Electric Guitar Armrests?

Jimmy

Curious if anybody here has ever attached an armrest to their violin carve electric guitars for better forearm comfort? I've used a mandolin armrest on a past guitar I had that was cut like a Les Paul, and it seemed to work pretty well. Jack White had a luthier cut one for his Tele to make it more comfortable. I also use the Abel Armrest for my acoustic, and it works great. Supposedly they make a tighter one for electrics as well. Now, would I feel comfortable letting cork permanently touch my nitro finishes? I'm not sure.

I'm one of those players that doesn't like to float their arms or wear long sleaves. It kind of sucks having to limit myself with only the bevel cuts (S2s, SE Miras, SE Santanas) and classic cuts (Fiore, Silver Sky, NF53, etc.). You miss out on all of the core awesomeness.

Maybe if PTC ever gets back to normal you have them sand that down. Isn’t this the @markie mod? There are some great core Mira, Starla’s out there if willing to go used. Maybe others I’m forgetting…
I get it though, if you want that classic PRS body shape, it’s tough. It used to bother me some, but I’ve gotten used to it.

Maybe if PTC ever gets back to normal you have them sand that down. Isn’t this the @markie mod? There are some great core Mira, Starla’s out there if willing to go used. Maybe others I’m forgetting…
I get it though, if you want that classic PRS body shape, it’s tough. It used to bother me some, but I’ve gotten used to it.
I doubt that PRS PTC would do that work. That would alter the lines of the guitar and they don't do that. I know of someone that had a PRS that had been stripped and refinished. It was a model that had an iconic finish on it and this person wanted PRS to put it back to original. The issue was that the person that did the refinished slightly changed the lines of the guitar when they did the refinish and PRS refused to refinish it due to that.

As to my knowledge the Markie mod didn't alter any of the lines of the body. He moved the placement of the volume knob as part of that mod. I am not sure if that is the whole mod or one part of it.

I doubt that PRS PTC would do that work. That would alter the lines of the guitar and they don't do that. I know of someone that had a PRS that had been stripped and refinished. It was a model that had an iconic finish on it and this person wanted PRS to put it back to original. The issue was that the person that did the refinished slightly changed the lines of the guitar when they did the refinish and PRS refused to refinish it due to that.

As to my knowledge the Markie mod didn't alter any of the lines of the body. He moved the placement of the volume knob as part of that mod. I am not sure if that is the whole mod or one part of it.
Could’ve been PS builds but someone has had that top edge made less sharp and more comfortable to rest the arm on. They may never do that work again on anything given their lessening of doing anything out of the norm. Which is disappointing. But every business needs to profit and be efficient in whatever ways they see fit.

I've never been bothered by the carve, but I like the violin carve look of the Core models anyway, so I'd probably learn to live with it if I was bothered by it.

I guess I'm that guy who would accept a little pain for good looks - which...hmmm... may be why I got married... ;)

I've never been bothered by the carve, but I like the violin carve look of the Core models anyway, so I'd probably learn to live with it if I was bothered by it.

I guess I'm that guy who would accept a little pain for good looks - which...hmmm... may be why I got married... ;)
I am more in this camp. I vaguely remember having a little issue with it on my first PRS but I loved (and still love) that guitar so much it was worth getting use to it. I have a good number of PRS core models now and it doesn't affect me at all. I have quite a few carve top guitars and those are mostly what I play. It is to the point that when I grab a Strat or a Tele, the flat front takes a minute to get used to playing and that is what I started on years ago.

I am more in this camp. I vaguely remember having a little issue with it on my first PRS but I loved (and still love) that guitar so much it was worth getting use to it. I have a good number of PRS core models now and it doesn't affect me at all. I have quite a few carve top guitars and those are mostly what I play. It is to the point that when I grab a Strat or a Tele, the flat front takes a minute to get used to playing and that is what I started on years ago.
It seems I fall into the vanity group as well. My S2 is way more comfortable. Lighter, smoother, blacker. Ok, the last one doesn’t mater, except blacker rhythms with lacquer, and it is nitro, but I digress…. The S2 is more comfortable and much lighter than my core Santana III, but I play the Santana more, ‘cause core Santana! I’m so shallow.

Thanks all. I actually jumped up to the S2 (Custom 24) and CE (Fiore) lines because I found the forearm cuts so much more comfortable. I think it's just the way I like to hug my guitars. Being able to lightly clamp my forearm to the bevel or forearm contour just feels right to me over letting my arm float a bit more. I think a wristband or Abel Armrest would be my solution if I went after a Modern Eagle V in the future.

Back