Me, ruminating and flip-flopping again...debating going strictly acoustic

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
I haven't played any of my electrics for more than 3 minutes since last May. Am debating selling the last one, Daisy, and the Tie Dye Tower, along with my pedals, to fund more acoustic stuff. I really like playing in my acoustic trio, and it's so much easier to manage than a full band. I never play electric at home for fun, only when I'm in a band. Really just speculating at the moment, but it's a consideration...

I haven't played any of my electrics for more than 3 minutes since last May. Am debating selling the last one, Daisy, and the Tie Dye Tower, along with my pedals, to fund more acoustic stuff. I really like playing in my acoustic trio, and it's so much easier to manage than a full band. I never play electric at home for fun, only when I'm in a band. Really just speculating at the moment, but it's a consideration...
I hear you.

I play a lot more acoustic guitar than I do electric.

I go in cycles where I'll play mostly acoustic for a couple of weeks then play more electric again.

Kind of depends on what new toy I've acquired.

But I love the beauty of acoustic music. The songs.

Just came up with a slide version of Nancy Griffith's Gulf Coast Highway this morning.

Last edited:
I haven't played any of my electrics for more than 3 minutes since last May. Am debating selling the last one, Daisy, and the Tie Dye Tower, along with my pedals, to fund more acoustic stuff.
But....
:eek::eek::eek:
But...
:eek::eek::eek:
But....
o_Oo_Oo_O
But... your title! Your forum status! Your core identity... all are at stake here! The forum NEEDS you! The forum NEEDS a Velamaster. I don't think we can even entertain the thought of you selling the last Vela without both nomination of, and forum approval of, a suitable replacement. And let's face it. THERE AIN'T NONE!

Where's the tylenol?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've got a full toolbox, you can build whatever inspires you in the moment. If you have a screwdriver, a paper clip and a roll of duct tape, you can build...something. If you're MacGyver, it will probably be capable of leveling a major city but if you're like me, you'll be limited by the tools you have so give me the full toolbox.

Eh, that sounded better in my head. My point is, don't start selling off gear just because you don't see yourself using it today only to find out tomorrow that you could have hit on the next great thing...if only you had the tools. My stable of instruments grows and shrinks but always has one good electric, one good acoustic, one good bass, one good guitar amp, one good bass amp.

As much as I like my acoustics, one of which is my fanciest guitar, having electrics lets me play through apps/modelers at very low volumes or through headphones (carefully) without waking nor disturbing anyone. Very handy for late-night/early-morning ruminations when life's throwing all kinds of stuff at you and making a little noise (if only to yourself) helps.

I understand the thinking, but I wouldn't get rid of my last electric. Maybe some pedals, but not the guitar and amp.
The world is fluid, the music world more so. It would be a shame to have to find and buy again when an interesting opportunity shows up.

And, perhaps more important at my age, there is likely to come a time when the greater ease of playing an electric matters.

I understand the thinking, but I wouldn't get rid of my last electric. Maybe some pedals, but not the guitar and amp.
The world is fluid, the music world more so. It would be a shame to have to find and buy again when an interesting opportunity shows up.

And, perhaps more important at my age, there is likely to come a time when the greater ease of playing an electric matters.
That’s wisdom there, young fellow. Keep the amp and guitar.

My first question would be, what acoustic gear are you missing/needing at the moment? I know you just acquired a new acoustic guitar and have talked about getting a new acoustic amp. Having an electric available to me is essential, simply for the ease of playing factor when compared to my acoustics. As I age, my hands get weaker and can take less, so the electric gives me the option to continue playing when playing the acoustic becomes a bit much for me. I recently bought a cheap Gretsch jazz box type guitar that gives me good acoustic tones and acceptable plugged in tones, so maybe that halfway point could fill your needs. Obviously, it is all up to you, but if you can hang on to Daisy (and possibly the Tie Dyed Tower), I think you will thank yourself down the road!

My advice, if you don't really have to have the money, keep them. I sold off stuff when my interested fell off many years ago. One day I got back into it and went in with both feet. I had to rebuy all of the stuff I sold off. It sucks when you are trying to replace a guitar you once had that you really liked.

I even managed to do it again years later. I was playing a lot in country bands and spent most of my time on two teles I owned. One was an AM Std and the other was an AM Dlx. I was not playing those after I moved to FL and was playing some of my other guitars so they set. I decided to sell them. I ended up replacing both of them a few years ago and spent a lot more money on the ones I have now. I had bonds with the ones I had and a history of many gigs played that is no longer with me.

An luck would have it, I am currently considering another downsizing. I sure hope I don't repeat the past on this one. I feel like this one will be the last and I will stay with quite a few less instruments.

The only problem money solves is lack of money. But there are other considerations!

If it's a fantastic, once-in-a-lifetime instrument, keep it. If it's an expendable, fungible, easily replaced commodity, sell it and never look back.

My only regret relating to guitar I've sold is that some were truly keepers. I've had a bunch I should never have sold. But I've sold some that, while really nice guitars, weren't my thing, and I don't regret selling them.

I'd expect you're going to get hammered on the amp and cabs if you can't return them to the stock grille cloths.

Don't know if you can relate to that, but, during the first lockdown that was my idea.

I composed two singles, posted online, kept playing the acoustic a lot. But I had a nice chat with a guy in a music shop, saying that I was thinking to sell all the electric stuff and keeping just the acoustic. He said ' It's hard to have fun with the electric on your own ' and that made me think.

Maybe it's just the issues to play with people in a ' full band ' stage? It's really hard to organize everything, as you said. But could it be that?

Back