Ever have a day when you just hate the sound coming out of your amp?

I wondered about this as well... I've never done hands on research to see what the power in my home is doing, but I've definitely heard about it in the guitar community.

Another pondering... is it possible the amount of crunch you're getting from the amp itself is changing the way the pedals sound? You mentioned that your TS is not as clean as your other amp, and if the amp is breaking up when the pedal hits it, especially different amounts on different days, that could be a factor.
I had the channel I was on set clean. It will do clean pretty well, just not as sparkly clean as the other amp. The other amp is a Fender circuit. That is why I have both of these amps. They provide pretty different things and I like what both of them do. The amp was set the same as it was the last time I played it. I just chalked it up to having a day where it sounded crappy to me.

I got a chance to plug in today at lunch time. I haven't changed a thing since I was getting sounds I couldn't stand. The clean sounded good. I decided to switch to the channel that I had gained up and it was glorious. I then went back to the clean channel and kicked in the Muse. It sounded boxy and a little bright and a little push in the mids. I adjusted the pedal, cut the tone way back and the gain and flipped both switches to the AT side. What a difference. It sounded much closer to the drive channel. I really do have to set my pedals very different for this amp. Once I do that, it sounds really good.

I’m wondering if the voltage and impedance of the electricity to your outlet is changing…
I wondered about this as well... I've never done hands on research to see what the power in my home is doing, but I've definitely heard about it in the guitar community.
These are interesting comments, gents.

I have a Furman PF1800 PFR power supply that has a voltage readout on the front. The voltage here varies from 120 to as high as 125, and the amps sound a little different when the voltage goes up.

I've actually thought about buying a voltage regulator to have tone consistency.

But there's one other factor I want to mention in the "maybe it's me" department:

Our brains operate on glucose. These levels fluctuate quite a bit during the day, and every day is different. Because I'm diabetic I check my glucose constantly, and I notice that when my glucose is low, things sound a little different than when my glucose is normal. Same if it goes high.

Even my visual perception changes a bit, especially peripheral vision.

So yes, it could be the power fluctuating, and it could be our brains, or some combination of both.

Then there's our hands. I find if my touch is heavier on a particular day for some reason, throwing the tuning stability awry a tiny bit, I can't stand listening to my playing.

Of course, at times I'm not the only one who can't stand listening to my playing! Oh, hello honey, how was your day? 😂

What amp? What pedals?

I had days like this with the Mark V... I know... "you don't need pedals with a Mark V!" Well, I could never get a JCM800 type sound from it that I was pleased with. Some days I liked my tone FAR better with my modified BSIAB build than anything I could get out of the amp. Other days, it didn't seem to like that or OCD. Barber Direct Drive was pretty good, but is GREAT with every other amp.

But most of my amps ROCK pedals. The Archon sounds great using it's clean channel with any number of OD and distortion pedals I have, and so does the Bogner ATMA. The Mesa TA killed with pedals. The Marks V and V25, didn't love many pedals. Oh, and the Mini Recto also did very well with pedals. My PRS H and Custom 50 both loved pedals. Of all the amps I've tried, my Mark V's were the pickiest amps on pedals, by far.
Yes I hate how I sound from time to time , usually I am just tired or played to loud the day before ear fatigue is a thing and certain sounds can be very irrating , I have taken to starting every playing session playing clean for a bit seemed to help me.
Agreed The MKV is a tough one with pedals BUT I just found the J Rockett Melody pedal that just KILLS with the MK V and I run two of my old pedals with it.

Our brains operate on glucose. These levels fluctuate quite a bit during the day, and every day is different. Because I'm diabetic I check my glucose constantly, and I notice that when my glucose is low, things sound a little different than when my glucose is normal. Same if it goes high.

I thought tone was in the fingers?
So instead it’s in the blood?

I’ll eat more sugar so my tone is sweet.
Thanks Les

🤓

Yes I hate how I sound from time to time , usually I am just tired or played to loud the day before ear fatigue is a thing and certain sounds can be very irrating , I have taken to starting every playing session playing clean for a bit seemed to help me.
Agreed The MKV is a tough one with pedals BUT I just found the J Rockett Melody pedal that just KILLS with the MK V and I run two of my old pedals with it.
I know I’ve said this before, but I really wish I had the Zbest cab before I sold the V. Might have made it a keeper had I tried it with more high powered greenback type speakers instead of all V30s.

Did you lads consider of getting one of these?

I'm thinking about it, although I find difficult to justify dropping £500 for something I'm not sure I have a problem with

Did you lads consider of getting one of these?

I'm thinking about it, although I find difficult to justify dropping £500 for something I'm not sure I have a problem with
Yes, that's one of the two things I looked at. The other is a Furman voltage regulator that simply keeps everything at 120V.

And yeah, it really is a little difficult to spend a good deal of money on something that only makes a subtle difference. So I dunno. However, one of these two is on my 'check this out' list.

I think that'll be on hold until I get the orchestral recording I have planned done.

I’m wondering if the voltage and impedance of the electricity to your outlet is changing… I spent over 40 years working at a power plant and know the grid changes in voltage and impedance over time of day/night and load on the grid. Heavily loaded or lightly loaded sections of the grid tend to get the phase angle between voltage and current out of phase. This is known as VARS ( volt amperes reactive). Sometimes voltage leads current, sometimes it lags current. Our amps may be sensitive to the change in VARS. Voltage can also drift high and low depending on excess load or light loaded sections of the grid. California has this problem so badly that Tesla Power Walls were designed and sold to produce clean and regulated AC power from a battery driven inverter at your home or business. VanHalen loved his “brown sound” from purposely lowering the voltage to his amp with a Variac, a form of adjustable transformer. Something to consider…
I am now using a variac but mostly to keep voltage to my amp consistent and at the level prs recommends.

I have a Furman PF1800 PFR power supply that has a voltage readout on the front. The voltage here varies from 120 to as high as 125, and the amps sound a little different when the voltage goes up.

I've actually thought about buying a voltage regulator to have tone consistency.

But there's one other factor I want to mention in the "maybe it's me" department:

Even my visual perception changes a bit, especially peripheral vision.

So yes, it could be the power fluctuating, and it could be our brains, or some combination of both.

Then there's our hands. I find if my touch is heavier on a particular day for some reason, throwing the tuning stability awry a tiny bit, I can't stand listening to my playing.

Of course, at times I'm not the only one who can't stand listening to my playing! Oh, hello honey, how was your day? 😂
The advantage of the variac is being able to set voltage at 117 should you happen to be using a vintage fender.

The dial on mine is not accurate and I didn't expect it to be so I have this inline unit I picked up ten years ago.

It toggles between volts, amps and watts automatically so I plug it into variac and plug my amp into this unit. I checked it against my fluke meter and confirmed that it is accurate.

I'm pretty sure it's psychosomatic, I find it's good to take the opportunity to start experimenting with radically different sounds, even a different music style at that point.

Eventually you'll go back to the original sound and think it's the best thing since fresh bread.

I'm pretty sure it's psychosomatic, I find it's good to take the opportunity to start experimenting with radically different sounds, even a different music style at that point.

Eventually you'll go back to the original sound and think it's the best thing since fresh bread.
The idea of using that time to experiment is a really good one!

I am now using a variac but mostly to keep voltage to my amp consistent and at the level prs recommends.

I run my stuff from a 1.5kW medical-grade power interface these days. I also have step-downs that I can hang off it, and that run at a non-fluctuating 110V or 120V.

The only thing that fluctuates is me, and I'm well aware when it's happening.

I've learned that, with an effort of will power, I can push past any muzziness, or not hearing the changes as I work through my warmup and practice regime, or any lack of "feel" that afflicts me on any given day.

Time and patience, alongside a stubborn refusal to walk away from the musical equivalent of a "car-crash" day. We all get those, and it's just a feature of being human and having ups and downs.

What I really love, of course, are the days when I've had a good night's sleep and am literally running around buzzing with positive energy. Then everything just seems so effortless.

I have a Mesa 5:50 Express + and could find a setting I liked and the next day I hayed it. Until I bought the Boss IR II and am running it through my board and this amp. I love it!!! Consistency with this setup really surprises me.

Yes, that's one of the two things I looked at. The other is a Furman voltage regulator that simply keeps everything at 120V.

And yeah, it really is a little difficult to spend a good deal of money on something that only makes a subtle difference. So I dunno. However, one of these two is on my 'check this out' list.

I think that'll be on hold until I get the orchestral recording I have planned done.

I think I will get it eventually. My wall socket is relatively clean, and I have not had significant noise issues. However, the voltage is much higher than the nominal 230VAC specified for the UK. I use a plug tester with a voltage meter, and it rarely goes below 240VAC. Throughout the day, it varies between 237-242VDC. Although I am not well-versed in the math behind it, I am sure that it affects the changes in tone

I've experienced this over the years. Not often. I have determined it's usually a fluke... humidity, or maybe THAT DAY the wall voltage was fluctuating for some reason (not in my home, but the grid itself... I have checked with a meter, but have never caught it happening). Occasionally it'll be a power tube starting to get weak/go bad, but I know when those symptoms are. To be honest, I haven't had this "bad day" phenomena happen in awhile.... so maybe it's just my ears, my mood that day, etc.

I don't fret over it, it corrects itself. I will say the ONE thing I have learned that can easily cause this is running the volume on overdrive pedals too low. I always try to have my OD pedals at unity, but that's tricky because if the are even a LITTLE under unity, the whole thing sounds weak. These days, I run them a little OVER unity, just to ensure this does not happen. Every time I feel like something is feeling a bit "small" or "weak", if I'm using an OD I'll turn it up a little and voila'! I'm back!

My wall socket is relatively clean, and I have not had significant noise issues. However, the voltage is much higher than the nominal 230VAC specified for the UK.

Ah, but it's never really been 230V.

That's purely a nominal figure - it came as part and parcel of the legal wording kludge to "harmonise" UK/EU voltages. It's been 240V in the vast majority of the UK ever since the late 1950s IIRC.

Last edited:
Every now and again. Its usually solved by plugging into another amp
I have a Mesa Roadster. I haven't played through it in a number of years now. There is about a 50% chance that the next time I play through it, I decide it is time to sell it. I had decided to sell it once before but the market was really bad for 100 watt amps. I had all sorts of people that wanted the cabinet. I told everyone that the only way the cabinet gets sold separately is if someone want to buy only the head. Then I will decide to either sell the cabinet or keep it.

FWIW I plugged into my roadster for the first time in like 6 months last week and was blown away. Forgot how good it sounds, all I've been playing the last few days

I think the market for roadsters is still in favor of the buyers right now... I see people attempting to list them around 1800 but the ones that are actually selling are going for like 1300-1500

Every now and again. Its usually solved by plugging into another amp

FWIW I plugged into my roadster for the first time in like 6 months last week and was blown away. Forgot how good it sounds, all I've been playing the last few days

I think the market for roadsters is still in favor of the buyers right now... I see people attempting to list them around 1800 but the ones that are actually selling are going for like 1300-1500
That is about what I figured on the selling price. I have thought about selling it a few times. I actually listed it on Craigslist at one point. EVERYONE wanted to buy the cabinet. I put right in the ad that I won't separate the cabinet and head unless someone wanted to just buy the head. If I can't sell the head, I want the cabinet with it. That is the only way I can use it... I even had a couple of friends of mine try to buy just the cabinet. I think I slightly ticked one of them off by telling him what I put in the ad. I guess he thought that since he was a friend that didn't apply to him.

Back