How long did it take you to become proficient at playing the guitar?

It was awesome reading what the guitar vets here had to say. And enlightening. Perhaps I can give a different perspective. Im 34 years old, I've been playing just over a year and a half and I am nowhere near good enough to even consider myself an amateur "guitarist". I've been decently musically talented my whole life, winning a singing contest when I was in university but guitar for me has been one of the most humbling and difficult hobbies I have ever tried to pursue. I thought I would be really good at it because my motor control is quite good and I play a lot of mechanically challenging video games (left hand WASD or QWER) that I've ranked quite high in over the course of many years. I feel like guitar has been one of those things that while you're doing it, you always feel like you're stuck and not improving, then one day out of the blue you try playing a piece that you tried a long time ago and it comes surprisingly easier. I don't think I'll ever be good enough to be a true "guitarist" but my goal is to atleast be a good "musician".
I am not sure why this came to mind while reading your post, but there is one thing that I can say does lend to my guitar playing. I have worked in jobs for many years that I am on a keyboard typing. I learned to type properly many years ago. I am fairly proficient at it and type at a decent speed. I don't think about where the keys are. I just think about what I want to type and do it. This keeps the fingers on both of my hands moving in random motions every day.

I am not sure why this came to mind while reading your post, but there is one thing that I can say does lend to my guitar playing. I have worked in jobs for many years that I am on a keyboard typing. I learned to type properly many years ago. I am fairly proficient at it and type at a decent speed. I don't think about where the keys are. I just think about what I want to type and do it. This keeps the fingers on both of my hands moving in random motions every day.
Video games.

A dual or tri-joystick is something that not everyone can do. Yet, the current most capable guitar players in the world, are all reaIly good at fast paced fps games. You're onto something!!!

Proficient? For me mate, it's just varying levels of suck. Saturday nights are usually best, cuz I have so much booze and pizza everything sounds good.

Seriously, I'd say it took five years before I was comfortable recording anything I did, and probably 10 before I felt like I had enough confidence to play what I wanted...mostly. Guitar and music will always be a never ending puzzle that cannot be mastered, but that's the fun of it.

Je joue depuis environ 5 ans, je pratique au moins 1 heure par jours, j'ai commencé grâce à internet avec les tutos en ligne (pentatonique, mod etc.) les bases indispensables. Maintenant je joue toujours à l'oreille pour une connaissance de mon manche, sur des musiques comme BB King, Eric Clapton, Santana, etc… Sans apprendre leur morceau mais comme si j'étais en deuxième guitare, là je peux vous dire que je m'éclate bien sûr avec des erreurs par ci par là. Je progresse de jour en jour en piquant des effets de jeux à tous ces artistes (je regarde énormément de live en vidéo pour les placements et les effets main droite main gauche). Je ne joue que pour le plaisir, et j'ai encore beaucoup de choses à apprendre.
Félicitations, je pense que vous vous débrouillez très bien avec votre jeu ! Du moins, c’est ce qu’il semble. C’est bien d’avoir de nombreux outils d’apprentissage disponibles de nos jours. Tenez-vous-en à cela et bonne chance !

It was awesome reading what the guitar vets here had to say. And enlightening. Perhaps I can give a different perspective. Im 34 years old, I've been playing just over a year and a half and I am nowhere near good enough to even consider myself an amateur "guitarist". I've been decently musically talented my whole life, winning a singing contest when I was in university but guitar for me has been one of the most humbling and difficult hobbies I have ever tried to pursue. I thought I would be really good at it because my motor control is quite good and I play a lot of mechanically challenging video games (left hand WASD or QWER) that I've ranked quite high in over the course of many years. I feel like guitar has been one of those things that while you're doing it, you always feel like you're stuck and not improving, then one day out of the blue you try playing a piece that you tried a long time ago and it comes surprisingly easier. I don't think I'll ever be good enough to be a true "guitarist" but my goal is to atleast be a good "musician".
I could write a book on "How to suck at playing guitar"! They say that "golf" is the relentless and unattainable pursuit of perfection, but I have to say that for many (read: "me"), learning "proficiency" in guitar is much more challenging. If you have listened to the Rush 2112 album and heard Geddy's words "what can this strange device be" that speaks volumes. I bow to anyone that has enough natural talent to learn on their own and not have to seek out even amateur tutelage to get over even the smallest of hurdles. I know I had mountains to clamber over...still do. I can't shred to save my arse, but I keep working at it. Sometimes it still feels like I'm trying to climb a huge pile of loose gravel and it keeps slipping out from under me.
And I am definitely my own harshest critic, rightfully so. But I know that there are no shortcuts and the battle wages on. Such is life, but it is indeed a labor of love.

What is proficient? So many people either interpret words in a different way or simply do not know the true definition of some words (ignorant is a good example of such a word). So let me start with some definitions ;~))

++++++++++++++++++
proficient
1. very good at doing something especially through practice
2. able to do something to a higher than average standard
3. having or showing exceptional knowledge, experience, or skill in a field of endeavor
4. an archaic word for an expert
5. Basic performance is defined as “partial mastery”—below Proficient, and Advanced is defined as superior performance—beyond Proficient.
++++++++++++++++++

Now even with these definitions, it can still be unclear. I mean, what is "very good at doing something" defined as? It is a definition based on a subjective perspective. So definition 1 does very little in resolving what we are talking about. I can say that I have practiced a lot. In each of the past 3 years, I have played more hours than I have in the rest of my life combined ;~)) Same issue with definition 2's "higher than average standard". Definition 3 is getting somewhere, but "exceptional knowledge" is once again, fairly subjective. An expert, as alluded to in definition 4, once again, no set standard for what an expert is in the world of guitar. Number 5 is not so much a definition, but I think it is the closest thing I can point to when it comes to my level of proficiency.

Based on the above #5, I would have to qualify myself at a level of "partial mastery" and have yet to achieve proficient in guitar playing! And I am fine with that. I am currently at a zenith in my musical journey. At my "advanced" age (no where near the ancientness of the László, but no spring chicken), I could not be happier after having made the achievements I have in the past 3 years. A large part of that success and enthusiasm lies with the 3 PRS guitars I purchased in 2021. They immediately allowed me to play stuff that I always had trouble with, and have inspired me to play more. I truly miss the days when I don't have a chance to pick up one of my guitars, and that feeling never existed prior to owning my PRSi!

I have always and will always be most interested in my own musical compositions. I have written over 2,000 songs in my life and released only about 70, so I still have a lot of work to do ;~)) I wrote about 50 songs last year, 20 of them in September (sometimes it just happens). And when I do play other peoples music, I never want to sound like them, look like them nor do I feel a need to play the same equipment they do. I want to make those songs my own, and I do just that best I can tell (if you want examples of cover songs I like to play, there is a spattering of them here). The reason this fits in with the proficiency discussion is, I am now at a level where I can take a new song I have come up with in my head, and get a working guitar part sussed out in a few minutes. I then am able to refine it and turn it into a song in a very short time. This is a huge contrast to the rest of my life when the most difficult part for me was interpreting what was in my head and translating it through instruments. Things have changed for the better! This also has allowed me to pick up very easily on songs that I have listened to and sung along with for decades of my life, and be able to play an acceptable version of it. In many cases, on the first time through if the chords/melodies are easy enough. So this is so exciting for me because even though my music comes first in my world, being able to sing and play the songs I have known and loved for decades is a BLAST for me and I so wish I had grabbed this bull by the horns much sooner. But I will not live in the past and will simply enjoy this newfound wealth of joy and smile smile smile with it. I have never played a song by the Who. Last night I downloaded the tabs of a dozen or so of their songs that I can easily play and already know the lyrics to. Going to try out some of them for the first time today ;~))

So based on that last paragraph, I feel I have gained some sort of proficiency, but certainly not an expert level or "beyond standard" type of proficiency in guitar playing, yet a type of proficiency in the sense that I am now able, through practice and gathered knowledge, to do things I have never been able to do before and to some extent, do what a small percentage of people will likely never be able to do (not referring to anyone here, just humanity in general, some people have no beat and without it, music is a dead end). Add to this the idea that I am playing guitar, singing, playing cajon with one foot and controlling all guit/vox effects with the other foot (and sometimes other percussion with that second foot), and I would say I do have some sort of musical proficiency at this point. How long did it take? My lifetime, but mostly the last 3 years of dedication to my religion which is music. Unfortunately, I was not a faithful practitioner for most of my life, but water under the bridge as it were and I am now swimming in a lovely ocean based on my perspective and musical journey ;~))

I put off responding to this thread I think because it opens up some sad truths for me
I started so late in life I may never become proficient

but perhaps its not the ability so much as it is the struggle to become proficient

There are so many benefits
its been good for the arthritis in my hands
it gives me a goal to work towards
I've developed a bond with another player that encourages the both of us to be better
I get out of the house for a weekly lesson
I have learned to love guitars

The only negative would be the drain on my pocketbook 🤣

Back