Michael Hedges Crowdsource Campaign

So bummed when Hedges died. I started getting into his music in the early 90's. He came to Salt Lake and so I went to the show.....but for some reason I had a nasty headache all day, and during the show, so the whole experience was kind of a downer. I was determined to see him again.

Then, about two or so years later, he died. I was telling my dad (he was a fan too) about his passing.....and then he tells me, "yeah, he was just here a couple months ago". This was before the internet so I did not hear that he came to Salt Lake again and I missed it......then he died a couple months after.

So bummed when Hedges died. I started getting into his music in the early 90's. He came to Salt Lake and so I went to the show.....but for some reason I had a nasty headache all day, and during the show, so the whole experience was kind of a downer. I was determined to see him again.

Then, about two or so years later, he died. I was telling my dad (he was a fan too) about his passing.....and then he tells me, "yeah, he was just here a couple months ago". This was before the internet so I did not hear that he came to Salt Lake again and I missed it......then he died a couple months after.

I got to see him three times. My buddy turned me on to him - he'd been a fan for years before. At the last show we saw (a couple weeks before he died), my buddy had tix for it, but the Penguins announced that they were retiring Mario Lemieux's jersey that night. So he and his wife bought tix for the Pens game, went long enough to see the jersey retirement, then came to the Hedges show. They sat down and he asked me what Hedges played. I said, "Aerial Boundaries blah blah blah" for the first four or five songs. He said, "F*ck you, don't just list my favorites, what did he play?" His face sunk when he realized I wasn't joking (I honestly didn't know his favorites, but Hedges had played most of them). He was heartbroken when Hedges died, as I was (my wife took the kids to her parents' house for something that night, and my son, who was three, told my mother-in-law, "Daddy's sad because the guitar man died."), and I said, "At least you got to see him play your favorites one last ti...oh, right."

Fast-forward three years, and Lemieux unretired. I texted him and said, "So, are you going to skip a concert for this?"

Glad to see some other fans here. Dude was incredible to watch. I've done a couple of his tunes - well, one full tune, and I had an arrangement of Watchtower in mind for years that combined his with an electric version, and I did a similar thing w/Zappa's "Sofa".

Same guy who turned me on to him texted me today and asked me if I was getting one of his guitars. If you didn't look at the pledge levels, for $25k you can get one of four guitars that I don't think he was ever pictured using.

I never got to see him live. I was turned on to him by a fellow engineering student my freshman year in college around '85/'86. He was big into Windham Hill. To this day I'm amazed by the amount of music he was able to create with just him and a guitar. Okay, he often also had a harp, but still...

This reminds me, I need to check in on where the Danny Gatton biopic stands.

Big fan here - saw him several times in the early-mid 90's. Met him before a show in Buffalo - very cool guy.

Back