Introduce yourself!

Hi all, I'm a long time guitarist in my 50s, mainly a hobbyist songwriter. Got my first PRS on reverb after learning about the care PRS puts into instruments. It's a used 2021 SE Starla. Unfortunately the nut is cut too deep on a couple open strings, so have to replace that to get rid of buzzing, but looking forward to playing it more once I get the parts and do the repair. I do like the jangly sound. Bit surprised by how wide the fretboard is, so will have to get used to that after being accustomed to thinner Yamaha fretboard for many years.

Hi

Quick question as I’m a new boy here.

My intro post has now gone into moderation but I’m unsure why. It seemed visible for a time but is now marked ‘hidden to normal visitors’.

The only reason I can think of is that I had to edit it many times as I couldn’t work out how to post a picture. Took about 5 attempts.

Don’t want to break any rules on day one as I moderate on some other forum sites myself, but would anyone have any ideas.

Thnx.

Hi

Quick question as I’m a new boy here.

My intro post has now gone into moderation but I’m unsure why. It seemed visible for a time but is now marked ‘hidden to normal visitors’.

The only reason I can think of is that I had to edit it many times as I couldn’t work out how to post a picture. Took about 5 attempts.

Don’t want to break any rules on day one as I moderate on some other forum sites myself, but would anyone have any ideas.

Thnx.
I think it is probably in moderation because you added a pic to a post and don't yet have enough posts to let you post a pic! I don't recall the exact number, but I believe you need 5 or 10 posts before you are allowed to post pix, and as of my writing of this post, you have 4 so far. I am sure it will get approved, but if not, get your post count up and then try it again ;~))

I think it is probably in moderation because you added a pic to a post and don't yet have enough posts to let you post a pic! I don't recall the exact number, but I believe you need 5 or 10 posts before you are allowed to post pix, and as of my writing of this post, you have 4 so far. I am sure it will get approved, but if not, get your post count up and then try it again ;~))
Thanks Moondog,

I figured that might be the reason. There was a message on approval that you need three posts before posting a link.

On one site where I Mod, pics can be posted from local devices but of course here is different as it need to be accessed from a pic host site - so guess that counts as a link.

Every day's a school day :cool:

Here she is and what a delight to play, a very different sound to my Revstar which is exactly what I wanted....very happy!

Whats-App-Image-2023-10-31-at-12-30-47-30af2673.jpg

My two beauties together.

Whats-App-Image-2023-10-31-at-12-30-36-9add6ff1.jpg

o_O:)

Nice guitars! :cool: I really like your Revstar's Swift Blue finish w/ cream racing stripes, pickguard, and pickup rings! Looks amazing, as does the PRS SE double cut.

I just recently picked up two Yamaha Revstar II Standards - a dual humbucker RSS20 in black, and a dual P90 RSS02T in a flame maple Sunset Burst finish. Both are fantastic guitars! QC is amazing, especially at this price point. The fretwork is perhaps the best I've encountered below $1,000. The Revstar II Standards are the first new guitar(s) in nearly 20 years that I'm genuinely excited about!

I own very few things that are factory stock. Nearly everything has been modified/upgraded, and the Revstar guitars are an excellent platform for modification and upgrades, so... I've made a few modifications to both guitars. I swapped the stock tuners for locking units on both. I also upgraded all of the internal electronics (CTS pots, CRL and Fender blade switches, and Switchcraft output jacks).

The RSS02T P90 Revstar II 5-way 'super switch' was swapped out for a Fender 5-way 'super switch, and rewired to match Psionic Audio's specs (https://psionicaudio.com/pdfs/Psionic_Audio_Revstar_Wiring_Mods.pdf - a significant improvement to the stock configuration).

The RSS20 humbucker Revstar II's 5-way blade switch was swapped out for a CRL 3-way blade switch, now a simple 'bridge pickup / both pickups / neck pickup' arrangement. The 'Focus' switches and transformers were removed from both guitars.

The volume pots were swapped out for RS Guitarworks 500k super pots (far better taper than standard CTS audio taper pots) and the tone pots were upgraded to CTS 500k audio taper pots, and both are wired to Gibson 50's wiring for tone controls (perhaps the best mod of the bunch), which on its own offers more versatility than s is available from the stock 5-way switch and Focus transformer controls.

I have a bunch of aftermarket pickup sets on hand (both humbuckers and P90's, Seymour Duncans, Lindy Fralin's, Wolfetone's, Gibson's, others) and so I installed and compared a variety of pickup sets to compare with the stock pickups in each guitar. To my surprise I found the stock pickups sounded better than any of the aftermarket pickupsthat I currently have on hand. I have a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover PAF's with 'zebra' bobbins (black/cream) on the way for the RSS20 to see how they compare to the stock pickups. These are perhaps my favorite humbuckers, and they sound a fair bit like the RSS20 pickups with a bit more presence/treble than the stock Yamaha pickups, and they're a bit more expressive IMO.

The RSS02T's stock P90 pickups provide better clarity than any of the other pickup sets that I own. They sound beautiful when played clean and they do the rock thing as well as any P90's I've used. Incredibly versatile pickups that work well for any genre.

Lastly, I swapped the black pickguard out for a cream version, and cream pickup rings are due to arrive from Yamaha in the next few weeks. These are the same pickguard and rings as those that are factory installed on your blue RSS20 (or RSP20?). I also put cream switch tips and cream Gibson style speed knobs on both guitars.

I'll post pics of my Revstar II guitars later this week, when I have a few moments to take some pictures.

....that Swift Blue finish is truly stunning! :)

Morning all- reintroducing myself. I joined the forum back in June of 2019 because I’d just purchased a Zach Myers…well, like so many guitars before it, it had a short time with me before it moved on to another owner.

Fast forward 4+ years and a pandemic and I’ve picked up a 2018 S2 Single Cut Standard 22 that I realized after purchasing belonged to a member here on the forum.

My other electric is a 2012 Gibson SG (2013 specs), which I may or may not hang onto depending on how the S2 pans out.

So my 3rd PRS adventure begins…

Hello! I'm new here. Introduction. I am not much of a guitar geek, but I have been playing guitar since 1967 and still love to gig, playing mostly jazz now. I own one standard PRS that I bought from Bruce S. at GE in Baltimore in 1986, when Paul was hauling around his guitars to local stores from his car I believe. And yes, the SN is within the first year and first 1000 produced (I'm the only and original owner). Not that I plan to sell it, I am still curious to know what it would appraise for. Of course I realize any product in general whether it is a guitar or a house is worth what a BUYER is willing to pay for!
Plus, I have a few musician friends who know or knew Paul (Gary G., Carl F., Bernie N. included) and it's on my bucket list to meet Paul one day!!
Originally from Baltimore- Currently in Charlottesville VA. Cheers!
What a great story! Originally from Frederick now living in Richmond, so another Maryland to VA transplant.

I think my intro post has likely vanished never to seen again. Will give it a day and see if it gets sprung. :confused:

Morning all- reintroducing myself. I joined the forum back in June of 2019 because I’d just purchased a Zach Myers…well, like so many guitars before it, it had a short time with me before it moved on to another owner.

Fast forward 4+ years and a pandemic and I’ve picked up a 2018 S2 Single Cut Standard 22 that I realized after purchasing belonged to a member here on the forum.

My other electric is a 2012 Gibson SG (2013 specs), which I may or may not hang onto depending on how the S2 pans out.

So my 3rd PRS adventure begins…
Glad you are back in the fold! The S2 Standard should move you along nicely in your PRS journey!! Enjoy the ride ;~))

I think my intro post has likely vanished never to seen again. Will give it a day and see if it gets sprung. :confused:
We shall plan a vigil and start a go fund me page for your post ;~)) I hope you will not require counseling for this loss! If you do need help, buying and additional PRS guitar (or accessory) would most likely ease your mental burden!!

Well my post's is out of the dock and back on the forum again.

It's on the previous page 257. Anyone know the model? I think it was customised by the shop I bought it from. I put the history of it in that post.

Cheers.

Hello folks.

Happy to have found this place. I joined after getting a new SE 24-08 Standard last week and I already love it. The one in the avatar.

The first proper big boy guitar was my '72 hardtail Strat (no trem) bought new back then and it's still with me. Would never sell it.

But I also have another PRS I bought from a guitar shop in London in the '90s. Chandler Guitars. Not the manufacturer. Name's a coincidence ;)I think it was customised by one of the guys who worked there. As PRSes go, it's very un-glam from the point of view of body finish. It's solid black with no grain on show. I just had to have it back then. However, I have never known what model it is. Someone once suggested it might have been something called an S4? but I've never known if they were correct.

I intend to post a pic in the 1st PRS forum and hope the collective might be able to give me clue as to what it is / or used to be ;).

It's just got one pot - volume, no tone. Also, three pickups. Humbucker (killer sound but unmarked) on the bridge and two singles (Strat style) for the middle and neck - strangely both are set up like those of a Strat (on the angle).

Looks like an EG4. I'm guessing it was mod-ed. The pick guard and truss rod cover match, but they would have been plain white, and they came with 3 pots, not just one. Someone's attempt at a super strat, perhaps

Well my post's is out of the dock and back on the forum again.

It's on the previous page 257. Anyone know the model? I think it was customised by the shop I bought it from. I put the history of it in that post.

Cheers.
Nice lookin' axe! I can't help with the model, but I would trust @bodia on this!! When he is not strutting around in his mankini, he usually is giving good info ;~))

Back