Why No 2-Point Bridge System on S2 Custom 24s?

Marty Canaday

We are and become what we do!
My curiosity is getting the best of me! I'm wondering why PRS doesn't have 2-point bridge systems on their S2 Custom 24 guitars? Forgive my ignorance if they don't use 2-point at all. The bridge on my PRS looks like the 6-point bridge that comes on older Fenders. Just wondering.

Because PRS has SIX knife edges instead of two like a 2-point bridge. It's really a killer system - I don't miss using Floyd Rose trems at all.

I thought 2-point systems were better than 6-point systems? I keep hearing that locking tuners and 2-point bridge systems account for excellent tuning stability.

Each screw on the PRS trem is notched like a knife edge. The bridge "locks" into the notches on the screw making for a MEGA stable trem.

Floyd's are great once you learn how to set them up right. However, I find the PRS trem system (with the locking tuners) can go pretty crazy while keeping tune really well.

Floyd trems work incredibly well but string changes suck. Prs trem will get you most of the way there plus string changes are soo much easier.

I have a torero and the Floyd on that guitar has too much play in the trem arm. I really dislike that.

Yeah PRS Trem isn't like a 6 saddle strat bridge.
It 'floats' in the 6 knife edges.
Very stable.

I believe PRS’ trem is patented. It’s more stable than any 2 point trem, and is different from a Fender trem, as other have said.

Although folks are used to seeing the bridges on PRSes now, when it was introduced reviewers flipped over how good it was, and how well the guitars stayed in tune.

It’s a brilliant piece of engineering. In other words, it’s one of the “ultimate quality” things that gave PRS guitars their worldwide reputation.

I believe PRS’ trem is patented. It’s more stable than any 2 point trem, and is different from a Fender trem, as other have said.

Although folks are used to seeing the bridges on PRSes now, when it was introduced reviewers flipped over how good it was, and how well the guitars stayed in tune.

It’s a brilliant piece of engineering. In other words, it’s one of the “ultimate quality” things that gave PRS guitars their worldwide reputation.

It’s easy to take that for granted nowadays. The PRS trem and tuners changed my life for the better.

It’s easy to take that for granted nowadays. The PRS trem and tuners changed my life for the better.

I would have to agree. I was a Floyd guy for a really long time. I just got tired of string changes with floyds so I got rid of all of them and tuck to McCarty and a LP Classic. Then I got a wrap bridge cu22.

After a while I got to missing the trem and took a chance on a used cu24 trem 5909s.

Two things happened. I discovered 10 minute string changes and my holy grail pickups.

I traded cu22 to rider1260 but still have McCarty. All my other core prs guitars are trems.

I have been a Floyd user for years. Like the others, I got tired of the string changes/setup routine. My first experience with the PRS Bridge was on my S2CU24 (SE Bridge) and with a little Graph-it-All and some initial string stretching I could beat the snot out of it and it was stable. I recently got a PRS/Mann 2040 Bridge (replaced the stock SE Bridge) for my CE24 and it is even better IMHO. The Floyd with a recessed body rout was great for my attempt at guitar acrobatics, but the Mannmade Trem and the stock SE Trem works just great for what I play now and it is a lot less hassle to change strings. I still have my Floyd equipped Guitar, but it is rarely used nowadays. Rock on Marty !!!

Back