Your first live concert?

First couple pages here I thought I might have the first and one of the more impressive, but then someone had Zepplin in ‘74 or ‘75, Bowie in ‘73, and than the STONES in 1965!!! Wow, tooooo cool!

Mine was George Harrison, with Ravi opening and Billy Preston stealing the show, in Tucson, AZ, where I grew up. 1974, pretty early if I remember. I think I was 14, might have just turned 15. A friend’s mom had to take us in her big old station wagon... Enormously memorable. I saw almost every ‘70’s rock band by the time I got out of high school in ‘76, most of them not that great (Skynard opening for Rod Stewart with Ron Wood in ‘75 was the exception - amazing)!. I saw Cheap Trick or the Charlie Daniels Band probably open for about 20 acts - I was so sick of both of them! Then in late ‘77 I saw the Dead for the first time, which re-scrambled my musical brain good and hard! Went out and bought my first guitar, a $60 pawnshop acoustic with barbed wire strings and action about half an inch off the fretboard right after that show. And then over the next year and a half, I saw the Dead a few more times, the Stones for the first time, Springsteen twice, and a few great jazz artists (Dexter Gordon, George Benson, Abercrombie and Towner, Ella with Oscar and Joe Pass) and I was off and running...

-Ray

It was summer arts festival when I was a little kid. They had a stage set up, and my parents felt the need to torture me by sitting on the lawn and watching a Laura Branigan concert. That is my first memory of live music. I will never get the sound of 'Gloria' out of my head.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if that experience resulted in many of my dysfunctions?

Kevin

Wow! That's on par with waterboarding and bamboo under the fingernails...and kids today think they have it bad?! Maybe my parents weren't so bad after all o_O:D

Journey, Memphis TN, Thanksgiving weekend 1985. Glass Tiger was supposed to open for them but got snowed in somewhere. With no opening band, Journey played for 3 hours!!! Still one of the best concerts I've seen!

Back