S2 upgrade - questions

alex1fly

Considering grabbing my first S2 and some questions have come up as I browse!

Is there rhyme/reason to which models get fretboard dots and which get birds? For example I've seen some S2 Customs with birds, some with dots.

Are there "good years" for S2s? I was thinking it could be cool to find one from the first year they were made... but open to ideas!

How different is the S2 Custom from the SE Custom, feel-wise? I've had a SE Custom for several years and while it sounds absolutely phenomenal, there are issues - my right forearm seems to bash into the body moreso than my other guitars, and the wide neck limits where I can put my fretting thumb.

How does the Standard/Custom 22 different from the Standard/Custom 24, as far as the feel of the instrument in your hands? Is the bridge in the same place relative to the body of the guitar?

TIA!
Alex

Hi Alex!

In general, the S2 Customs (maple top) get birds, the all mahogany guitars - Standards, Vela, Mira, Starla - get dots. There are a few exceptions - if memory serves, some of the early all hog S2 guitars did have birds, and the current 594 Thinline has birds. FWIW, I don’t find the birds on S2’s to be much of a dealbreaker feature, because they’re a plain white plastic. They’re not bad by any means, but I personally don’t feel the need to have them, YMMV of course.

Regarding years - I’ve not experienced any exceptionally good or bad examples based on year, other than sometimes the finish having minor issues in the first year or two (2013/14). Some of the ‘13’s had hazy finish, and I had some very minor clear coat chipping at the fretboard edge on my ‘14. The thing you’ll probably find more value in based on year is just that the features have been tweaked from time to time. Pickups have changed, neck profiles, finish colors and materials. In the last 2-3 years, I believe the S2’s all went to the nitro gloss finishes, the 24-fret guitars now have the pattern thin neck profile, and pickups have changed here and there.

I would recommend something with the pattern regular profile for you, a little narrower if you want to wrap your thumb over. Aside from that, there’s really nothing to avoid, more so just finding the right options.

Sounds like your issues of the SE would be resolved by the s2 neck profiles and carves. You will be very happy. The fretwork and nut are also much better on the s2. Plus locking tuners.

OP I have 5 s2s and I prefer the dots...including 3 Standard 22s with all having different pups because of the years...the problem you're having with your right arm is solved with the S2 carve and the pattern regular neck on the 22 fret models is fantastic ...very boutique...the only thing I changed was the bridge pup on my earliest Standard 22 and it also needed a new volume but the more recent ones have not....I also have a Mira and Vela which are different animals...theyre very ergonomic and all of mine are between 5 and 7.2 lbs...whats not to like?? Lol

I personally noticed a big feel improvement on the neck and overall resonance when I went from an SE custom to the S2 custom. The neck just feels so much better to me. I can feel the quality difference. I can also feel the extra maple cap thickness. SEs are still awesome though.

They started doing Pattern Thin in the last year or so on S2 customs. If you hated Wide Thin and have your heart set on a Custom, get a used one from a few years back.

I LOVE the bevel cut. My forearm hates the violin cut on the SE and cores, because I rest it right where that 90 degree carve is.

Also, pay attention to the pickups. Customs get the 85/15s and standards get the… 58/15s I think. The latter is a little more vintage sounding with that hint of honk and sweetness. The former is a bit more modern and… neutral sounding to my ear, which is what I prefer.

I personally noticed a big feel improvement on the neck and overall resonance when I went from an SE custom to the S2 custom. The neck just feels so much better to me. I can feel the quality difference. I can also feel the extra maple cap thickness. SEs are still awesome though.

They started doing Pattern Thin in the last year or so on S2 customs. If you hated Wide Thin and have your heart set on a Custom, get a used one from a few years back.

I LOVE the bevel cut. My forearm hates the violin cut on the SE and cores, because I rest it right where that 90 degree carve is.

Also, pay attention to the pickups. Customs get the 85/15s and standards get the… 58/15s I think. The latter is a little more vintage sounding with that hint of honk and sweetness. The former is a bit more modern and… neutral sounding to my ear, which is what I prefer.
This is a sweet spot. I’d love to have the 85/15s without the wide thin profile!

Last edited:
The SEs and S2s have the same electronics, pickups and hardware. The difference is the finish - poly on the SEs and nitro on the S2s, the neck shapes, and the wood. i own Core, S2 and SEs and they all are modded to my liking. The S2 and SE get the same mods, bridge, pickups and electronics. At this point I don’t think I would buy another S2 unless I got a screaming good deal on it. The later version SEs are very good and respond well to upgrades. You may have to pick through several to find a social one but that is true of most guitars.

’22 SE Custom 24:
qz3RMly.jpg

S2 and two SEs:
e89Uy4f.jpg

This is a sweet spot. I’d love to have the 85/15s without the wide thin profile!
You are going to have to buy used then I believe. Any 2021 or earlier S2 custom with pattern regular. There were also a few years where the standards came with 85/15s as well. Look for uncovered pickups.

The SEs and S2s have the same electronics, pickups and hardware. The difference is the finish - poly on the SEs and nitro on the S2s, the neck shapes, and the wood. i own Core, S2 and SEs and they all are modded to my liking. The S2 and SE get the same mods, bridge, pickups and electronics. At this point I don’t think I would buy another S2 unless I got a screaming good deal on it. The later version SEs are very good and respond well to upgrades. You may have to pick through several to find a social one but that is true of most guitars.

’22 SE Custom 24:
qz3RMly.jpg

S2 and two SEs:
e89Uy4f.jpg

You are going to have to buy used then I believe. Any 2021 or earlier S2 custom with pattern regular. There were also a few years where the standards came with 85/15s as well. Look for uncovered pickups.
Thanks. I’m okay with used. Is year of manufacture enough to know what neck profile a Custom will have? And do all S2s have nitro? Because now they’re listing some as “satin” which is a bit confusing.

Thanks. I’m okay with used. Is year of manufacture enough to know what neck profile a Custom will have? And do all S2s have nitro? Because now they’re listing some as “satin” which is a bit confusing.
The satins are their own thing. The necks don’t have that gloss like stickiness that you have to clean regularly. They are more susceptible to dings and relic really quickly. However, if you like a more natural neck they feel great.

All other S2s are nitro now. Google PRS nitro and you’ll see the year they made the switch.

Reverb is a great tool if you are trying to figure out which model year to get. They usually list the neck type. Can sometimes be tricky on pickups because PRS will change them in the middle of a year range. Always ask the seller to confirm.

The satins are their own thing. The necks don’t have that gloss like stickiness that you have to clean regularly. They are more susceptible to dings and relic really quickly. However, if you like a more natural neck they feel great.

All other S2s are nitro now. Google PRS nitro and you’ll see the year they made the switch.

Reverb is a great tool if you are trying to figure out which model year to get. They usually list the neck type. Can sometimes be tricky on pickups because PRS will change them in the middle of a year range. Always ask the seller to confirm.
Looks like 2020 was a switchover time. I know its lame to prefer a finish type but after 20 some years of playing guitar I find that I enjoy when a guitar feels like wood rather than plastic. Are the poly S2 finishes any thinner than the SE finishes? Or same thick coating.

Looks like 2020 was a switchover time. I know its lame to prefer a finish type but after 20 some years of playing guitar I find that I enjoy when a guitar feels like wood rather than plastic. Are the poly S2 finishes any thinner than the SE finishes? Or same thick coating.

No idea unfortunately. Mine is nitro.

Any tips for getting information from Guitar Center? They have the best return policy and a great selection. I'm most interested in getting a model that has the 85/15s pickups. Of course I may be overestimating the effect those pickups have versus say the 58/15 LTs which are in the newer S2 Customs and Standards. I just really dig how articulate they are and their particular voice under medium to high gain.

I think the 85/15 and 58/15 sound very different. Less pronounced in the neck pickup but very obvious in the bridge.

GC is easy enough to go in and test some SE models. Their selection of used s2 varies greatly from week to week. I believe their return policy of 45 days stands even if the guitar is used. But if you are the type that keeps buying and returning: they will kindly point you to the door eventually.

If you have the chance to get a S2 go for it. Used they are only a few hundred more then the se. I bought a 2013 custom 24 and love it. It is a solid guitar and the push/pull tone pot is great for a few extra sounds.
RqtiuXV.jpeg

Back