Disappointing live gigs....

One of the funniest things I ever saw was at Ace Frehley last year (which was a good show, so it doesn't really fit here, but...). We were in the third row (that's important to know), and a few songs into Ace's set, the woman in front of us walked out. I assumed to go to the bathroom. A couple minutes after she came back, my buddy tapped me and leaned over and said, "She went and took her panties off. She just handed them to her boyfriend." A few seconds later, he threw them onstage.

Well, in the direction of the stage.

He barely got them on the front edge of the stage, about three or four feet on OUR side of the monitors. From the second row.

They spent the rest of the set trying to figure out how to get them back. They finally got them during the set break, then he threw them from right at the edge of the stage and got them to Ace. At which point, dim bulb girlfriend covers her face and acts all embarrassed.

Thirty-some-odd years ago, I saw a more successful, and somewhat more sordid display play out at a Ted Nugent show (but much farther away from me). Let's just leave it at Ted was much more exuberant in his appreciation. And, at three different shows, I did get to see various donations being made to the Frank Zappa panty quilt (again, from a distance).
Nice!

My sons took me to see Chuck Berry play an anniversary show in University City, St. Louis, MO in 2011. We had the best time! The venue was very cool and totally sold out...cram-packed with people (think the same type venue PRS used for the Exp 2015 show) and literally standing room only. He sucked. He's a thousand years old (only about 5 years younger than Les) and still calls musical audibles that throw his band off. But we still got to see him live and experience a piece of history.

Fixed it. :cool::p

I think the WORST SHOW ever has to be Oasis, Palace of Auburn Hills, MI, 1996. I am by no means an Oasis fan (nor will i EVER be). The only reason I went because I really wanted to get with this one chick who was damn near obsessed by those talentless hacks. Anyway, I decided to throw caution to the wind and tagged along with this yo-yo just to see if I could get with her later on. Well, the show started off with a couple of no name bands (that were not worth remembering anyway), then Screaming Trees came on and they put on a good show. I was kinda hoping that Oasis would have seen that they just got upstaged by a far superior band, tucked their alcoholic tails between their legs and flew home to England in disgrace but no such luck. So Oasis hits the stage and they sounded like pure dog doo-doo. Liam sang like he was half in the bag from the start (big shocker there) and Noel kept fiddling around with his guitar as it was constantly going out of tune. The other lackies played like they were bored to death. By the end of the second song, I couldn't take my ears being raped anymore by the suckage so I went outside to smoke and pretty much stayed there until the end of the concert. Oh, and I lost track of that girl too so aside from Screaming Trees, the evening was a total waste of time. I am so thankful that Oasis is dead and buried like the over-polished turd they always were.

just a quick reminder about Forum Rule #1

Our rules are simple: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything", "treat others as you wish to be treated", etc.

We're all here for the love of music and instruments. Please treat your fellow forum members with respect and with respect for their opinion, as different as it may be from your own. Any "trolling", personal attacks or unbecoming behavior is against forum rules and won't be tolerated (and it just makes you look bad). We won't agree on everything, but let's not focus on disagreements.

Be kind!

don't want to close the thread but I ask that we please be gentle!

Probably not the worst experience, but just a few weeks ago I took my son and his friend to see Black Stone Cherry, Halestorm, and Shinedown at Merriweather Post.

The bands all rocked great performances, but the mix sounded awful to me. All bass, which I loved, but no mids, no highs. I thought it might have been location so I walked all around the pavilion but it was no better.
It was this way for all of the bands. Really disappointing when the singer is inaudible and the guitars are muddled.

Hate to say it but Iron Maiden Ft Lauderdale 2016..
1st date or the Book Of Souls Tour & the guitars were almost non existent in the mix for the WHOLE SHOW!!
When they did bleed through the mix they were short lived and very trebley.
I had seen them on the Somewhere Back In Tine tour at the same venue and the sound was dead on..
Bruce, Steve, & Nicko Sounded Amazing and I was happy to see them live again especially after Bruce's bout with Cancer but a Maiden show without Guitars Is Sacrilegious!!

Hate to say it but Iron Maiden Ft Lauderdale 2016..
1st date or the Book Of Souls Tour & the guitars were almost non existent in the mix for the WHOLE SHOW!!
When they did bleed through the mix they were short lived and very trebley.
I had seen them on the Somewhere Back In Tine tour at the same venue and the sound was dead on..
Bruce, Steve, & Nicko Sounded Amazing and I was happy to see them live again especially after Bruce's bout with Cancer but a Maiden show without Guitars Is Sacrilegious!!

That's a bummer! I can gladly report that by the time they made it Chicago in April they were dead on! Just like you would usually expect.

Probably not the worst experience, but just a few weeks ago I took my son and his friend to see Black Stone Cherry, Halestorm, and Shinedown at Merriweather Post.

The bands all rocked great performances, but the mix sounded awful to me. All bass, which I loved, but no mids, no highs. I thought it might have been location so I walked all around the pavilion but it was no better.
It was this way for all of the bands. Really disappointing when the singer is inaudible and the guitars are muddled.
FINALLY! I just thought it was me. Recently saw Saint Asonia, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed at Red Rocks. I have never been so excited for a concert! Don't get me wrong. I had an amazing time and enjoyed every minute. So glad I went.

BUT.... First of all, the drums were too loud in the mix. Made it more difficult to hear the guitars. THEN, came to realize that the bass frequencies for all instruments was EQ'd WAY too loud. Guitar tone? What guitar tone? Honestly, they could have been using ANY amp with that sound! Dan Donegan's was not perfect, but much better than the other 3 bands. WHY must they do this!!!

Rant off.....

Kevin

Smashing Pumpkins - Hartford, Ct - late 90's
Just a mess of sound

I shouldn't include Bob Dylan at Wembley in, 1984 as if he'd played at his best, I'd have hated it. I went to see Santana.

The worst I've seen was Aerosmith , at NEC, Birmingham (UK) in 1993. Steve Tyler didn't acknowledge the audience at all, and they all looked like they were going through the motions. A real let down.

I've had a few. First was the Rolling Stones at Shea Stadium - Steel Wheels tour. Living Colour was the opening act and totally ripped it up but you could not hear them because the stones wouldn't let them play through the PA system. The Stones were awful but the worst was having mezzanine seats under the upper deck and seeing tons of concrete swings in two feet waves about your head. Absolutely scary. The second was Elton John at the Arena at Harbour Yard in Bridgeport. Really a poor show.

Now for the best show of my concert career....wait for it.....After Neil Peart lost his wife and daughter hit the road after a five year break. They decided to tour again and opened the tour in Hartford, CT outdoors. All day rain eventually clearing. After the first chord of opening with Tom Sawyer, it was if a lightning bolt went though the crowd. Was it heir best show ever, no, but it was great to see the boys back together again. They also ripped into a version of Wont Get Fooled again because Entwistle died that same week. Unrehearsed and killed it. Best show by far because of the emotional value.

I've seen Charlie Hunter dozens of times with various band members and it's always been amazing. When he came through Portland with Mark Benevento and Bobby Previte, my wife and I walked out. I've managed to get through a lot of bad shows and technically I guess this show wasn't bad because everyone was playing extremely well, the music just wasn't interesting.

Back