All about bicycles

Closed out the year big with my second loop around Lake Okeechobee on the 30th. Just under 115 miles. The weather was absolutely perfect; overcast and literally 20-30 degrees cooler the whole time compared to when I did it in April (46-61 vs. 66-93 degrees!). No surprise I came through in much better condition.

I thought it would be fun to share how I kept my engine running for such an adventure...

Eats:
2 PB&J sammies
3 Clif Kid Z Bars
4 Science In Sport gels

Drinks:
2 bottles of Skratch high carb/Gatorade endurance mix
2 bottles with Skratch hydration single serve packs
About .75 liters of regular water

Grand Total:
2,232 calories in. Estimated burn around 3,400, so still at a deficit of more than 1,100 calories!
465g carbs
13g protein

North side. Canal on the left, lake on the right.
zxeygMsh.jpg

After making the slow turn to the east side. That's a mighty big lake.
15l2JqWh.jpg

Further south, bye-bye civilization and hello gravel.
3exRRKgh.jpg

At the bottom end, back on pavement with sugar cane as far as the eye can see. And what I presume are processing plants on the horizon.
8UbhPDCh.jpg

Harvest time!
K5XhYz8h.jpg

In the northwest it's back to gravel and away from the lake
LG6tt3lh.jpg

Had to pay my respects to the shelter that saved my ride last time at mile 105. Note the turkey vulture on the roof. Not today, vulture!
57WPt9ph.jpg

28F degrees this morning. Was hopi g the trails would be frozen but there was still running water in spots. We’ve had over a foot of rain since the beginning of December, which is VERY high for this area for, well, any time of year. Trees aren’t faring well, so dead trees and ones with shallow roots didn’t do well when the 40+ mph gusts started with the snow squall and cold front coming in for the week. I did, however, manage NBD last week, just need the weather to cooperate to get a shakedown ride. For now, the hardtail is on sloppy ride duty.

img_6872-jpeg.1202985

28F degrees this morning. Was hopi g the trails would be frozen but there was still running water in spots. We’ve had over a foot of rain since the beginning of December, which is VERY high for this area for, well, any time of year. Trees aren’t faring well, so dead trees and ones with shallow roots didn’t do well when the 40+ mph gusts started with the snow squall and cold front coming in for the week. I did, however, manage NBD last week, just need the weather to cooperate to get a shakedown ride. For now, the hardtail is on sloppy ride duty.

img_6872-jpeg.1202985
That's an awesome lookin' ride, congrats! Here's hoping you can get out on it soon!

Winter cycling anyone?

I didn't know you were that good! I think this is your best ride review yet!! Glad you have a rear fender on that machine, it seems from some shots that not having such would have been a painful experience!!! Keep up the great riding Dave, you are the MAN ;~))

:p

Wow... 3 days short of a month ago since I got a ride in last...
Seeing the rain again this morning was disappointing, but I was hopeful.
Weather broke a bit after noon, so I gave it another hour and took a chance on a short ride to Mud bay and back.
Rumour was the rain was done.

Expected the trails to be very sloppy, but they were way better than expected!

Dayum... still closed because of the train derailment on Nov 19/2023. No guards anymore though...

Took to the roads going back home. This house looks... um... busy...

This low rent shack would be tolerable...

Did a quick shopping stop, then home! Felt great to get out finally.

Sunday was even nicer! Didn't expect that at all (stupid weather apps).
Finally some sunshine, even though it was a degree or so less than Sat, the sun made it feel way better!

Barges upon barges, as far as the eye can see... span...

Oddly bleak looking...

The bike needs a bath...

Rack 'em and stack 'em...

It's about freakin' time...
Weather, work, and other stuff has kept me off the bike until today. Brushed the cobwebs off the bike (and myself) and headed out with some fantastic temps in the forecast.
Left home at 14C and expecting higher. Did not disappoint. Down to 2 long sleeve layers, and regular gloves.

Yup, still closed. Rats... almost 5 months now!

Complete gridlock on Hwy 99 heading South to the border...

The tide is NOT HIGH, and I'm movin' on...

Mount Baker at 10x zoom...

No idea...

No politics, but yeah...

Half way through I had to lose the top layer.
3/4 of the way I had to roll up my sleeves. Ended the ride at 19C. Could have been shorts and t-shirt!
Finally...

Finally got out for the first ride of the year this week. Made a couple earlier attempts, but weather and schedule just didn't cooperate. Rode 22 miles, a bit more than planned. Didn't feel like a particularly good ride, but I couldn't really tell because I'd had to put a new battery in the bike computer, which worked great - it was still going strong when I got home and found it on the dining room table. There are a handful of climbs on the route I took, and while I was able to maintain my streak of never having to stand to finish them, I really felt it in my legs. I told my wife that at one point, it felt like my heart was ready to jump out of my chest and spit at me.

Got back, checked my Strava app, and...22 miles in two hours. Averaged 11 mph for the first ride of the year - I'll take it. But what was weirder - it said it was my second best 30k time, plus 11 personal best segments. So I guess it was better than I thought!

Back