helios Cabinets, my favorite two cabinets ever, and also Michael Britt's Bogner Helios Kemper Profiles are my favorite Profiles in my Kempers, so I still consider myself a huge Bogner Helios fan, and user. ;)

I have it on my wish list to get another Helios head, I had the 50 watt one, it has awesome, wanted to try the 100 watt as well.

YMMV...

My favorite has been the Bogner Helios. By a long shot, I have tried so many amps, and the Helios has been my favorite for a while now. Great cleans, in a Plexi kind of way, and the very best hot rodded Marshall tones out there, very open and organic. I compared head-to-head (pardon the pun!) with many of the other great amps out there, and liked this one the best, with the Friedman SS-100 and Wildwood verion of the Smallbox as the runner ups.

That being said, the Helios has its idiosyncrasies. It has a high and low input like the classic Plexi amps, and the best cleans are on the low, and the best gain tones are on the high, as you would expect, but in the amp itself you can't switch between the two inputs. I am not playing out with a band right now, so it hadn't bothered me. If you want straight-forward channel switching, the 2 Friedmans I mention above are my favorite two Friedmans, as IMO they are most organic like the Helios. I find that that "Organic" EL34/Marshally quality, not sounding too modern, is a great match to the 594 for blues and classic rock tones, with the stock 5815 LT's, and with slightly hotter PRS and non-PRS PAF's, I have tried a ton in my 15 or so 594's.

Also, I should caveat that I sold my Helios in the fall of 2016and have 2 Kempers now, and no tube amps. But I still use my 4x12 Bogner Helios Cabinet and my 2x12 Bogner Helios Cabinets, my favorite two cabinets ever, and also Michael Britt's Bogner Helios Kemper Profiles are my favorite Profiles in my Kempers, so I still consider myself a huge Bogner Helios fan, and user. ;)

I have it on my wish list to get another Helios head, I had the 50 watt one, it has awesome, wanted to try the 100 watt as well.

YMMV...
Heard great things about kempers not tried the bogner I haven't seen many in England,
Think I'm getting an amp made by 633 they sound incredible

I saw Alter Bridge in Philly on Sat night. Miles used his 594 on close to half the songs. Also saw them in August at Red Rocks but he didn't use it all there. Mark used his crazy guitar on quite a few songs as well.

32676355116_7afbb2b113_b.jpg

The Helios is indeed a sweet amp.

PRS will be happy to know, though, that I love the HXDA, their take on a Plexi style amp. My favorite amp ever. Buttery smooth, gorgeous tones from clean to saturated overdrive.

Kemper is a brilliant design, well thought out for players, light. I'd gig with one live because I don't have roadies to move gear; but under the microscope of recording, that stuff real amps do goes missing for me.

I saw Alter Bridge in Philly on Sat night. Miles used his 594 on close to half the songs. Also saw them in August at Red Rocks but he didn't use it all there. Mark used his crazy guitar on quite a few songs as well.

32676355116_7afbb2b113_b.jpg

Cool! I like Myles' better than Mark's. But I am admittedly biased... ;)

Hi guys,

I decided it was time to join the fun. I only had her for a couple of days and so far I'm loving it. My first 594, first quilt top, first solid rosewood neck, first ebony fretboard. Its just awesome. I know it's early days and I totally get what all the fuss with the 594 is about.

IMG_2300_zpslea5fcuy.jpg

Hi guys,

I decided it was time to join the fun. I only had her for a couple of days and so far I'm loving it. My first 594, first quilt top, first solid rosewood neck, first ebony fretboard. Its just awesome. I know it's early days and I totally get what all the fuss with the 594 is about.

IMG_2300_zpslea5fcuy.jpg

That is drop-dead gorgeous! Congratulations. Is the back opaque black, or translucent?

Hi guys,

IMG_2300_zpslea5fcuy.jpg

That is a great looking one! Love the color. Gratz!

Hi guys,

IMG_2300_zpslea5fcuy.jpg

Killer! Welcome the the club!

That is drop-dead gorgeous! Congratulations. Is the back opaque black, or translucent?

It is Faded Whale Blue Smokewrap. Which is kind of weird to me, I actually had a faded whale blue 408 a while back and that was a very washed out pale colour. This is very different and much cooler!

Back