New HX/DA amp coming?

On the other hand, even with a small bit of the fun part becoming more serious, the work I've been doing for 30 years now is WAY more fun than anything I did before, and when I have time off, I still do music stuff. Lately my fun stuff is writing a different style of music than clients usually want (orchestral),

So what does that tell you? I love my work more than any other kind of work I could do. The stress of making money at it is the part that isn't fun, but for me, being a bizniz person isn't all that much fun in the first place.

Sometimes I get jealous of friends that love their jobs, sometimes I'm glad that I have hobbies that I love after my stressful job.

TBH, I don't know who has it better? ;)

Sometimes I get jealous of friends that love their jobs, sometimes I'm glad that I have hobbies that I love after my stressful job.

I don't think there is a 'better'. There's what works for you, and what doesn't work for you.

I decided in the late 70s that I didn’t want to become an old man playing bars, so I got married and educated. My engineering degree took me places I’m unlikely to have made it to and I got a great deal of satisfaction from my work.

My move was in the opposite direction of Les, but I don’t think I would have been as comfortable in my final choice if I hadn’t tried the other first. In that respect, I think Les and I are alike.

I have always been greedy and wanted both a satisfying job and hobbies. Just like I want guitars that look nice, play well and sound good - which is why I keep buying PRS.

Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful. Sorry wrong commercial. Like veinbuster, I had a very rewarding and enjoyable career combined with two equally enjoyable hobbies: cycling and guitar. That’s why I keep buying Parlee’s and PRS.

I decided in the late 70s that I didn’t want to become an old man playing bars, so I got married and educated. My engineering degree took me places I’m unlikely to have made it to and I got a great deal of satisfaction from my work.

My move was in the opposite direction of Les, but I don’t think I would have been as comfortable in my final choice if I hadn’t tried the other first. In that respect, I think Les and I are alike.

We are indeed a lot alike! Your previous experience informed and helped shape your life. If I hadn't practiced law, I wouldn't have had a clue how to build any business, let alone one in something like music production.

I'm happy I made the change, no regrets. Have had lots of good things happen because of it.

You can do them both to a degree, but if you do, one always has to ride in the back seat. I did the career first, but never stopped playing. I'm pretty sure that actively gigging police chiefs are a select few! But it did work, even though I couldn't chase music like I had once envisioned. Now that I finally reached the first goal (retirement from main career), I'm glad I kept one foot in the music business all those decades. Still gigging (when possible in this crazy world), and feeling pretty good about life in the post-full time job world!

I *might* have just ask my Sales rep @ the largest online US music vendor (can we say names here?), during a convo about other stuff, and he wasn't aware of anything new.

Then again, he said this year has been crazy w/vendors & no NAMM coming, so it was anyone's guess.

I *might* have just ask my Sales rep @ the largest online US music vendor (can we say names here?), during a convo about other stuff, and he wasn't aware of anything new.

Then again, he said this year has been crazy w/vendors & no NAMM coming, so it was anyone's guess.

Let us know what you hear!

The original HXDA was available as a 50W and 100W, so maybe this is a prototype based on the older 100W chassis?

I'd like a 100W version; it'd be a different amp from my current HXDA because of the headroom. I'd get one (and I'd keep my current one as well).
Interesting that there were 2 different HX/DA threads going on, but both for the original 50w.

Interesting that there were 2 different HX/DA threads going on, but both for the original 50w.
They couldn’t go wrong making that one available again! I have wondered if the supply of expensive or custom parts became an issue. I was playing on mine last night and am reminded every time how much they nailed it on the originals. The quality of the sound is inspiring.

I have played the HXDA and I get why some like it - the whole plexi thing etc

The line up for me is missing a key type of amp. Something like a JCM800 that has modern features.

I don't need a pedal platform amp or something for metal/ chugging.

This would bring ME back to the PRS amp fold.

The line up for me is missing a key type of amp. Something like a JCM800 that has modern features.

I dig what you're saying, and I think it's pretty obvious that I'm a PRS fanboy. My question is: Why would you look for a JCM800-type amp from PRS?
Don't get me wrong, I'm following these b/c I'm excited to see what they come out, but not for my Marshall tones. I have Marshalls for that. :D

I recently “saw the light” on the single channel PRS amps with the Sweet 16 I picked up. I mean, I knew they had to be good, but I didn’t know, ya know?

Even with the 16 being a more affordable amp than the HXDA, DG, etc., it still thrills me. Don’t get me wrong, the three 2 channel
PRS amps I’ve owned have been great, light years ahead of other channel switching amps I’ve played in a number of ways. But the way the sound is just so perfectly dialed in on the Sweet 16 is dreamy. I suspect that it’s harder to tune a shared power section on a 2 channel amp to perfectly represent each channel, and that’s why the singles shine just a tiny shade brighter.

I was a poor student when the PRS amp kind had more mid-priced single channel stuff in it, I’d like to see some more of that again (now that I actually have a few bucks). I have the evidence in had that it works! A new HX/DA might not be that affordable, but no doubt in my mind PRS could dream up some kind of less adorned M-type amp that turns some heads.

Being a '60s kinda guy, I always thought Marshall took a wrong turn starting with those JCM800s. The tone is so harsh and dry! I have much more of a "Live at the Fillmore" or Jimi type of tone in my head. Or even AC/DC.

The JCM800 sound put me off Marshalls for a long time, until I worked with Laurie Wisefield (Wishbone Ash, Clapton, Ringo Starr) on a project where he used a JTM45. Of course, that was more in the Plexi direction, however he got killer, killer tone. And what a phenomenal player!

But that's just me. The rest of the world clearly disagrees, since those JCM type amps sell like hotcakes! I will say that the single channel PRS amps aren't necessarily pedal platforms, but they're for a different player than someone seeking JCM800 tones.

If I wanted something more JCM800, I'd probably look at Friedman or Suhr.

Back