Your first live concert?

Discussion in 'Artists & Music' started by flux, Jan 25, 2018.

1. flux

flux 594 & CU24

With all the recent topics about our influences and favorite players, revisiting this subject sounds like good fun. There's an existing thread from some years ago: First live concert?, but a new one seemed more appropriate.

I had fun recalling this, because as usual most people had a way cooler first live target than I. For the longest time, my "first concert" memory was of The Hooters opening up for Loverboy at Rosemont Horizon. I've now realized my memory was off, by a year and a half or so.

My first show was The Jacksons at Comiskey Park in October 1984. Now I feel a little better. :D

[Full disclosure: I wanted to see The Police on Synchronicity, had it been left up to me, but parental interference spoiled my plans.]

ScottR, Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Palmer Auditorium, Davenport, Iowa (where I spent my first 20 years), 1981...,,April Wine with Uriah Heep opening. My buddies and I were bog April Wine fans, but had never heard of Uriah Heep. I remember we made so much fun of their name. Man, did they ever set us straight! Seriously rocked that place. Mick Box playing with one hand set me off! Little did I know how easy that is! But, it solidified my love for guitar, and set me on the path to ditch my sax for one!

flux, DreamTheaterRules and ScottR like this.
  3. toothace

toothace At least I'm good at dentistry

Springfield, MA. Springfield Civic Center. 1980 Cheap Trick "Dream Police" tour. Can't remember who opened.

flux and ScottR like this.
  4. walrus

walrus New Member

1976, Elton John at the old Foxboro Stadium in MA. Two backup bands, John Miles of "High Fly" fame, and Dave Mason.

flux, ScottR and GuitarDrummer like this.
  5. WEDGE

WEDGE Almost was a FG22 owner..

1979 Springfield, MA. Judas Priest opening for Kiss. Epic show for a sixteen year old Kiss freak. General admittance so I got there early and hung on the stage barrier.

flux and ScottR like this.
  6. Jmartin

Jmartin New Member

1976 Kiss

flux, ScottR and WEDGE like this.
  7. Wakester

Wakester Class Clown

My first live concert by a major act would have to be Mr. Mister opening for Heart at the Hampton Roads Colloseum in Virginia. 87 or 88 I think, it was for the Bad Animals Tour. General admission tickets, meant no seats on the floor and a mad rush for the fence. I think Ann was 8 month pregnant at the time, but still belted out a Hell of a show. I was still underage, but managed to sneak in 2 beers that a buddy gave me. Security was not the best back then.

8. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Saturday 6th July 1991, maybe not my first, but most memorable!

A hot summers day at Milton Keynes Bowl, is pasty brits were dropping like flies, with sun burn. Some of the crowd were bandaged up in cling film and aloe vera!

Beer was cold, mmm.

Law - Paul Rodgers outfit of that time, I got to hear one of my vocal heroes singing “Alright Now”. I was over the moon. OK it wasn’t Free, but I was born in the wrong decade for that to have happened!

Thunder - another of my guilty pleasure of the late ‘80’s - ‘90’s!!

Bryan Adams - when the played “Run to You” and “Cuts like Knife”, I was right at the front. I swear he looked right at me. I so wanted to being singing along side him, even harmony!!

ZZ Top - well what can I say, “La Grange” was our anthem when we were in my friends garage (it was his Dad’s, but it felt like our domain), working on our beaten up cars. “Sharp dressed Man” ....

Heck you can even buy the original ticket for £12!! Haha!

flux, ScottR and Wakester like this.
  9. Wakester

Wakester Class Clown

I was just listening to Thunder on my road trip for work, the other day. I got their first CD release, before it was released in the states, from a radio station I was working with at the time.

ScottR and Alnus Rubra like this.
  10. GuitarDrummer

GuitarDrummer New Member

Same, July 21, 1976 at Market Square Arena. I remember seeing the full-page ad for it on the 4th of July in the Indianapolis Star, freaking out, and begging my dad about how it was only five bucks.

Hoping to get tickets for his farewell tour.

flux, ScottR and Alnus Rubra like this.
  11. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

If you haven’t seen it, you need to watch Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

GuitarDrummer likes this.
  12. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

Alice In Chains - 1992, I think.

13. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Super Bowl of Rock Game #3
    .38 Special, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Ted Nugent

ScottR, Alnus Rubra and GuitarDrummer like this.
  14. pennyroyal

The Smashing Pumpkins during the Mellon Collie tour. Garbage was their opening band.

ScottR and GuitarDrummer like this.
  15. mad monk

mad monk New Member

First major act concert, 1978. Bottom to top- Mother's Finest, Black Oak Arkansas, Foreigner, Ted Nugent. Freakin' awesome.

ScottR and Alnus Rubra like this.
  16. toothace

toothace At least I'm good at dentistry

I think this is the show my Dad wouldn't let me go to!!:mad:

ScottR likes this.
  17. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Nice! There were HUGE arguments at my house because I wanted to go see that tour. Some involving me allegedly telling my friend that I was allowed to go if he was allowed. Turns out he told his mother that I said that, which ended up getting me in trouble. Ultimately, my dad's friend said he'd go, and he took us. But that was my second concert.

18. WEDGE

WEDGE Almost was a FG22 owner..

That sucks, was a fantastic show. Made a huge impression on me. Never heard of Priest and when the lights went out and the Harley started roaring and Halford rolled onto the stage I was awestruck. Crazy good set and then Kiss....nuff said.

19. Bran_Flakes

Bran_Flakes New Member

First concert was 3 Doors Down in 2008...Was 13ish. Was pretty cool at the time. Slash, Bonamassa, and Tremonti have since shown me the light in live shows though Lol

I get the feeling I'm one of the younger people on this forum...;)

mad monk and Alnus Rubra like this.
  20. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Nah - we're all children here!