My band rejected my request to move from acoustic to electric guitar

He was my all time favorite

I loved Sam. That Rodney Dangerfield/Young Comedians performance was so great - I must have watched it 100x after taping at a friend's apartment. I almost got another friend in trouble at college that fall. We were the only two on the elevator, in the back corners, and a young Asian woman got on. He looked at me, and I mouthed the scream face without making a sound, then turned forward straight-faced. He had to fight to keep from laughing for about eight floors, and she looked at him like he was an idiot. Got to see Sam twice, I think - what shows.

The Kinnison Scream. Absolutely nothing like it.

giphy.gif

Most of the time I didn’t get a rehearsal, just a playbook. If you don’t know enough to get transitions, you don’t get the next job. One month I played with five different bands, only one of which I ever rehearsed with.
This is where my lack of understanding creates a lack of understanding…

I can understand the need to sight read in order to play music you haven’t seen before. I had regular sight reading exercises when I played piano. I don’t understand the need to know theory to do it.

It could just be me applying what works for me. The last time I did a full gig with the bluegrass boys, they sprang 3 songs on me that I’d never heard before. I had to play solos on all three. I had 2 verses and two choruses to figure out what to play when my solo came.

This is where my lack of understanding creates a lack of understanding…

I can understand the need to sight read in order to play music you haven’t seen before. I had regular sight reading exercises when I played piano. I don’t understand the need to know theory to do it.

It could just be me applying what works for me. The last time I did a full gig with the bluegrass boys, they sprang 3 songs on me that I’d never heard before. I had to play solos on all three. I had 2 verses and two choruses to figure out what to play when my solo came.
This is the highest of times, for me. To do play something new that I've never heard before and then solo improv is where I have the most fun.

My thought is the theory helps the sight reading. Not only do you know the next note, you have sense of why the next note.

I can't sight read, only theorize and put the best effort forward.

Don't wanna step on any toes here, but I've had similar conversations with a good friend of mine. My background is rock/jamband, his is playing at various worship services.

I really, really don't like the way that those services try to sound like "XYZ," instead of playing to their musicians' talents. It creates a mundane, vanilla copy of things (in my opinion). I'm not saying the bass needs a fuzz-out solo, I just wish they mixed & created around talents, not replicating a pop music recording.

:rolleyes: Don't wanna step on any toes here, but I've had similar conversations with a good friend of mine. My background is rock/jamband, his is playing at various worship services.

I really, really don't like the way that those services try to sound like "XYZ," instead of playing to their musicians' talents. It creates a mundane, vanilla copy of things (in my opinion). I'm not saying the bass needs a fuzz-out solo, I just wish they mixed & created around talents, not replicating a pop music recording.
I couldn’t agree more….In that “worship context”, it turns musicians into secretaries.
I had a similar situation with a Steve Miller tribute band. The “leader” wanted everything note for note…. So boring and milktoast. And how are ya gonna do that with 6 overdubbed guitars on the record with 2 guitarists, (one of questionable talent?)? I lasted 2 weeks..:rolleyes:

I was fortunate in my time playing P&W. The group I was in always wanted me to make the songs my own. I felt like I needed to lay back and hold things together to not get in the way of someone's worship time. They would tell me to let it rip because that is what the worshipers wanted to hear. I had a few folks in the congregation that would frequently tell me they loved hearing me spice the songs up and that they looked forward to it every Sunday. I still tried to not over play in the songs but found tasteful places to put things in.

I play in a church band so the talent level requirement isn't huge. It's still a mega-church so we have Berklee majors and music majors running the band. Besides the outgoing electric guitarist (who is phenomenal and plays everything by ear), I might be the only other non-music major. I majored in finance so I may not be as good as them. At any rate, I do my part as an acoustic guitarist but asked if I can switch to electric when the current guitarist leaves since the sound engineer usually mutes or lowers my volume. His main reasoning is that he wants to sound like Elevation or Bethel and he claims those bands do not use acoustic, which is wrong. At any rate, they turn me down and will just leave the position vacant even though we have a hard time attracting talent. They have never seen me play electric either.

Been playing acoustic guitar for about 20 years now. Mostly rythymic and fingerstyle. I have a tele, prs cu24, prs mccarty 594 hb ii, and a good pedal board. Been taking lessons for a year to transition to electric.

What would you do? Quit this band and join a band that would allow me to play?
I play for a mega church currently and have played for many small and large scale churches. I'm confused who you asked - the worship pastor/s, or the soundman?

My advice would be to take your electric in and your pedalboard and small amp or what have you on a day during the week when you know the worship leader will be there, ask them if you can plug in for 5 min and show them what you got. Sometimes you gotta grab the church by its balls. If you are a volunteer, remember that you have a bit more freedom and flexibility than someone on staff and you can be a bit braver with things because of it.

Can't tell you how many times I walked into a church for the first time ever, with a guitar strapped to my back, I got looked at weird when I went in and got asked to play that following Sunday on the way out.

When I was younger I used to be fearful of stepping on toes and things of that nature, especially because it's church but not anymore. Recent years have taught me alot about the church and myself.

A mega church involves a lot of politics and money. From what you've said, it sounds like they were all working towards a few of things:

Limiting your involvement, because they don't believe your skills are up to the task. They need to provide a high-quality product to a large congregation. That congregation has certain perceived expectations which have to be met.

By muting you, they limit the "damage" you can do to the product they're providing. They also allow you to participate in a harmless way. They're thinking they can satisfy your need to be involved and their need to have high-quality music, without hurting your feelings.

They're giving you some pretty strong hints that they don't want you involved, but you're not taking them. Making you audition four hours away, with one song? Muting you? None of that says, "we want more from you!" It says, "please go away."

You shouldn't be angry with the sound guy. It's very likely he's doing what he was told to do.
Not necessarily.

Sound can be hard to deal with depending on the person and their experience with that particular set of equipment, and even if it's a mega church, they might not have a very good soundman. There's lots of variables here and we're not there so we can't exactly judge or draw conclusions just yet.

What we do know is that there is a communication issue. What the soundman most likely meant when he said "There's no acoustic guitar" is that he acknowledges that modern praise and worship is very electric guitar driven.

And it's not exactly their fault that they don't know the OP can play electric. It sounds like OP has never shared with them his passion and ambition to play the electric and they likely don't know the extent of his desire to do so.

As for the politics and money bit, that is with every church in America. The chuech in general may be corrupted but nobody is perfect and you're not going to ever find a church in band that is "perfect for you". And so, running from problems from this church and going to another one isn't going to solve any issues, it will only stunt your ability to communicate with others and grow as a praise and worship musician.

OP just needs to talk with them more, literally bug them until they give him a chance. Again, it's far more likely that they don't know how much he wants to switch to electric than them not wanting him to switch....Confidence can be a big issue here, on both ends. And in Mega-Churches, it's not that you have things that aren't in small churches, like jealousy, control, etc. It's just that you have more people so you face more of that. It's literally exaggerated effect. If OP felt the need to vent about it here, chances are he lacks the confidence he needs to carry himself to communicate effectively.

Last edited:
Grab the church by its balls. One Sunday, go in with your electric, tell them your acoustic broke and the spirit led you to play electric.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what church is this?

UPDATE: Op here.

So I showed up to practice with my electric and my pedalboard a month or two ago. I asked for permission beforehand. I got tired of my acoustic guitar being muted out or being in the mix at a low volume. Once they heard me play electric, they put me into their rotation. There are two worship services I can play at and I sometimes play electric at both services. There is a lead guitarist but he will soon be leaving so I may fill that spot. I have been very frustrated at times but just showing up and showing them has changed things.

Last edited:
Good for you!

I have no idea how your worship team works, because that would not work at my church. However we are short staffed for guitar players somehow. But I am happy you got a chance.

Hopefully you regain joy in your ministry and service, because both are what it is what it is about. You serve with your capabilities and bitterness has no place there.

So I showed up to practice with my electric and my pedalboard a month or two ago. I asked for permission beforehand. I got tired of my acoustic guitar being muted out or being in the mix at a low volume. Once they heard me play electric, they put me into their rotation. There are two worship services I can play at and I somestimes play electric at both services. There is a lead guitarist but he will soon be leaving so I may fill that spot. I have been very frustrated at times but just showing up and showing them has changed things.
Awesome!!!!

I hate to sound like that at times but sometimes you just have to "fight hard" for what you want in the church. It can be a dog eat dog world, I get it. To give you an idea, I come from Detroit area so there's drama and entitlement as well as competition from every corner. I've been asked not to play for not having a tube amp (a worship leader didn't like my solid state amp).... things like that.

At first I thought the issue was them but I quickly learned that I just needed to fight and be more vocal for my place. Nobody told me but they wanted me to grow in that as well, nobody will tell you these things. I do believe people want the best for us, I think they sometimes go about it in the wrong way. Being a volunteer has its perks though, they can underestimate you and your value but it's ultimately up to you to prove to them you know what you know. Please don't ever let anyone abuse your gifts, remember you are worth more.

I'm glad it's working out, keep playing and hold tight. God will open more doors soon!

So I showed up to practice with my electric and my pedalboard a month or two ago. I asked for permission beforehand. I got tired of my acoustic guitar being muted out or being in the mix at a low volume. Once they heard me play electric, they put me into their rotation. There are two worship services I can play at and I somestimes play electric at both services. There is a lead guitarist but he will soon be leaving so I may fill that spot. I have been very frustrated at times but just showing up and showing them has changed things.
Wondered where you went! Glad to hear this was the resolution!

Awesome!!!!

I hate to sound like that at times but sometimes you just have to "fight hard" for what you want in the church. It can be a dog eat dog world, I get it. To give you an idea, I come from Detroit area so there's drama and entitlement as well as competition from every corner. I've been asked not to play for not having a tube amp (a worship leader didn't like my solid state amp).... things like that.

At first I thought the issue was them but I quickly learned that I just needed to fight and be more vocal for my place. Nobody told me but they wanted me to grow in that as well, nobody will tell you these things. I do believe people want the best for us, I think they sometimes go about it in the wrong way. Being a volunteer has its perks though, they can underestimate you and your value but it's ultimately up to you to prove to them you know what you know. Please don't ever let anyone abuse your gifts, remember you are worth more.

I'm glad it's working out, keep playing and hold tight. God will open more doors soon!
Thanks for the awesome reponse. I've definitely grown and is no longer angry or frustrated. I think I needed some time to get adjusted and kind of read the room. But the band definitely viewed me as a 2nd class citizen, initially, cus I didn't have the background that they wanted and may not have been skilled enough. I've fixed the latter with practice and lessons. But working my butt off has paid off.
For the record, I am saving the quote "Grab the church by it's balls." 63 years on this sphereoid and I sure haven't heard that one before.
Grab it! XD

Stay Faithful With Your Part And God Will Always Handle The Details And Do His Part In Addition To Redeeming The Time. Provide The Seed And God Will Provide The Increase. This Is A Great Lesson And Story All In One. Be Blessed!

So I showed up to practice with my electric and my pedalboard a month or two ago. I asked for permission beforehand. I got tired of my acoustic guitar being muted out or being in the mix at a low volume. Once they heard me play electric, they put me into their rotation. There are two worship services I can play at and I sometimes play electric at both services. There is a lead guitarist but he will soon be leaving so I may fill that spot. I have been very frustrated at times but just showing up and showing them has changed things.
That's awesome!

Back