Introduce yourself!

Hello folks.

Happy to have found this place. I joined after getting a new SE 24-08 Standard last week and I already love it. The one in the avatar.

The first proper big boy guitar was my '72 hardtail Strat (no trem) bought new back then and it's still with me. Would never sell it.

But I also have another PRS I bought from a guitar shop in London in the '90s. Chandler Guitars. Not the manufacturer. Name's a coincidence ;)I think it was customised by one of the guys who worked there. As PRSes go, it's very un-glam from the point of view of body finish. It's solid black with no grain on show. I just had to have it back then. However, I have never known what model it is. Someone once suggested it might have been something called an S4? but I've never known if they were correct.

I intend to post a pic in the 1st PRS forum and hope the collective might be able to give me clue as to what it is / or used to be ;).

It's just got one pot - volume, no tone. Also, three pickups. Humbucker (killer sound but unmarked) on the bridge and two singles (Strat style) for the middle and neck - strangely both are set up like those of a Strat (on the angle).

Great lookin’ guitar…until you get to the headstock…:p:D

Wanted to do the polite thing and come and introduce myself.
My name is Mike, live in New Jersey, and probably should have joined a while ago.
Just recently purchased a 2005 McCarty 20th anniversary in Platinum metallic. It started because way back in the early 2000's I owned a custom ordered McCarty in Platinum Metallic. Later around 2015 life had changed, and i was trying to upgrade my studio gear, so the PRS got sold.
Biggest gear regret I have had to date. Well while doing my "i'm bored" gear searches on reverb one night 2 weeks ago, I came across a 05 McCarty 20th ann. model. and it made me feel nostalgic. So I bought it. It's not exactly the same as the custom ordered one I had back in the day, but it is definitely close enough. the 20th appears to be all mahogany, where as my original one had a maple cap with natural binding.
If I am being honest I am not convinced that this 20th is a McCarty, I have a suspicion it may be a standard 22 or custom 22. But I am not totally sure.
I tracked down some McCarty pickups for it as it came loaded with Dragon II pickups. So i guess when i swap the pickups out I will take a look at the labels in the pickup cavities to see what's what.
But all that said, I am completely happy with my purchase, and playing this newer 20th does feel just like my old McCarty did back in the day!
So now I am trying to track down someone who does custom refinishes because I have a very specific finish i am looking to have done. Reached out to PRS and unfortunately they can't do the finish i am looking for, so my search continues. and hence what led me here to sign up!

Morning all- reintroducing myself. I joined the forum back in June of 2019 because I’d just purchased a Zach Myers…well, like so many guitars before it, it had a short time with me before it moved on to another owner.

Fast forward 4+ years and a pandemic and I’ve picked up a 2018 S2 Single Cut Standard 22 that I realized after purchasing belonged to a member here on the forum.

My other electric is a 2012 Gibson SG (2013 specs), which I may or may not hang onto depending on how the S2 pans out.

So my 3rd PRS adventure begins…
And so the madness begins anew! Just ordered a gently used 57/08 for the bridge- I’m hoping it gets me a little closer to the sound of the 57 Classic in the SG. :)

Welcome pwrmac7600!
We can help you out with an ID of your guitar if you post some pics. One of those pics will also make a great avatar.;):)
So here she is. What i believe is a 2005 20th Anniversary McCarty. Has phase II locking tuners, Dragon II pickups, and originally had a 5 way rotary that i swapped out to a 3 way. This just seems more like a custom 22 stoptail to me than a McCarty. But I could be wrong. as i said previously, I have ordered up some McCarty's that i am just waiting for delivery on, so when i pull the dragon II's I will take a look at the stickering again in the pickup cavities.

ABLVV85mrbUBQbNOUw_7Ns26KZ07zwkFz3_ZVTyD5FQb5Otpwv1I6y3HWcs6hMVQCQ3Zkp_0B8kE9ptllKSNNyDqKHO0nehfasEB1FxY8Rt3efq180fBnJrz2IDg_0Oeh01yQUlNp3TojM2wO5UPNEUKgR4=w288-h488-s-no-gm
ABLVV87UtrKWByhuLI8-LUyWsjq570NERn8n6oSsj-D--kiuuLafK-qEnQXmRiaXH6m5qXjETp6p8oGNBydFY4RJRotyo1YskkVzw0CjBNqg6Xkei9vbQSyADkao2dj_T-WOvHkSYQv1PyVPx-9e2IHAjH0=w523-h899-s-no-gm

Last edited:
So here she is. What i believe is a 2005 20th Anniversary McCarty. Has phase II locking tuners, Dragon II pickups, and originally had a 5 way rotary that i swapped out to a 3 way. This just seems more like a custom 22 stoptail to me than a McCarty. But I could be wrong. as i said previously, I have ordered up come McCarty's that i am just waiting for delivery on, so when i pull the dragon II's I will take a look at the stickering again in the pickup cavities.

ABLVV85mrbUBQbNOUw_7Ns26KZ07zwkFz3_ZVTyD5FQb5Otpwv1I6y3HWcs6hMVQCQ3Zkp_0B8kE9ptllKSNNyDqKHO0nehfasEB1FxY8Rt3efq180fBnJrz2IDg_0Oeh01yQUlNp3TojM2wO5UPNEUKgR4=w288-h488-s-no-gm
ABLVV87UtrKWByhuLI8-LUyWsjq570NERn8n6oSsj-D--kiuuLafK-qEnQXmRiaXH6m5qXjETp6p8oGNBydFY4RJRotyo1YskkVzw0CjBNqg6Xkei9vbQSyADkao2dj_T-WOvHkSYQv1PyVPx-9e2IHAjH0=w523-h899-s-no-gm
That’s a Standard 22. A VERY cool Standard 22.
McCarty‘s never had a rotary switch and would have McCarty pickups, not Dragon II’s.
Also, vintage style, non-locking tuners would have been installed on a McCarty.
I have a Custom22 cousin to your guitar, btw.:)

That’s a Standard 22. A VERY cool Standard 22.
McCarty‘s never had a rotary switch and would have McCarty pickups, not Dragon II’s.
Also, vintage style, non-locking tuners would have been installed on a McCarty.
I have a Custom22 cousin to your guitar, btw.:)
Yeah that is what i thought as well, my old McCarty that i custom ordered from prs back in i think 2002 or 2003 came stock with a 3 way, and McCarty buckers in it. I thought maybe because this was an anniversary edition maybe it had some special appointments. lol i dunno. I for it for a great price, so either way i am not disappointed. Curious what neck profile it has. Not sure if it's the same as the McCarty, i have read so many different things over the past few days it is hard to tell what it would have.

Last edited:
Well, My journey continues. In my journey to recreate my long lost PRS that i sold years ago, and in light of discovering that the recent PRS i purchased is a standard 22 rather than a McCarty. I decided to hit the reverb and see if i could find myself another. Don't misunderstand, I am also keeping the standard 22 as i do like it. But the current plan is to send the McCarty i just purchased over to the PTC to have a full custom refinish done.
So here is the new one that is on the way. a 2002 McCarty, which i got for a GREAT price!

Last edited:
Well, My journey continues. In my journey to recreate my long lost PRS that i sold years ago, and in light of discovering that the recent PRS i purchased is a standard 22 rather than a McCarty. I decided to hit the reverb and see if i could find myself another. Don't misunderstand, I am also keeping the standard 22 as i do like it. But the current plan is to send the McCarty i just purchased over to the PTC to have a full custom refinish done.
So here is the new one that is on the way. a 2002 McCarty, which i got for a GREAT price!
ABLVV875nFC8sX_1TDST2zwM1ex5Le9DZEQAXsQS610Bmn0G9bvvRsC6uGGa5vFJ4K0xaBdU3e0bhz1M4aivxM00D2KPrqDCWY4vsN699k0x-g6DFsPN9I5uXtWz8bhEZ6PsFwAJd8jqizyK67FF-ewQpzyWuD_77I1ZXGBlqiRfA4BKGQQtkjP_0jWgkmME3du0VOOQrD26lgccRp_FYCV2YjZKpTVmSF8HKEa2pBGvDLBl3WobCMHrh-BJbji7HKGFtf4fcb4knkGbKFNc6etppxc_Gt03ulb6KZ2Elxb_4YWru-sad6lNA2X_h8pICjsgT_D3ocW_cuwldTVzmYUHHeZ0eW4g9UgqVius8otxxKRCeIDLIIBrdbmmYKh4cOdlIL07gS1EQXfZKUcDGYzM0A2Cwu0fLZj9b3P5VBEwKXytpY0xmngtOhWXfTnLoZV5M5anR3Uuwam4PcmusfSX8JAbPXzXIHDja0iG7gzmJ7yaAuNhtwhRfXxy6Ile9fE6TvtUOVjicph_A__o4sZRzjooiBKDlVPOmWdx6GeiBHZfa32JEHb3PFiR_MBKlxRZhZVgZKPqd1Y1hiAQl2BufP8jF_JRzMeKNYX4LIu4z6LwqJJIXGPzgbVTL-TDPyNNmThDHRSxZRtJFWNqsNPvHNozRFKUzAkQY-RSEHKPoaeE2UjtMi5CGRETSm3Vk_JRD8TwQcSCTROAD1hgmQoOJlSYphJcatakn-cLHXf1l8gUTlO22dlPoRteX48kWkM97wwaNjtxEuXhL26u0rJ5iwFARFYZuuKuaA7MSunMT7Y1KFt_uK97sNliCFT7f_WgLLDpSQwvHWvgO9AolUs94XpPcq1oylxW-DuD-PXhjvHWq5XPBhZdMHDFWKzQ4LlFg1SUMPBeN5BzoSoijwJidA=w565-h754-s-no-gm
FYI, google drive does not work for images here on the forum. Some users may be able to see them, others not. Some will be able to see them and they will shortly thereafter turn to text strings. The reason is, google drive does not give you a image path that ends in an image extension (.jpg, .gif, .png) and the forum software and settings require images to have such an extension. If you want to read through the details on image posting here on the forum, you can do so at this thread.

Congrats on the new guitar!!

ABLVV875nFC8sX_1TDST2zwM1ex5Le9DZEQAXsQS610Bmn0G9bvvRsC6uGGa5vFJ4K0xaBdU3e0bhz1M4aivxM00D2KPrqDCWY4vsN699k0x-g6DFsPN9I5uXtWz8bhEZ6PsFwAJd8jqizyK67FF-ewQpzyWuD_77I1ZXGBlqiRfA4BKGQQtkjP_0jWgkmME3du0VOOQrD26lgccRp_FYCV2YjZKpTVmSF8HKEa2pBGvDLBl3WobCMHrh-BJbji7HKGFtf4fcb4knkGbKFNc6etppxc_Gt03ulb6KZ2Elxb_4YWru-sad6lNA2X_h8pICjsgT_D3ocW_cuwldTVzmYUHHeZ0eW4g9UgqVius8otxxKRCeIDLIIBrdbmmYKh4cOdlIL07gS1EQXfZKUcDGYzM0A2Cwu0fLZj9b3P5VBEwKXytpY0xmngtOhWXfTnLoZV5M5anR3Uuwam4PcmusfSX8JAbPXzXIHDja0iG7gzmJ7yaAuNhtwhRfXxy6Ile9fE6TvtUOVjicph_A__o4sZRzjooiBKDlVPOmWdx6GeiBHZfa32JEHb3PFiR_MBKlxRZhZVgZKPqd1Y1hiAQl2BufP8jF_JRzMeKNYX4LIu4z6LwqJJIXGPzgbVTL-TDPyNNmThDHRSxZRtJFWNqsNPvHNozRFKUzAkQY-RSEHKPoaeE2UjtMi5CGRETSm3Vk_JRD8TwQcSCTROAD1hgmQoOJlSYphJcatakn-cLHXf1l8gUTlO22dlPoRteX48kWkM97wwaNjtxEuXhL26u0rJ5iwFARFYZuuKuaA7MSunMT7Y1KFt_uK97sNliCFT7f_WgLLDpSQwvHWvgO9AolUs94XpPcq1oylxW-DuD-PXhjvHWq5XPBhZdMHDFWKzQ4LlFg1SUMPBeN5BzoSoijwJidA=w565-h754-s-no-gm

FYI, google drive does not work for images here on the forum. Some users may be able to see them, others not. Some will be able to see them and they will shortly thereafter turn to text strings. The reason is, google drive does not give you a image path that ends in an image extension (.jpg, .gif, .png) and the forum software and settings require images to have such an extension. If you want to read through the details on image posting here on the forum, you can do so at this thread.

Congrats on the new guitar!!
I could see your pics in post #5166 but not in post #5169

Hello! We're new to the forum but not new to PRS. Love the brand! Love the quality! Love the beauty!

A litte about us: We are KSM Music. We're a little shop in Logan, Utah that focuses on all things music. The store has been around for just over 27 years and we've carried PRS Guitars for just over 10 years. We love to nerd out on gear and are looking forward to chatting with everyone here! It's fun to meet people with a smililar passion for music that we have.
We plan to show off some of the cool guitars we have here for you all to see, and we'd love to hear your thoughts!

Hello! We're new to the forum but not new to PRS. Love the brand! Love the quality! Love the beauty!

A litte about us: We are KSM Music. We're a little shop in Logan, Utah that focuses on all things music. The store has been around for just over 27 years and we've carried PRS Guitars for just over 10 years. We love to nerd out on gear and are looking forward to chatting with everyone here! It's fun to meet people with a smililar passion for music that we have.
We plan to show off some of the cool guitars we have here for you all to see, and we'd love to hear your thoughts!
Awesome to have you on board! Looking forward to seeing what you have in the shop!! Always great to have dealers participate as they usually know more than the average Joe about the products ;~))

Back