Mods to my S2 Custom24:
Mann Bridge in a gold and brass blend.
Metal Treble and Metal Bass pick ups, both uncovered
PRS US Pots

Aside from the Mann Bridge not staying in tune when using the trem bar (almost instantly goes out of tune) and some difficulty finding a sweet spot for the action it is a fantastic guitar.

The S2 pick ups are passable for a practice guitar, but anything for recording or live needs more '3d' effect of the Core pickups. After I switched them I found out that the lead guitarist in Opeth uses them in his P22's as well (Metal). SE pick ups are articulate, which I like. However the have a boxy mid range, a looser low end, and slightly muted highs compared to the Metal pick ups. Great for 'dad rock pentatonic' single notes, but for higher gain with complex chords you need clarity for more note definition. I don't play 'djent' btw.

Coming from a Les Paul world it took me a little while to adjust to the neck, weight, and body of the guitar. After a few months it feels right at home. I cannot use 9-42 gauge strings because of the length, so I have had to use the Slinkies that are 44-9.5 which is in between the typical 9s and 10s (the D and G strings are the same as the 9s for the 9.5 set, only the top and bottom two strings are a little thicker). I play in D standard (DGCFAD).

The main selling point for me with the S2 vs the SE are the stainless steel frets, quality nut, and tuners and the fact that t gets assembled in the US. With the cost of upgrading the S2 I was still saving almost 2k, when compared to the Core. I also don't have to worry as much about scratching it up during normal use, as I can always swap the parts back out, sell it and put that money towards another S2 if I was annoyed by the wear (not seeing that happen, though) and install the upgraded parts I had in the last one.

Upgrading my SE Hollowbody II with SE locking tuners. Hopefully that works out. I wish it had a three way toggle for mag/mix/piezo like the core. Difference in price between SE and Core HBII is 4x. Changing the tuners, pick ups and pots on that one, too.
None of the PRS come with stainless steel frets. I have every PRS trem on one of my guitars, including all the Mann trems. They all stay in tune and float. Your tech didn’t do something properly…..

On my S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow all, I've done is swap the pickups from the 85/15 S to a set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas pickups, I'm quite happy with that change, but I may do a few more things in the near future as project funds become available (John Mann tremolo upgrade, and perhaps installation of a Core volume pot.) My. S2 594 McCarty has had slightly more extensive modifications, I swapped the 58/15 S pickups for a set of 58/15 LT's that I was able to find on Reverb for what I thought to be a good price compared to most sets I was seeing available at that time, I gave the guitar my own hybrid hardware treatment, and I swapped the tuners for Phase III locking vintage tuners. Also on the list in the near future are Core volume pots and pickup selector.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I also have a replacement bone nut for the next time I send the guitar in for a setup.

Last edited:
Very nice mods!

The PRS/Mann bridge on my S2 is...

Worth. Every. Penny. Aesthetic-wise. Tone-wise.

Go for it!
It's the little things about this that I really dig - the allen wrench screws on the blade switch, the beefy surrounds on the mini-toggles along with the beefier switch arms there. Really gives it a "built like a tank" vibe.

It's the little things about this that I really dig - the allen wrench screws on the blade switch, the beefy surrounds on the mini-toggles along with the beefier switch arms there. Really gives it a "built like a tank" vibe.
Plus... I have the Puretone Multi-contact output jack which secures my instrument cable in it! I could hang the guitar out in the window with it! Just kidding, haven't tried that.

Last edited:
Back