Pedals and Amps

Maybe a nice big shed for the back yard. I should make sure it is nice an comfortable and had a comfortable bed in it too so I will be comfortable when the wife kicks me out with my gear. :)
Your Gear Would Never Do That To You...Just Sayin. ;)

Then Again, The Gear Can't Do A Lot Of The Things A Good Wife Can.

#Problems #Decisions

:)

The more years I play , the less boxes I use. I have a DG 30 and Blue Sierra 50 Paisley and yep they cover all the bases .. These days after 48 years of playing .. a bit of gain and reverb and I'm happy

Maybe I'll get there someday, but at 57 years old it seems I've got more pedals and pedalboads now than ever before. Granted, I can be playing with 5 different bands at one time and then doing some tribute shows that require me to recreate specific tones and sounds, so all the toys are warranted.

Still, I recently saw Tab Benoit live and was just a little jealous that his signal chain was guitar - cable - amp.
Again, maybe someday...

As far as amps, I've got 4:
Bad Cat Bobcat 20R which is my main gigging amp.
Bad Cat Cub 15R head and Bad Car 212 cabinet for the larger stages or when I need to run in stereo.
Blackstar Studio 10 KT88 which is the basement rehearsal amp.
Fender Super Champ XD which I picked up for a deal and use on the little bitty stages.

I also have a Vox MV50 Boutique which I keep in my gig bag as a backup head when needed, a Line6 HD300 that I barely use and an ancient Line6 PocketPOD that I'm pretty sure has corroded batteries in it...

Running Open Mic for the last 11 months made me admire simplicity , if you've got the talent ..you don't need the boxes .. oh they are a lot of fun though....

if you've got the talent ..you don't need the boxes ..

Yeah, sort of, but try emulating Steve Hackett's guitar parts on the early Genesis albums on talent alone and you will fail miserably. Or Trevor Rabin's solo in "Owner of a Lonely Heart" without some kind of harmonizer. Or U2's "Mysterious Ways" without a specific reverse auto-wah effect.
Just saying. I love simplicity, too, but some mechanics needs lots of tools to do the job correctly. :)

I Avoid Regrets By Buying Everything I Like And Never Selling Anything.
I have a gigantic regret list, starting at birth. Selling gear amounts to only a few regrets among ten zillion of 'em.

On the other hand, having a seemingly infinite number of regrets means I never run out of them, so I look at the bright side: There's a regret for every occasion!

Hey I even regret posting this post! ;)

I have a gigantic regret list, starting at birth. Selling gear amounts to only a few regrets among ten zillion of 'em.

On the other hand, having a seemingly infinite number of regrets means I never run out of them, so I look at the bright side: There's a regret for every occasion!

Hey I even regret posting this post! ;)

“If life seems jolly rotten, there’s something you’ve forgotten….”

I use Cornish, FTT and Lehle pedals with my Two Rocks, Boogies and Fenders. I have a cupboard full of other pedals, but I use most of them infrequently.

I keep pretty much everything I buy, so if it comes in handy every 6 months or so, it pays for itself; and when I'm 75 maybe I'll sell it all off.

I keep pretty much everything I buy, so if it comes in handy every 6 months or so, it pays for itself; and when I'm 75 maybe I'll sell it all off.

I posted a thread in the general discussion section about this, but I just mixed a track played by some famous session players whose work you've heard on countless records, and are now in their 70s. The tracks are freaking incredible.

People can still play their behinds off as long as their hands and brains work. 70s and beyond. Pablo Casals concertized in his 90s (classical cellist). The Rolling Stones are around 80 and just released a new record and will be on tour. Paul McCartney is still at it. I assume they still have their gear.

'Old' doesn't equal 'dead', unless of course you're actually, you know, dead. ;)

I have been running by that playbook for a bit too long now. I am going to have to sell some at some point. I am running out of room and a bigger house is not something I want to pay for.
What About An Additional House? ;)
My wife used to say "you get another guitar and we're going to buy the neighbor's house!"

Now that she is collecting basses, that isn't said so often.

However, I will admit, we have a lot of guitars and other instruments spread around our house. Mandolin, mandola, banjos, ukuleles, dozens of percussion instruments, a full drum kit, keyboards, and tons of acoustic, keyboard/clean, and electric guitar amps. And PA equipment for two small stages. Plus a digeridoo and an erhu - neither are played, really.

I posted a thread in the general discussion section about this, but I just mixed a track played by some famous session players whose work you've heard on countless records, and are now in their 70s. The tracks are freaking incredible.

People can still play their behinds off as long as their hands and brains work. 70s and beyond. Pablo Casals concertized in his 90s (classical cellist). The Rolling Stones are around 80 and just released a new record and will be on tour. Paul McCartney is still at it. I assume they still have their gear.

'Old' doesn't equal 'dead', unless of course you're actually, you know, dead. ;)

I'm not planning on giving up at 75: selling off a heap of pedals that I use only very occasionally wouldn't make much of a dent in the collection.

After all, I still have more than thirty amps - quite a few of which can be used quite satisfactorily with no pedals at all :)

After all, I still have more than thirty amps - quite a few of which can be used quite satisfactorily with no pedals at all :)

You, sir, are now my official Hero of the Day, because I love amps (though I only have four, at least they're good ones)!

Come to think of it, despite my age, and being in the music biz, I'm not sure if I've owned more than 30 amps in my lifetime! :eek:

Last edited:
You, sir, are now my official Hero of the Day, because I love amps (though I only have four, at least they're good ones)!

Come to think of it, despite my age, and being in the music biz, I'm not sure if I've owned more than 30 amps in my lifetime! :eek:
I don't think I have owned 30 in my lifetime either. I have 8 right now and that is the most I have ever had. I keep saying I am going to sell some off because there are really only two that I use these days.

I don't think I have owned 30 in my lifetime either. I have 8 right now and that is the most I have ever had. I keep saying I am going to sell some off because there are really only two that I use these days.
I had 8 at one point, if you include a Mesa 400+ tube bass amp. But that was a short period of time, 20 years ago. Afterward I had only one Two-Rock at a time in the studio for ten years (but I went through several of them as they kept coming out with new model tweaks). They did everything I needed or wanted at the time.

You Better Hurry And Fix That! ;)
Nah. I've had every amp I've ever wanted. I love my current lineup. There isn't much out there that moves the needle. I could be perfectly happy with just the DG30 and HXDA, though it's nice to have the Mesa alternatives.

If something calls out to me as a 'must have', I'll get it. But at the moment there isn't anything I feel that strongly about.

Last edited:
Similar for me - I built my dream pedal board before getting my dream amp. Then I got my amp and now most of the pedals go unused.

FWIW my amp does have a footswitch with 2 channels and boost, and my guitar has coil tap and piezo, so there's that....

Back