Zach Meyer - how hollow?

cmedcoff

I just picked up 5th PRS, a Zach Meyer Trampus Green. Beautiful, lite, yet sounds big.

It has just 1 f hole. How much of the guitar is hollow? Anyone have links/pics to the inside?

It is a semi-hollow, so it will only be partly hollow, as TroyBaer mentioned probably just the lower bass side of the body where the f-hole is. Maybe it extends to the top part where the toggle is, but I doubt it.

I have to admit to never having thought about this before -- interesting. What do various levels of hollowness do to the tone? I guess it changes the chamber size and therefore the resonance frequency (or frequencies, since it's not a regular shape)?

I have a SE Custom 22 semi-hollow and it's the best guitar in my PRS collection. It just sounds so sweet and plays like a dream.

And the hollowness:
145953708028297800_resized.jpg

That X ray shot above is very similar to what I can see in my S2 Semi, and I fathom the ZM looks very similar inside as well. I've played one, and it's no joke when it comes to having some air inside.

That's why if I ever design my own semi-hollowbody, I will have it have a shape -- something creepy, like a skull or an embryo or satan or Jesus or an alien. Just so that if someone ever takes an X-ray, they see that image and poop themselves.

I can see through the f-hole in mine that the hollowed part goes up near the toggle switch cavity, and the other end wraps around where the bridge mounts and ends near the control cavity.

It wasn't supposed to be Sergio, it doesn't look like my SE Custom 22 semi either, it was just a picture I had in my armoury to give some idea of hollowness.:D

I feel that. I apologize if I seemed like a jerk with my terse response to justmunds post, I wasn't trying to challenge you.

I am really curious to know how hollowed out the SE's are though... Perhaps somebody with access to an X-ray machine at work that owns a couple of SE semi-hollows (rugerpc :rolleyes:) will help us out someday?

I remember a vid saying the S2 Mira Semi-hollow were a banana carve, I wouldn't be surprised if the other S2 Semis were like that, as well as the SEs.

I think Sergio's response was mainly to get me to calm tf down ;)

Back