The S2 3 way switch is way nicer than an SE switch. Both of my guitars are 2019; the SE Mira switch feels cheap like it won't take much to break compared to my S2 Custom 24. Nut on both have been very good, the SE Mira may come with a better nut than most SE models. Pots/push pull seem equal. Knobs on the S2 are significantly nicer. I have different bridges so can't compare, pickups are the same, and I would say the 85/15 S are pretty good stock. Might change them on the S2, if/when I get a third PRS, and want something different.

Do you happen to know if the pickup rings (ivory cream ones) are the same between the S2 and SE? Thinking of going with the US ones which are less yellow and more ivory/whiter.

Did the US core models ever come with a push pull pot? I'm not sure if the one on the PRS store is an upgrade at all for the S2 if it doesn't come on US core models.
https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/push-pull-tone-pot

Do you happen to know if the pickup rings (ivory cream ones) are the same between the S2 and SE? Thinking of going with the US ones which are less yellow and more ivory/whiter.

Did the US core models ever come with a push pull pot? I'm not sure if the one on the PRS store is an upgrade at all for the S2 if it doesn't come on US core models.
https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/push-pull-tone-pot
You’ll be fine with the core rings. That push pull is also a core part.

S2 McCarty 594 was announced! I am very excited. Would anyone mod one of these? What would you do?

I put gotoh vintage style locking tuners in that Bernie, which were more or less drop in & kept vintage look

Phase 3s are better though

I put gotoh vintage style locking tuners in that Bernie, which were more or less drop in & kept vintage look

Phase 3s are better though

I have Phase 3s in my Bernie and am considering going back to the Gotoh vintage lockers. Don’t know why, but somehow the lower height of the tuners, i.e. different break angle of strings over nut, of the Gotohs just works better for me. I have already bought the conversion bushings to work with the slightly smaller post size of the Gotohs, just need to get the motivation to change them out.:oops:

Funnily enough though, that is the only guitar where I am considering changing them out. However, I believe that someone from PRS has mentioned on these forums before that the Phase 3s work better with thicker headstocks and that would not be ideal for guitars with thinner headstocks, i.e. McCartys. If I recall correctly the reason was the break angle over the nut.

Mine is an S2 semi hollow custom 22 in tobacco sunburst.

I had to take it in recently to get the scratchy volume pot replaced; hoping to have it back in the next few days.

I don’t mind either way tbh , but I will say the vintage style tuners on my S2 594 look and feel like the core part. And they are def not just klusons or any off the shelf part, I’ve had my experiences with lots of them...

For one the posts are unique , larger and made of brass, they are def not just ‘all parts’ and they turn so smooth.They look to be just smartly tributing the case and knobs; these do not look cheesey and flemmy like custom shop ‘vintage’ buttons :)

Mine is an S2 semi hollow custom 22 in tobacco sunburst.

I had to take it in recently to get the scratchy volume pot replaced; hoping to have it back in the next few days.

Ditto here... had the scratchy volume pot replaced on my 2017 Satin Vela... All great now

Ok so I have an update. I have a s2 custom 24. I have had many brain storming plans and research to get it where I wanted it. My 5 way switch idea didn’t work. However I found a solution that is much better.

I just got done with my mods. It turned out great.

57/08 in the neck
59/09 in the bridge
New 3 way switch
Two new pots both push/pull for independent coil taping for blending.

Giving me 8 different options.

The G&B 85/15s bass pick up is a great pick up, but it is nothing to the 57/08 bass. I debated not changing it, but I am glad I did. This is the sound I have been trying to get my whole life.
The G&B 85/15s treble pick up is muffled and almost whiny, to my ears it does sound bad. I went with the 59/09 because I wanted this guitar to be versatile and it accomplishes what I wanted. The pick up is very clear and defined. The articulations of sounds when bending notes is fantastic. This is the best tool I have ever used for making music.

Cons I have noticed to doing this:
The volume changes in the middle position is pretty drastic and my be too drastic for people who play in the middle.

I like how different the two pick ups sound but I can also see myself putting in a 57/09 treble in the future. Getting another s2 and getting the bass 59/09 and putting them in it.

Pros:
To me the con I posted is a pro for me sometimes during a song if I am using both pick ups I am playing background rhythm anyway. Switching to 1 or 3 give me a significant volume boost without having to play with the knob. I don’t even use my DB boost pedal anymore. Over all the guitar sounds much better I understand why people buy core guitars. I am eyeing a 594 next.

I have a S2 Standard 22 and I was going to put in a Gibson 57 Classic in the bridge spot but it would not fit, the legs are too long on the Gibson pickup, and I don't want to remove any wood. Now I'm thinking of buying a PRS 57/08 for it so my question is, will it drop right in without having to do any routing or anything like that?

I have a S2 Standard 22 and I was going to put in a Gibson 57 Classic in the bridge spot but it would not fit, the legs are too long on the Gibson pickup, and I don't want to remove any wood. Now I'm thinking of buying a PRS 57/08 for it so my question is, will it drop right in without having to do any routing or anything like that?

57/08 fits perfectly. I didn’t have to do any routing. The 57/08 is my favorite pickup so far. I haven’t tried the 58/15 LT pick ups yet but you can only get them after market. I’m going to get another 57/08 put it my bridge soon. Highly recommend.

57/08 fits perfectly. I didn’t have to do any routing. The 57/08 is my favorite pickup so far. I haven’t tried the 58/15 LT pick ups yet but you can only get them after market. I’m going to get another 57/08 put it my bridge soon. Highly recommend.

Awesome, thanks!

Can anyone tell me if there will be a significant difference if I change out my stock 85/15s to the core 85/15?

Can anyone tell me if there will be a significant difference if I change out my stock 85/15s to the core 85/15?

I would say yes it’s worth it. Your bridge pickup will sound more articulate, less ear piercing very high frequencies, if you change it out. Depending on what you are doing the 85/15s can also get a little muddy. I play my buddies CE that has core ones overall my experience with them was a clearer and more articulate sound. I actually like the 85/15s neck pickup it’s a little darker and warmer. Hope that helps.

I'm planning what to do on my next string change... Is it worth changing the electronics, pots and all to better quality ones or US parts? Nothing wrong with it at the moment but anything that would make my S2 Standard better would be nice?

I'm still saving up for a Mann bridge.
Yea, they ain’t cheap, I am contemplating!!

The parts PRS uses on the S2 line aren't bad at all, but compared to something like Mojotone vintage taper pots and a Switchcraft, CTS or Oak Grigsby switch (depending on toggle or blade switch) and there's a noticeable difference in quality and feel. It really comes down to whether you're good with how the stock parts work for you (or not) and if you're willing to invest money and labor into upgrades. Plenty of folks on here have stated that they're perfectly fine with the stock parts. For me, I will always gut the SE and S2 guitars and rewire them as well as swap the pickups, but that's just my personal preference.

Back