Pending doom and end of the world...

I do love football.
I loved college ball, which is now clearly pro ball. 😖

There are times I wonder whether sponsoring a professional football team is a desirable mission for a university. As a matter of principle this past offseason, I decided I wasn't going to feed the madness any longer. So I made a vow not to watch the professional football team my alma mater sponsors.

As you can probably guess, my boycott lasted until five minutes before kickoff of the first game of the season.

"I'll just watch the first few minutes of this game out of curiosity," I said. "I can stop any time."

Sadly, I couldn't stop. I watched every minute of every game, then waited for my next fix...

There are times I wonder whether sponsoring a professional football team is a desirable mission for a university. As a matter of principle this past offseason, I decided I wasn't going to feed the madness any longer. So I made a vow not to watch the professional football team my alma mater sponsors.

As you can probably guess, my boycott lasted until five minutes before kickoff of the first game of the season.

"I'll just watch the first few minutes of this game out of curiosity," I said. "I can stop any time."

Sadly, I couldn't stop. I watched every minute of every game, then waited for my next fix...

No matter how many times I tell myself that following college sports is a fool’s game, I can’t stop. Why would a normal person follow programs that will have entire new teams every 4-6 years? And with the portal openings and closings…you REALLY got to hate yourself for doing this. :p:D

If you asked anyone who knows me (not like you guys, I mean really knows me, grew up with me or whatever) they think basketball or softball when they think about “my sports.” Even though I played tennis in college, few people associate that with me unless they played with me. But that’s because I played competitive basketball and softball into my mid 50s, so quite literally there were some families I might have played those two things with or against one guy, his son and his grandson. I have literally played with and against guys that played in the ABA! LOL. (And NBA)

But I’ve grown less and less attracted to what basketball has become over the years. I LOVED the NBA but in the last 20 years have completely lost interest. Haven’t watched an NBA game in years. College basketball I LOVE, but it is becoming more and more like the NBA every single day. (Carry the ball on every dribble, travel every time down the court… rules have gone out the window) But I still watch almost every OSU and UC game, lots or tournament games etc. and I still go to high school games.

I watch lots of baseball, but mainly the Reds games, the all star game and some playoffs and usually most/all of the World Series.

But football… I go to most of our high school games. I watch every UC and every OSU game and many others. But I also watch a BUNCH of NFL games and love the pro game. I watch every Bengals game, every Sunday night and Monday night and Thursday night game. Love the NFL. And I didn’t play football in high school. LOVED the game but couldn’t take a chance on getting hurt before basketball which was the most important thing. And, I did play in a really good flag football league for a few years (which was a blast) but other than that and lots of organized pickup flag football games, I’ve never played the game in school or whatever.

So over the years, I’ve gone from watching basketball on ESPN almost every night to mainly watching my teams and the tournament. Baseball, only Reds and some playoffs. But I watch LOTS of other football games, high school, college and NFL. I LOVE FOOTBALL!

So over the years, I’ve gone from watching basketball on ESPN almost every night to mainly watching my teams and the tournament. Baseball, only Reds and some playoffs. But I watch LOTS of other football games, high school, college anI love it as weld NFL. I LOVE FOOTBALL!
It's a great spectator sport. I love watching it. I only played intramural ball at UM. That was about my skill level.

But here's why I feel a bit weird about what's happening in college ball...

My freshman dorm in Ann Arbor was South Quad. Since it was the closest one to the stadium, it was the football team's dorm; Dan Dierdorf's room was kitty-corner from mine. I mention him because we were friendly. College ball was different then. Freshmen had their own team, and couldn't play in varsity games. Nearly all players stayed the entire four years, even if they moved on to the NFL after graduation. Transfers were a rarity.

I love the university for a lot of reasons, try to give back, and one way is by guest lecturing from time to time about music production at the university's music school, which has some excellent programs.

As an adult in the '90s, I got to be friendly with Michigan's defensive coordinator, because Michigan's alumni association has a family summer camp on Walloon Lake in Northern MI, across from Hemingway's old cottage (they also have family camps in upstate NY and CA), and they have the coaches, profs, and so on come and give talks about their fields of study, or the team, etc. in the evening. The place is beautiful.

Pardon the digression:

The camp is really great, BTW. I mostly played tennis, my wife did the beach, the kids had counselors and activities, and then at night there'd be lectures. It's a lot of fun, and you're there for a week. Best vacation bargain ever, and there's no "what do you want to do, I dunno what do you want to do, etc." There are so many great activities - all the adults do whatever they feel like, and the families meet up for meals, which are really good, not your standard summer camp fare. We went every summer and my kids later were counselors there.

Northern Michigan lake country is gorgeous in summer, you're ten miles from Lake Michigan, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Harbor Springs, etc. So if you feel like taking off and going to some of the nearby places, that's great, too. There's also a golf course, horseback riding, sailing, wind surfing (which I was the worst at!) etc.

Anyway, my son and I got to tour Schembechler Hall, see the team practice, visit the weight room, locker room and other facilities, meet all the coaches and a lot of the players. I'm sure as an Ohio State fan you remember Tim Biakapatuka, Brian Griese, Charles Woodson and some of the other M players of that era. It was a treat to meet them.

Anyway, they cared an awful lot about playing for their team and school. It wasn't 'just business'. So today's focus on money is disappointing - to me.

Last edited:
Unlike the rest of you losers, I had sex the whole time. 🥳

"Liar. You watched a video on how to make a walking stick trimmed with antlers or some such, and fell asleep about 5 minutes in."

"But I had a pretty good dream the whole rest of the time. Same thing for all practical purposes, at this age."
So let me get this straight. Sex to 2 minutes and you watched 5 minutes of a video. That is how you spend the first 7 minutes of the day. How long was the nap and what did you do with the rest of the hours in the day? :)

So let me get this straight. Sex to 2 minutes and you watched 5 minutes of a video. That is how you spend the first 7 minutes of the day. How long was the nap and what did you do with the rest of the hours in the day? :)
Haha!

I was "at liberty", as they say. The day was split between learning to operate the latest orchestral articulations in a new sample library from one of my esteemed vendors, and experimenting with it to write some orchestral music once I got a feel for it.

But f#cking around with software all day is kinda/sorta sex, isn't it? 😂

And later, he found a partner.
I haven't been very attentive around here for a bit so I missed the upcoming (yesterday) downtime on the site until I tried to log in yesterday. And today I find this thread...yep, went through the whole shaboo and got some real good laughs out of it. Many thanks to all that have contributed such wisdom and the incredible warmth we share with each other during such harrowing times.;)
Even if all those things that were mentioned early never came to pass as far as worthy upgrades go...:D
I know we are over the dark time and the painful loss of much needed human contact, but here's my belated bit for y'all (true story):

Which reminds me... A buddy and I were up flying in my airplane heading out of town for lunch some years ago. During a rather benign part of the flight he asked me on the headset:
"Josh, do you remember the first time you had sex?"
"Of course, could never forget that time of my life!"
"Me too...scared the Hell out of me."
"You're kidding right? I mean was she ugly, or stupid or something?"
"Pffttt, no...likely because I was all alone..."

Have a great day everybody!

Back