Fender Tone Master Pro, a quick review

Joe Satriani was seen playing through one recently with Sammy Hagar (Eddie Trunk video interview).

Couldn't find the full clip on YT, but here's a taste. Look closely and you will see the FTMP...

Having followed up on this by looking at the FR12 speaker has thrown a wrench into checking further. Early problems with hiss, especially in the 12" version, caused people to begin tearing into them and identifying problem components. My understanding is that later versions had modded circuits that addressed the issue (no statement from Fender on this, just using internet research on it), and then suddenly they were out of stock everywhere... including Fender.com! So, my total guess, connecting-the-dots assumption is that they've found the problem, are fixing it quietly before re-releasing.

All good for me either way, I've got 2 CLRs and an NX12SMA here. But whenever the new speakers are out there, I do plan on grabbing one for a test. When that happens, I'll either update here or maybe do a "FR12 Review" thread of its own.

Update on the TMP. My guitar bud is using it, and digging what it’s doing for him. He’s a Tele player, and tweaked everything for the tone he likes. He’s got a good ear for guitar tone, and is coming up with some nice fits for the songs we’re doing. The big deal on this is he has never gotten along with any modeler option, and this is the only one he’s ever gotten on with… that interface is the bridge that he could get across to test the waters without feeling like he was drowning. I dig that.

For what we’re doing, it’s a win. I’ve no idea how Fender will support it, but can already say they won’t be Fractal-Audio-Systems-like in adding updates or functions. That’s a high bar to meet, so I’m hoping they’ll at least be better than other companies that put out updates like Boston used to put out albums. Lol

Update on the TMP. My guitar bud is using it, and digging what it’s doing for him. He’s a Tele player, and tweaked everything for the tone he likes. He’s got a good ear for guitar tone, and is coming up with some nice fits for the songs we’re doing. The big deal on this is he has never gotten along with any modeler option, and this is the only one he’s ever gotten on with… that interface is the bridge that he could get across to test the waters without feeling like he was drowning. I dig that.

For what we’re doing, it’s a win. I’ve no idea how Fender will support it, but can already say they won’t be Fractal-Audio-Systems-like in adding updates or functions. That’s a high bar to meet, so I’m hoping they’ll at least be better than other companies that put out updates like Boston used to put out albums. Lol
That's great to hear, and a useful real world endorsement. What is he playing through, PA, or?

That's great to hear, and a useful real world endorsement. What is he playing through, PA, or?
We tried it through my FRFRs (RCF and CLR), which sounded good, but we’ve gone pretty much to IEMs now, so it’s all direct to the board and coming back in aux mixes through Sennheiser G4 wireless stuff. He’s new to the world of modelers and managed to delete (without having saved) a preset we’ve been working on for a few weeks. I have to admit I’ve done it more than once myself before learning the “save as you go” habit. He’ll learn! The good thing is that he was able to reconstruct another one in a fraction of the time, all by himself. That was a great sign.

He’s seeing the value of it, and with more familiarity from the interface it’s working for him. Now that they’ve added an update with more linking features and their version of auto-engage, it’s getting more useable all the time. That there was a large update in the first year was encouraging as well. Not Fractal-level encouraging, but a good omen that it won’t be the once-and-done product I feared.

Back