So I just got my S2 semi back from an overhaul!...Was it worth it?
Short answer: YES. To quote from above "Worth. Every. Penny"..

I went with PRS core volume and tone pots, PRS 5-way super switch, and 57/08 pickups.
Also changed the knobs to amber instead of black.

Compared to the #7 the 57/08 are a whole lot better. Especially the neck pickup; and the center position of the 5-way.
I've always liked the bridge position with the #7; this is similar, slightly better. But the neck pickup; the #7 is pretty muddy; I am loving the 57/08. Really great sounding.

I guess I need to save up for a Mann bridge next!

jns37pF.jpg

Yeah; that's next! I guess Schaller makes the PRS version that they use on the core series; but they charge about $50 more, and the screws cost extra.. So, yeah; going with Mann!
Another kind you may want to consider is the Vegatrem. But, it doesn't look PRS'ish.

Yeah; that's next! I guess Schaller makes the PRS version that they use on the core series; but they charge about $50 more, and the screws cost extra.. So, yeah; going with Mann!

A company called Excel have made the core bridges since the mid-90's. You may already know, but John Mann's company (Mil-Com) made the original PRS trems, so you are in very capable hands with the MannMade USA bridges.

So I just got my S2 semi back from an overhaul!...Was it worth it?
Short answer: YES. To quote from above "Worth. Every. Penny"..

I went with PRS core volume and tone pots, PRS 5-way super switch, and 57/08 pickups.
Also changed the knobs to amber instead of black.

Compared to the #7 the 57/08 are a whole lot better. Especially the neck pickup; and the center position of the 5-way.
I've always liked the bridge position with the #7; this is similar, slightly better. But the neck pickup; the #7 is pretty muddy; I am loving the 57/08. Really great sounding.

I guess I need to save up for a Mann bridge next!

jns37pF.jpg

Love that guitar!

A company called Excel have made the core bridges since the mid-90's. You may already know, but John Mann's company (Mil-Com) made the original PRS trems, so you are in very capable hands with the MannMade USA bridges.

Ahh, sounds like I got mixed up with whatever I was being told! Does Schaller do anything for PRS? tuners?

Anyhow; more important question - difference between the Mann 2000NOS bridge, vs the 2040-N PRS/Mann bridge? 2000NOS is one piece cast; 2040 is two-piece.. Guess I just answered my own question! (and the NOS is out of stock and not available any time soon..)

Ahh, sounds like I got mixed up with whatever I was being told! Does Schaller do anything for PRS? tuners?

Anyhow; more important question - difference between the Mann 2000NOS bridge, vs the 2040-N PRS/Mann bridge? 2000NOS is one piece cast; 2040 is two-piece.. Guess I just answered my own question! (and the NOS is out of stock and not available any time soon..)

I have no experience with the NOS, but it was a big improvement from the stock S2 bridge sonically when I thought changing bridge with one with better materials won't do anything.

Mods to my S2 Custom24:
Mann Bridge in a gold and brass blend.
Metal Treble and Metal Bass pick ups, both uncovered
PRS US Pots

Aside from the Mann Bridge not staying in tune when using the trem bar (almost instantly goes out of tune) and some difficulty finding a sweet spot for the action it is a fantastic guitar.

The S2 pick ups are passable for a practice guitar, but anything for recording or live needs more '3d' effect of the Core pickups. After I switched them I found out that the lead guitarist in Opeth uses them in his P22's as well (Metal). SE pick ups are articulate, which I like. However the have a boxy mid range, a looser low end, and slightly muted highs compared to the Metal pick ups. Great for 'dad rock pentatonic' single notes, but for higher gain with complex chords you need clarity for more note definition. I don't play 'djent' btw.

Coming from a Les Paul world it took me a little while to adjust to the neck, weight, and body of the guitar. After a few months it feels right at home. I cannot use 9-42 gauge strings because of the length, so I have had to use the Slinkies that are 44-9.5 which is in between the typical 9s and 10s (the D and G strings are the same as the 9s for the 9.5 set, only the top and bottom two strings are a little thicker). I play in D standard (DGCFAD).

The main selling point for me with the S2 vs the SE are the stainless steel frets, quality nut, and tuners and the fact that t gets assembled in the US. With the cost of upgrading the S2 I was still saving almost 2k, when compared to the Core. I also don't have to worry as much about scratching it up during normal use, as I can always swap the parts back out, sell it and put that money towards another S2 if I was annoyed by the wear (not seeing that happen, though) and install the upgraded parts I had in the last one.

Upgrading my SE Hollowbody II with SE locking tuners. Hopefully that works out. I wish it had a three way toggle for mag/mix/piezo like the core. Difference in price between SE and Core HBII is 4x. Changing the tuners, pick ups and pots on that one, too.

Really? My PRS/Mann stays in tune even after abusing the whammy bar. I even adjusted the angle of the bar to dive deeper.

Yes, sir. It's like the bridge was abused by the whammy in a past life. I had my guitar tech change it to where it can only go down and not back and the tuning is quite stable unless the wicked whammy bar returns.

The only mod I made to my S2s was to add Schaller strap locks after machining
the bottom of each new upper strap button to match the curve of the upper horn.

Before
](

After
((

I lied.
Maybe?
I replaced the blade switch on both Miras.
One was a repair and one was a preventive repair.
Not actually mods in my opinion.

that finish is immaculate for an S2. Crushes most CEs. Great pic. Solid upgrades! Congrats

Thanks!! Yeah; love that axe. I ordered it March of 2015; they shipped it to me end of May 2015. It's the "tri-color sunburst" finish.

Price has gone up since then too! I paid just under $1,600 for the guitar, and they hooked me up with the PRS hard case for $105.. Ahh the good old days before Sweetwater had to charge tax! :)

Back