How Long You Been Playing?

Woke up from a dream that told me I needed to buy a guitar in winter 89. Went to Sears and ordered an Oscar Schmidt by Washurn super strat. Found a random guy to take lesson from at Mar Cole music in Carol Stream IL. Got some real guitars and about 6 months into lessons found an open stage and met some great people. First stage song ever was Proud Mary, and someone bought me a beer. I was hooked!

Moved to a open stage in DeKalb IL (Otto's) and in three months was asked to join a band. That was 1990. Quit lessons. Been playing in bands, 2 with all original music, ever since.

The thing is this guitar teacher was an advanced Jazz Rock cat. He didn't teach me songs he taught me the guitar and how to play anything. I'm still learning what he showed me to this day, from one year of lessons.

To OP, about 35 years.
IMHO, that is exactly how a teacher should teach.

I started piano at 4, and got around to guitar in my teens - 1967, a lifetime ago. But I''m still better at keys than guitar, and I can explain why:

The piano keyboard is a much more intelligently conceived and arranged device than a guitar fretboard. It's well laid out, everything makes sense, the note placement is consistent from octave to octave, and both hands operate in much the same way. Also, it isn't physically painful to play.

Have you ever seen a 'piano face' like you do 'guitar faces'? Of course not. Piano players don't have to contort their bodies and wrists to operate the instrument. Piano players do not need calluses to play.

The guitar is a device created to torture the hands and warp the brain, a device for masochists and lunatics.

That's probably why I'm obsessed with it. 🤣

The guitar has one advantage: it's easier to carry a guitar to a jam than a piano.
You can recognize the note-names just by looking at the layout. That is huge imo.

I have a question if I may. After I realized exactly what EVH was doing and found out he was a pianist when he was young I felt he might be looking at each string in a linear manner like a keyboard instead of all strings in "boxes". Do you look at it that way?

You can recognize the note-names just by looking at the layout. That is huge imo.

I have a question if I may. After I realized exactly what EVH was doing and found out he was a pianist when he was young I felt he might be looking at each string in a linear manner like a keyboard instead of all strings in "boxes". Do you look at it that way?
To a degree, yes. But I never did boxes, so maybe I'm remiss in that way.

At one point years ago I decided I should be able to name every note on every fret for every string, quickly. I could do it up to the 12th fret.

I can't do that any more, too much time has passed since I tortured myself into learning it, and I'd have a hard time remembering without stopping to think.

Now I 'feel' the relationships among notes via muscle memory and by ear. This has a bad limitation, because if I don't already have a feel for something, I might not try something different. It's easy to get into ruts that way.

I'm far from a shining example of what to do with a guitar! ;)

The household I was born in was musically, both sang, my father had a piano, my mother played nylon string (strumming), flute, trombone.
My elder brother started to take piano lessons at the age of six. Now he's 50. By the way, a few weeks ago he, as a Lutheranian pastor, buried our uncle. Our uncle lived in the community, where we were born. But we moved away for business reasons of our father. Anyway. It was fate, that the organ player in the chappel was our former neighbour and the first piano teacher of my bro. Additionally she supported my parents from time to time as a nanny.
After settling on new grounds my parents drew slight pressure on me to start aswell with an instrument.
I was evaluated being smart but lazy. Hence I decided: Hey, I'll learn to play the piano, too. I was seven years old at this decisive moment in 1984 (Olympic Summer Games in LA with the eagle mascot). I took this burden with prussian modesty, but I wasn't neither keen on learning nor getting one with the instrument. In parallel since being schooled onto a grammar school with strict humanistic approach, I was member of the school choir (After primary school, I visited this particualar school since 1987 until my University access degree. 1225 is the first year, the school was mentioned.).
In April 1992 we visited the cousin of my father. We was playing accordion in a local Bavarian folk music trio. And the drummer was owner of a music shop. I can't remember the reason, but we drove to the shop. In the end I left with my first electric, an amp, cable, strap, bag, song book. My parents bought it without expecting someting in return.

I'd like to emphasize @László's words regarding the piano. True. And turning adult I regret not being a good and curious piano student back in the days. In popular music I very much like Billy Joel and Tori Amos, I wouldn't describe myself as an Elton John fan, but he's aswell an outstanding talented musician. But I own a collection of classic piano tunes, and of violinists, too. This is part of the retarded influence of my school having such musicians like composer Telemann or Grammy awarded singer Thomas Quasthoff in the lists of former students.

On the other hand side I'm familiar with the guitar in that manner, that I could transfer my inner feelings into music. To count the years, 32 year the guitar is my partner.

Last edited:
Back