He shoots...he scores! My new old amp!

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Nope...no word on the HDRX 20 yet. PRS is still working on repairing that one I guess.

So instead I was poking around on Facebook Marketplace this morning and saw a 60's Fender Bassman head listed.

I've been needing a dedicated bass amp and a bass cab too.

Messaged the guy and asked if he needed anything in trade and he said he needed an acoustic guitar amp. Told him I had a nice SWR California Blonde acoustic amp like Jackson Browne and Lindsey Buckingham use and he was interested.

Got together at 10:00 AM and did the trade. I wasn't expecting him to also bring a Peavey 2:12 bass cab but he did, and he just threw it in because the speakers buzz. So I gave him an extra Crate 1:12 w/horn PA cab I had and he can connect that to the SWR if he wants to use it as a PA.

These Peavey bass cabs are highly regarded and use Scorpion speakers which are sort of Peavey's take on an ElectroVoice EVM12.

But if the Scorpions blow, you can replace the basket and voice coil yourself and make them new again.

The speakers are gonna need that unfortunately. But heck...they were free!

Last edited:
Excellent!

A vintage Bassman is on the list of amps I’d like to try. It’s funny because people seem to love them, yet they aren’t so in demand that the prices have gone astronomical.
They're great 40 watt amps. All hand wired.

One guitar channel and one bass channel.

No reverb or tremolo of course.

They're killer platforms for mods of course and many have been turned into raging rock machines.

But this one's stock and staying that way.

Can't quite figure out what's up with the free Peavey speaker cabinet. Sometimes both speakers work...sometime only one. And sometimes that one that works sounds really good, so maybe only one is blown.

When the speaker blows you take the magnet off, throw the basket away or recycle it, or sell it as used but repairable, and then you put the magnet on a new voice coil and basket.

Question is whether to spend money on Scorpions or just put some Celestions in that cab.

This is how the Peavey Scorpions look without the magnet:

Well the speakers are shot. Great free cabinet tho.

Rather than replace the Peaveys at $125 a pop, I think I'll put some Celestion G12H30's in there. The 75 Hz version is my fave guitar speaker and ought to sound good for guitar or bass in that cab.

But the 50 Hz version is the bass speaker Hendrix used for the Wind Cries Mary. Used Noel Redding's bass amp.

Going to start looking for a pair of those...

Well the speakers are shot. Great free cabinet tho.

Rather than replace the Peaveys at $125 a pop, I think I'll put some Celestion G12H30's in there. The 75 Hz version is my fave guitar speaker and ought to sound good for guitar or bass in that cab.

But the 50 Hz version is the bass speaker Hendrix used for the Wind Cries Mary. Used Noel Redding's bass amp.

Going to start looking for a pair of those...
Might consider one 75 hz and one 55hz, if you don’t want to jump into the deep end with two 55’s

I loved my Black Panel '67 Bassman head and had it a long time. I gigged it. The thing never needed a tube change (though I did change the output tubes just because I was supposed to at some point.

The old Bassman heads are among the best amps ever, at least IMHO. I think the Bassman was also the platform that Dumble used, and some of the early Dumbles still had original Fender transformers. Caveat: I never took apart a Dumble, but then I also never took apart a Bassman. The most I can do on an amp is change a fuse, remove and install tubes, and simple biasing.

"Can you actually, you know, use the amp, Laz?"

"By 'use the amp', do you mean set it up in my studio and look at it?"

"Well that's part of it but..."

"Then yes, I use the amps!" ;)

I loved my Black Panel '67 Bassman head and had it a long time. I gigged it. The thing never needed a tube change (though I did change the output tubes just because I was supposed to at some point.

The old Bassman heads are among the best amps ever, at least IMHO. I think the Bassman was also the platform that Dumble used, and some of the early Dumbles still had original Fender transformers. Caveat: I never took apart a Dumble, but then I also never took apart a Bassman. The most I can do on an amp is change a fuse, remove and install tubes, and simple biasing.

"Can you actually, you know, use the amp, Laz?"

"By 'use the amp', do you mean set it up in my studio and look at it?"

"Well that's part of it but..."

"Then yes, I use the amps!" ;)
Well I'm having a ball "using" it!

Just need to get some speakers in that Peavey cab so I don't blow the 1:12 in my Matchless speaker cab.

I enjoy playing bass. I've always had at least one bass in my stash.

Started off on a Supro Pocket Bass.
Now I have this one tricked out with Gotoh tuners, Hipshot bridge and Bartolini pickups.

Made by Cort so "yes" there is a PRS connection of sorts.

Last edited:
Might consider one 75 hz and one 55hz, if you don’t want to jump into the deep end with two 55’s
Found a great deal on two 75 Hz. G12H30's and bought them as a pair.

I don't play that loudly on bass, They'll be fine. If they had been 55 Hz that would have been fine too!

I have too many projects going on...

Last edited:
43 years ago I used a black face Bassman into a Marshall 4×12.
Divine tone.

Last edited:
43 years ago I used a black face Bassman into a Marshall 4×12.
Devine tone.
How loud could you turn it up? I haven't turned this one up passed 4, but man I sure used to, trying to get Eric Clapton's Marshall tone from a blackface Fender.

Looking forward to hearing it with the two Celestion G12H30 speakers I'm putting in the Peavey cab it came with.

Should be good with both guitar and bass.

How loud could you turn it up? I haven't turned this one up passed 4, but man I sure used to, trying to get Eric Clapton's Marshall tone from a blackface Fender.

Looking forward to hearing it with the two Celestion G12H30 speakers I'm putting in the Peavey cab it came with.

Should be good with both guitar and bass.
I cranked it up. We put it in the closet and closed the doors.

Back