Intro and the perfect PRS trio

If you had an old HBI and DGT, what would be your 3 PRS guitar solution to the covering the most tones with 3 guitars?
There are lots of great choices; it really depends on personal taste.

I'd get a Singlecut. The extra mass of the body, and stiffness of the neck due to the upper bout extending farther upward seems to matter and give the guitar an oomph that's characteristic of SC style guitars. Maybe a 594 SC.

Or for a different flavor, a Custom 24. As others have said, a Soapbar model is another different sounding choice, and PRS soapbar models are terrific examples of the genre.

I think your DGT covers most of the bases a Hiland, older CE or SAS would.

There are lots of great choices; it really depends on personal taste.

I'd get a Singlecut. The extra mass of the body, and stiffness of the neck due to the upper bout extending farther upward seems to matter and give the guitar an oomph that's characteristic of SC style guitars. Maybe a 594 SC.

Or for a different flavor, a Custom 24. As others have said, a Soapbar model is another different sounding choice, and PRS soapbar models are terrific examples of the genre.

I think your DGT covers most of the bases a Hiland, older CE or SAS would.
Interesting. I hadn’t thought of it like that. My DGT sounds great but is currently inhibited by changes in the wiring made by the previous owner. They grounded the split wires and so the push-pull is nonfunctional. I have my tools in storage while moving so have not been able to address it. Soon though.

Based on what you have, and if I was picking one more to fill out my "rig" it would be the Silver Sky or Fiore (in Black Iris, as the semi transparent finishes don't thrill me). Having those in between tones with either of these would be fulfilling to my ears. I recall seeing the Police on their reunion tour in 2008 and Andy Summers used his red strat for all but two songs that night...bridge pickup all the time, still sounding like the recordings.
FWIW, the Police are my favorite band, I discovered them in junior high when I started playing guitar.

Welcome aboard !

My reverb searches usually have condition poor, fair, and good checked only.

It is also a function of comfort letting all my guitars sit out even when my kids are having grand adventures in the house.

Hmmmm… too pretty.

Lol. If it looked like someone had played the crap out of it, I be more interested.
The counter argument could be that I could play the crap out of it. To that, I usually don’t play something I become concerned about damaging. So I am never going to play the crap out of it.
That guitar is about as plain Jane as they come from PRS IMO! Yes, still beautiful in a very natural way, but bling is certainly not it's middle name ;~)) Yeah, in good shape, not beat up, but too pretty? To each his own! Just trying to help ;~))

Based on what you have, and if I was picking one more to fill out my "rig" it would be the Silver Sky or Fiore (in Black Iris, as the semi transparent finishes don't thrill me). Having those in between tones with either of these would be fulfilling to my ears. I recall seeing the Police on their reunion tour in 2008 and Andy Summers used his red strat for all but two songs that night...bridge pickup all the time, still sounding like the recordings.
FWIW, the Police are my favorite band, I discovered them in junior high when I started playing guitar.

Welcome aboard !
Must have been awesome to see that concert.

I am always impressed by the tone Summers gets out of a Strat. Sometimes classic Strat and sometimes his jazz touch just mellows it out.

That guitar is about as plain Jane as they come from PRS IMO! Yes, still beautiful in a very natural way, but bling is certainly not it's middle name ;~)) Yeah, in good shape, not beat up, but too pretty? To each his own! Just trying to help ;~))
I appreciate it.
I agree it is plain Jane. But it is kinda like beautiful in a Jane in Wednesday night sweats way instead of Friday night club dress.
I guess I am looking for Saturday afternoon torn jeans, dirty t-shirt, 2 beers in after just finishing a 10 mile hike or a lot of yard work.

Think I have taken that metaphor as far as I could. Lol

Velas are magical - you need to check out a Vela. Think of a cross between a Tele and an SG that spent a lot of time hanging out with a Gretsch - completely its own thing, but covers a good amount of territory. Either solid or semi-hollow, both are fantastic.

Here's my new one:
tsvela1.jpg

Played a couple Velas in shops.
Sound amazing and so resonant. I just don’t gravitate towards them for some reason.
I did see the surf green one on Reverb that gave me pause though.

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here and I like to introduce myself as well as the opinion of the community.

I have be playing for a few decades now for the stress relief it brings. After years of trying different major Fender and Gibson guitars and not finding any that I connected with for long, I picked up a 20yr Hollowbody I. It has changed things for me. Just so enjoyable to play. This lead to a beat up DGT. Fantastic guitar and the first one I can easily play standing without and bunch adjustments to strap height.

So the question:
If you had an old HBI and DGT, what would be your 3 PRS guitar solution to the covering the most tones with 3 guitars?
I have my opinions and have been thinking SAS, CE, or Johnny Hiland. But I wonder what you all think bc I suspect many of you have much more knowledge about the PRS catalogue than I do.

Pdlhd
I don't know how things would shake out comparatively, but I own a Johnny Hiland and it can cover most tones...not that I use them much. I will qualify this by saying I like lower output humbuckers in the bridge position that eat up the gain for my main lead tone.

I think you’d be on the right track finding an Ash/maple guitar. Probably your best chance at finding a worn one is the OG SAS. I sadly had to sell mine as it was too bright and different from my custom 22 to use as a back up. I only had those 2 and being in a band needed something I could switch to and get similar tones.

I was going suggest a satin Vela. The satin finishes wear quickly and the Vela’s, despite being mahogany, can get some jangle and snap. If they don’t appeal to you, I get that too though. Still would be worth trying one in a store if you can.

Alrighty… so after a little while here is the update. I purchased a 25th anniversary SAS. Brought it home and for some reason it had a bad vibe. Played great. Sounded great. Just had this weird vibe about it and I don’t usually think in that way. Best I could equate it to was seeing it in the guitar stand was like seeing Stephen King’s Christine parked at the curb. Spooky.

So I dialed in my partscaster tele and that is my perfect 3rd guitar….
Well until the Myles Kennedy and the NF53 get tested out and within my spending range.

Alrighty… so after a little while here is the update. I purchased a 25th anniversary SAS. Brought it home and for some reason it had a bad vibe. Played great. Sounded great. Just had this weird vibe about it and I don’t usually think in that way. Best I could equate it to was seeing it in the guitar stand was like seeing Stephen King’s Christine parked at the curb. Spooky.

So I dialed in my partscaster tele and that is my perfect 3rd guitar….
Well until the Myles Kennedy and the NF53 get tested out and within my spending range.
Like it was possessed by an evil person's spirit kind of weird vibe?

Yeah.. or been in a room in something bad had happened and picked up some of that vibe.

At the end of the day, I just didn’t want to play it.

Back