Concert report - My Chemical Romance

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Caught them last night at Heritage Bank Center in Cincinnati, with my mom, Mrs Aahzz, and my eldest child. Two opening bands - I generally give opening bands a shot, but the first, Dilly Dally, had a singer with a banshee screech that dang near triggered my fight or flight reflex. They were also, oddly, the loudest band of the night by a fairly large margin, which in my opinion didn't help with the singer's screeching. Spent most of the time trying to walk around the merch/vending area. I say trying, because this show also had the longest merch lines I've ever seen. They stretched so far around the arena that they overlapped, with four merch areas inside and two outside. Of course, the show was sold out, so there were a LOT of emo folks who wanted t-shirts. And yes, I was one of them but since I had my mother in a wheel chair they let us go to the front of the line.

Next up was Turnstile. They were alright - I'm not going to add them to a playlist, but I enjoyed their set.

My Chem took the stage after a 5 minute build-up of sound and odd lighting, and the crowd went absolutely bananas. The crowd stayed that way the whole night. The band was fantastic. They played like a band with nothing to prove, having fun and utterly on fire. Ray Toro doesn't get enough credit for his lead work - his tone and playing were excellent. They also had actual amps on stage, which is getting to be a rare sight - and it wasn't a wall of empty cabs, Ray and Frank each had what appeared to be a Twin (I wasn't close enough to fully verify). Frank had a Supro and a Marshall, Ray had 2 half stacks, I think at least one was a Marshall. Ray mostly played a Les Paul and a Jr, Frank played a Les Paul Custom, a Tele, and some Jazzmasters.

Set list was good. They've been changing it up at least some every show, which I appreciate. Personally, I'd've preferred a few more songs from Black Parade and Danger Days, but I came in as a fan on Black Parade. I still like their earlier stuff, but that's my sweet spot - and I was thrilled that they played both "Mama" and "Sleep". The crowd resonated with all of it - every song, the crowd sang along with a gusto I've not seen for other bands. My daughter was singing, bouncing, and grinning through the whole thing :).

The stage was great, lighting was great, sound could have been better - it wasn't awful but Heritage Bank Center doesn't have the best acoustics and most sound engineers don't handle it well, in my experience...it *can* sound great in there, but it generally sounds OK.

Overall, a really enjoyable show and if I get a chance to catch them again I'll do it without hesitation.

I would love to see their show. I am only real familiar with the Black Parade album, but that album is strong start to finish.

Glad you enjoyed the night!

I would love to see their show. I am only real familiar with the Black Parade album, but that album is strong start to finish.

Glad you enjoyed the night!

We got 5 songs from Black Parade last night, so it was well represented - Teenagers, Welcome to the Black Parade, Famous Last Words, Mama, and Sleep. It is a great album, one of those where I don't skip any songs - unless Mrs Aahzz or my daughter are around, both of them are just tired of Welcome to the Black Parade.

Glad you had fun!

Here's my concert report. :mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I found out yesterday at 3:00 that Sammy and the Circle were in Cinci last night at Riverbend! I was so mad I almost threw something.... I was a couple days behind on my Cincinnati Enquirer... and got all the way to 3 hours before show before I found out that a band I said I absolutely would not miss, was HERE! Of course, it was way too late to change plans and go. If some ticket sales spam email hadn't come through at 3:00 yesterday, I wouldn't have even known until I caught up on the weekend papers last night.

Did I mention that I'm PISSED! How do you have a major act like that get here and don't know it? I found the article about it in the Enquirer last night and it was in Saturday or Sunday's paper... but I listen to WEBN and 96.5. How does this happen? How do you not know months, or at least weeks in advance of a major band coming to your city? Inexcusable!

We got 5 songs from Black Parade last night, so it was well represented - Teenagers, Welcome to the Black Parade, Famous Last Words, Mama, and Sleep. It is a great album, one of those where I don't skip any songs - unless Mrs Aahzz or my daughter are around, both of them are just tired of Welcome to the Black Parade.
Same here.
Straight through, every time.

Glad you had fun!

Here's my concert report. :mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I found out yesterday at 3:00 that Sammy and the Circle were in Cinci last night at Riverbend! I was so mad I almost threw something.... I was a couple days behind on my Cincinnati Enquirer... and got all the way to 3 hours before show before I found out that a band I said I absolutely would not miss, was HERE! Of course, it was way too late to change plans and go. If some ticket sales spam email hadn't come through at 3:00 yesterday, I wouldn't have even known until I caught up on the weekend papers last night.

Did I mention that I'm PISSED! How do you have a major act like that get here and don't know it? I found the article about it in the Enquirer last night and it was in Saturday or Sunday's paper... but I listen to WEBN and 96.5. How does this happen? How do you not know months, or at least weeks in advance of a major band coming to your city? Inexcusable!

It's funny, I also just saw yesterday that they were in town...hadn't heard a peep about that show, and I pay a lot of attention to upcoming shows. That royally sucks.

It's funny, I also just saw yesterday that they were in town...hadn't heard a peep about that show, and I pay a lot of attention to upcoming shows. That royally sucks.
I mean, I could blame myself for being a few days behind on the newspaper, but with two local rock stations I listen to regularly, and all the concert spam emails you get and all, I just can't figure out how this could happen. It's funny... back before there was email and texts and internet and every other forum of "in your face all the time," you knew MONTHS in advance when concerts were coming because the rock stations made SURE you knew! And even TV ads.

Sorry for the sidetrack

I mean, I could blame myself for being a few days behind on the newspaper, but with two local rock stations I listen to regularly, and all the concert spam emails you get and all, I just can't figure out how this could happen. It's funny... back before there was email and texts and internet and every other forum of "in your face all the time," you knew MONTHS in advance when concerts were coming because the rock stations made SURE you knew! And even TV ads.

Sorry for the sidetrack
’august 20th at the mississippi coast coliseum — an evening with ’orleans’!’

Back