The DGT Is Truly The Perfect Guitar - For Me.

OK, remember the bit I said about the clarity of tone on the DGT?

Listen to the first few notes Tim Pierce plays on the blue DGT starting at 03:03 early in the first video I posted above. That's it; and it's what I can't put into words.

It's that elusive tone quality that just grabs me by the ears and says, "This is what electric guitar is supposed to sound like!"

Granted, we all have different tastes and ideas, and I only speak for myself. I'm not proselytizing here - that kind of sound may not be your thing, and that's OK.

But for me? That big, solid, open sound drives an amp (tube of course!! ;)) the right way.

"Can you play like Tim Pierce, Laz?"

"No, I play like me, which is to say, not as well. But I like to play what I play with a tone I like."

"That's not good enough for me, sir! You don't deserve that guitar!"

"Yeah, So what else is new?"

Last edited:
OK, remember the bit I said about the clarity of tone on the DGT?

Listen to the first few notes Tim Pierce plays on the blue DGT starting at 03:03 early in the first video I posted above. That's it; and it's what I can't put into words.

It's that elusive tone quality that just grabs me by the ears and says, "This is what electric guitar is supposed to sound like!"

Granted, we all have different tastes and ideas, and I only speak for myself. I'm not proselytizing here - that kind of sound may not be your thing, and that's OK.

But for me? That big, solid, open sound drives an amp (tube of course!! ;)) the right way.

"Can you play like Tim Pierce, Laz?"

"No, I play like me, which is to say, not as well. But I like to play what I play with a tone I like."

"That's not good enough for me, sir! You don't deserve that guitar!"

"Yeah, So what else is new?"
Clarity but no loss of girth. Lot of times what is described as clarity sounds a bit thin to my (not so good) ears. Tim always sounds amazing!

Clarity but no loss of girth. Lot of times what is described as clarity sounds a bit thin to my (not so good) ears. Tim always sounds amazing!
Yep. That's basically what I meant when I said the guitar is clear, crisp and bright, but has a solid fundamental tone (vs. overtones). But clarity is often conflated with brightness, when the two are separate and distinct characteristics.

There are plenty of bright sounding guitars, but not all that many with top-to-bottom clarity throughout the frequency range. I like the balance of tones in the DGT, it just sounds right to me. What I'm hearing in Tim Pierce's video is clarity and brightness in those first bottom notes as well as in the higher notes, no thinness anywhere to be heard, on either pickup.

I love that!

I'm getting those kinds of tones. I just play them a lot slower and a lot worser. ;)

Last edited:
I feel like there’s a good reason the CU22 got 86’ed, and that’s because the DGT is “it” for a 22 fret tremolo equipped PRS.

Don’t need or want one though.
That is a tough one for me... I had the PTC put 57/08s in my CU22 back in 09. Granted my CU22 is a stop tail so it isn't a complete 1 for 1 comparison but I still give a little bit of an edge to the wide fat neck on my CU22 over the DGT neck. I can pretty easily switch between the two guitars but I tend to like the feel just a tiny bit more of the CU22. I do have a set of DGT pickups I could throw in the CU22 to make it more of an apples to apples comparison but the 57/08s are just right for that guitar.

That is a tough one for me... I had the PTC put 57/08s in my CU22 back in 09. Granted my CU22 is a stop tail so it isn't a complete 1 for 1 comparison but I still give a little bit of an edge to the wide fat neck on my CU22 over the DGT neck. I can pretty easily switch between the two guitars but I tend to like the feel just a tiny bit more of the CU22. I do have a set of DGT pickups I could throw in the CU22 to make it more of an apples to apples comparison but the 57/08s are just right for that guitar.
I still love the 57/08s, and I agree, they're perfect with the CU22.

To me, the DGT is a very specific combination of body thickness, trem, pickups and other accouterments in a perfect storm of genius ideas. It wouldn't suit me to try to turn my other guitars into a DGT. Plus, different choices are still a good thing to be able to make!

I still love the 57/08s, and I agree, they're perfect with the CU22.

To me, the DGT is a very specific combination of body thickness, trem, pickups and other accouterments in a perfect storm of genius ideas. It wouldn't suit me to try to turn my other guitars into a DGT. Plus, different choices are still a good thing to be able to make!
I am very fortunate that I have both and don't have to choose between which one to buy... I am very thankful for that.

They really are great guitars for many, but I dont like the shape of the neck and prefer an HSS setup, after owning one for a while.
I have a custom 22 soap bar from 2001 that has an amazing neck, I wish I knew what the neck profile was. I'd like to get a studio model with the same neck.

They really are great guitars for many, but I dont like the shape of the neck and prefer an HSS setup, after owning one for a while.
I have a custom 22 soap bar from 2001 that has an amazing neck, I wish I knew what the neck profile was. I'd like to get a studio model with the same neck.
I may have some good news for you...

Most Custom 22 guitars from that era had the wide fat neck profile. The PRS Studio has the Pattern neck profile, which is the new name for wide fat. I purchased a Studio last fall. It plays every bit as good as my CU22 from 2006. The feel is very similar. I am a big HSS fan. The Studio is the closest thing that PRS makes to an HSS. It doesn't sound like any of my other HSS guitars. It kind of has it's own thing going on. I like it because it is a little different than anything else in my collection. I stayed away from the narrowfield pickups because I can't put any other pickup in there due to the size of the route in the body. I bought this one with the thought that if I didn't like it I would have to move it on. I like having it.

MyCU22 Soapbars both came with the Regular neck. I think that was the standard for the model.

DGT is on my “need to try” list. I got my hands on the SE version recently, it was… okay, but I think that has more to do with the SE part than the DGT part. I’m recently seeing some cracks in the foundation of SE, which is something I don’t say lightly, but beside the point of this conversation…

I totally understand Disclaimer #2, but I have to say, the more I dig, the more I find that a humbucker guitar that works is a humbucker guitar that works, period. I can play classic rock, blues, metal, if it’s a winner. I’ve had a few go ‘rounds with high output pickups, and I just don’t get along with them - the need to slam the front of an amp via HO pickups is, for me, now negated by the ultra-wide selection of boost pedals and amps with insane amounts of gain, and comes at the cost of inherent tone, clarity, and richness of the amplified sound.
Same thought here. High output pickups solved a problem that's no longer an issue.

MyCU22 Soapbars both came with the Regular neck. I think that was the standard for the model.
What years were those? When I bought my CU22 in 06, the wide fat neck carve was the most common. There was an occasional wide thin here and there. The CU24 is the model that you would occasionally see the Regular neck carve on. Most had a wide thin in 06. My CU24 has the WT. I also bought that one in 06.

Back