NUAD

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Picked up a used HDRX 20 Thursday.

After being disappointed with the tone of the mt15 I was certain this would be a different story.

Wife was home Friday night so I had to play quietly. I found running amp at low master volume produced a sharpness or glassy tone that I wasn't really fond of. I decided to try the od pedals I own but never use and discovered a decent tone. Blues driver pedal sounded best out of the ones I tried. Had to shut down for the night so there are a few more od pedals to try yet.

Saturday I was able to make aittle more noise so I set it up using my weber attenuator then into 1960a cab with g12-65s.

Getting master up above 75% completely changed the amp. It lost that sharpness that I really dislike, in fact, it turned the amp into a bass monster which is nice for a change since harsh is how I describe most of the amps I've been through so far.

I actually feel like I am making some progress in the quest for "my amp".

One very pleasant surprise is while HB mode with McCarty is very full, the bridge split sounds fantastic. No compromise either way. Bridge split through this amp is something I can use!

I have several cabs loaded with different speakers so I will run it through all of them and see what happens.

I've also been playing with a variac and I'm mainly using it to get voltage to manufacturers recommended level but I did pull it down to 110 just to see. Wasn't a fan, amp lost a little gain and tone was not as good as 120 vac.

So....at this point I'm excited. I have been asked to do a show with a band that is playing a club thats hosting a RAGBRAI stop. Those are ALWAYS fun so this HDRX 20 couldn't of come at a better time.

I will spend more time getting it dialed in and prepping for this summer show coming up!

Your experience with the master is very much in line with mine. I actually liked mine with an open back cab a lot, which isn’t usually an association I’d make with a plexi, but it does dial that bass response in nicely.
I am playing it today but using marshall 1982b with UK greenbacks.

Sounds really good.

I do have a 6505 4x12 that I loaded with UK v30s. Cab is really tight and I thought it would be perfect for low tuning but it might be just the ticket to handle the bass heavy HDRX 20.

I end up killing most of the low end running it like I am now.

I'll have to wait till wife is gone so I can ditch attenuator and see how that works.

So far I'm digging this amp.

Could not bond with custom 50 or mt15.

I kinda wished I'd kept the paisley hxda I had. I bet it would sound good using attenuator. Les tried coaxing me into working with it a little more but I was getting frustrated and I rarely make good decisions when I'm frustrated.

Ugh

At least I have an amp that I don't hate!

Your experience with the master is very much in line with mine. I actually liked mine with an open back cab a lot, which isn’t usually an association I’d make with a plexi, but it does dial that bass response in nicely.
I do have a Mesa roadking 4x12 that is half closed half open. Maybe this is the magic cab????

Tried V30 cab this afternoon but didn't like it. So far g12-65 and gback cabs sound best.

I will say the tone isn't something that I normally go for but it has a very even or balanced sound when chording songs.

The lead tone is what I really dig. There is a sweet spot for sure, too much gain and it STARTS to thin out a bit.

D1 bridge pickup doesn't work so well with this amp but McCarty (5815LT n and 5708 b ) and cu24 (5909) does, in fact, both guitars sound very simular with biggest difference being neck PUs.

One very pleasant surprise is while HB mode with McCarty is very full, the bridge split sounds fantastic. No compromise either way. Bridge split through this amp is something I can use!

On my McCarty I use the coil splits more often than either full h/b - the guitar still sounds uncompromised.

As a mostly S-type user, it's a great variation on my main guitar, but splitting the coils allows me to plug in without having to massively re-jig the EQ/gain on whatever amp I'm using.

I kinda wished I'd kept the paisley hxda I had. I bet it would sound good using attenuator. Les tried coaxing me into working with it a little more but I was getting frustrated and I rarely make good decisions when I'm frustrated.
I think it's great that you found an amp that works for you!

I've made so many mistakes selling amps, with all the consequent regrets; it's usually a very sad tale of stepping on the GAS too soon!

I'll never sell my HXDA or DG30, come hell or high water.

Confession: Despite not needing one, I still have a Komet jones.

Last edited:
I think it's great that you found an amp that works for you!

I've made so many mistakes selling amps, with all the consequent regrets; it's usually a very sad tale of stepping on the GAS too soon!

I'll never sell my HXDA or DG30, come hell or high water.

Confession: Despite not needing one, I still have a Komet jones.
I would love to play a DG30. I have a feeling that amp would be exactly what I was looking for.

That is the bad part of living in SE Iowa. Not a lot of great amps available to try. That and pig manure.

Ugh

Try running the mids down lower than you might usually , I also run the bass and Treble Channels pretty even all the time.
to me the kids breakup in a way I don't love but small changes make all the difference for me , I it mine with a bunch of pedals !!! and am very happy.

Try running the mids down lower than you might usually , I also run the bass and Treble Channels pretty even all the time.
to me the kids breakup in a way I don't love but small changes make all the difference for me , I it mine with a bunch of pedals !!! and am very happy.
I'll try that but so far I have bass at 2-3 all else at 12 noon.

Running both channels even too but ill experiment more with that.

I haven't quite decided how I want to run this amp yet.

I generally don't like od pedals but I might keep tube screamer or blues driver in the chain.....maybe.

I do have an EP Booster that I actually like for boosting solo stuff.

Lots to think about

Back