The low threshold to entry for guitar

Ha, this thread linked me to one from a year ago that I had completely missed. The more I read these theory discussions, the more I wonder how I can even play a guitar without knowing any of this stuff.

I was reading this last night and thinking “well, when we get this forum jam tracks thing going, they’ll see just how much of a hack I am.” 😔

Ha, this thread linked me to one from a year ago that I had completely missed. The more I read these theory discussions, the more I wonder how I can even play a guitar without knowing any of this stuff.

I was reading this last night and thinking “well, when we get this forum jam tracks thing going, they’ll see just how much of a hack I am.” 😔

If I ever do one, I'll probably make you feel a lot better about it. 🤣

It's totally normal to feel overwhelmed by music theory discussions, especially when you're just starting out. But remember, playing guitar is about more than just theory—it's about feeling the music and expressing yourself. Don't worry too much about being a "hack"; everyone starts somewhere, and the journey is part of the fun. If you ever want to dive deeper into guitar knowledge, there are plenty of resources available, like the guides at https://guitarsrepublic.com/guide/.

Last edited:
It's totally normal to feel overwhelmed by music theory discussions, especially when you're just starting out. But remember, playing guitar is about more than just theory—it's about feeling the music and expressing yourself.
Do you think theory is necessary to properly express yourself?

Absolutely not. There have been many famous musicians that had great songs that knew very little or no theory. SRV is one of them. The took a music theory class in high school but flunked it.
I always wonder what "theory guys" think of various styles of playing. I wonder if some people who know theory, let it influence what they do and don't like. I wonder if knowledge can do either A) get in the way of creativity in some ways, just as it may allow it in others, and B) make someone look at the music of others differently.

Funny example, but my mom and dad didn't listen to rock music and more than once my dad commented on how "simple" the structure was of a certain rock song, etc. But, mom thought Keith Emerson was brilliant, and dad loved it when I played Eruption. But, dad didn't care for it much when I was playing Hendrix.

I always wonder what "theory guys" think of various styles of playing. I wonder if some people who know theory, let it influence what they do and don't like. I wonder if knowledge can do either A) get in the way of creativity in some ways, just as it may allow it in others, and B) make someone look at the music of others differently.
I know enough theory to get me deep into a conversation with someone that can and probably will go way over my head and make me have to think really hard to see if I can keep up with what they are saying. Learning how to apply it was a great thing for my playing, especially being able to improvise. I feel like it made me a better player all around and it gave me a lot of confidence to be able to jump in with people I have never played with and make music.

For me, I don't think knowing theory had influenced what I don't like but I think it has influenced what I do like. I like some things that I may not have liked before I learned to apply the theory I know. I have more of an ear for interesting applications of notes than I used to. That intrigues me and makes me like things I may not have really given a second listen to in my youth. This could be a maturation thing too...

Again for me, I wouldn't say it gets in my way of creativity. I think it helps. It gives me a good starting point. I know what chords and scales are in a key and that gives a good look at the tools available to me to start putting something together. It also allows me to force myself to use a key I may not play in much to see what I can come up with.

From what I said above, it does make me look at music differently but I would say in a good way.

It is interesting that this topic came up again. I think I finally, finally, made a connection on something I was having issues trying to figure out how to apply for a very long time. I plan on doing some playing around with it this weekend. The good news is that means I will be working with my recording gear and have a guitar in my hands. I am really hoping this one piece of information I found is what I was missing. I have felt like I have been one step away from figuring this out for years. I have even thought about finding someone to take lessons from just for this one topic so I can really understand it. I will know more after I get time with it. These types of things get exciting because it adds another tool to the box.

The theory I know doesn’t change what I play when I am expressing myself. I use it when I want to bridge to something else and I’m not sure what the best path is.

It definitely does not get in the way of my creativity. It has zero impact on how I listen.

There have been many famous musicians that had great songs that knew very little or no theory. SRV is one of them. The took a music theory class in high school but flunked it.
If you have world class talent you probably don't need theory. Another example is EVH who took piano lessons for years without being able to read music, he memorized the pieces his teacher was playing pretty much in real time.

For us mortals, like reading music, theory is a very helpful tool in understanding, appreciation and expression. Personally it doesn't change my taste.

My take is this. Theory is just that, a theory. It is not fact. It is a way of taking the Western music's division of an octave into 12 notes, and trying to write rules about what sounds good to most people when you navigate those 12 notes. Play Indian music and you will have a whole lotta new theory to learn because of their different division(s) of the octave into more than 12 notes. Other cultures have done the same. Heck, even in Western music, some composers have decided to divide the octave their own way, including Ivan Wyschnegradsky who created 24 notes between one note and the octave above, and Harry Partch who tore up the rule book and composed 43 different notes within the octave. My point is, theory is there to give us a set of guardrails in the music we create so we don't go over the cliff, best I can tell. But some want to go over the cliff and more power to them IMO ;~)) Does not mean I will listen to it, but nothing wrong with it as far as I am concerned. And some want to stretch beyond the popular genre and create more complex material, more power to 'em!

Now that said, the "what sounds good to most people" is also of course subjective (and it is not up to you, it is up to the record companies and streaming services to decide what to push on people). If I play something that I like, and it does not fit in with some theory, IDGAF. But if you want to attract the masses, you have to generally play within the confines and with the scale/notes provided to your cultures "theory". Given that, we already know that "good beat, easy to dance to, I'll give it a 98" is how most people think. The masses don't care, IMO, about how complex a musical piece is or whether it violated/adhered to some academics theory of what should have been done. They want a good beat and a catchy phrase/melody that they enjoy and want to sing/hum/dance along to. In that scenario, like Lou Reed said "One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz.". Now he did not live by that rule (unless you want to call most of his work jazz), but you get the point, it does not take complex theory to make good music, especially rock n roll ;~))

If you want to create something beyond rock/pop music, theory has it's place and will likely help you to do so, and some won't even need it because they are naturals. And even rock/pop music can be complex, but generally speaking it is not as far as I know. And even in rock/pop, there is theory at play, but nothing that requires any intense study IMO nor should anyone feel intimidated or ashamed by the simplicity employed to make good music. Look at the Beatles, CCR, Steve Miller, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Buddy Holly, country music, etc. Yes, in many pieces you will have elements that have more complex things going on, but the basic theory of so many of the most popular songs ever are VERY simple. There is a reason why jazz and classical don't have a huge market share in the music sales and concert world, it is because most people don't want to be challenged when they are listening to music, and often both of those genre's will challenge your mind to follow and keep up with what is happening (because in part of the more complex elements of music theory being employed). The more complex it gets, the lower your audience numbers will be IMO. Does that make it less valuable? From a monetary stand point yes. But from a "pushing the boundaries" standpoint, it is essential. I LOVE a lot of jazz, and I ain't talkin' Kenny G. I love some classical. Prog rock is one of my favorite forms of rock because of it's complexity and the "beyond normal" elements it brings to the table, but none of this makes me think that in order to create good or even great music, one needs to become well versed in theory. The better you understand music and it's theory, the easier the task of creating music will be for most, but the depth you need to explore theory is a whole other question and I don't think you need to be in the deep end to be a good/great musician.

So KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) and make (up) music. Let the academics debate over the theory and the geniuses create the complex stuff. For the simpletons like me, just keep on keepin' on doin' what sounds good and try to not go off the cliff ;~))

Back