Why is this happening??

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Never had this problem before. Screws are backing out of trem bridge. I own many PRS Core guitars and never had this problem before. What is going on, what am I doing wrong?
BiOZgAU.jpg

My guess is it’s just vibrations and very slightly looser screws. My CU22 soap bar does that with the high E as well - I’ve actually had it fall out a couple times and at least once had to search for the spring on a black and red textured carpet with not great lighting.

My guess is it’s just vibrations and very slightly looser screws. My CU22 soap bar does that with the high E as well - I’ve actually had it fall out a couple times and at least once had to search for the spring on a black and red textured carpet with not great lighting.

I strip them in there intentionally so those rascals are NEVER coming out!!

;)

Maybe a very small amount of Loctite? Can’t imagine it would hurt sustain if the screws keep backing out anyway. Maybe it’s the brass screws ? It’s the only PRS I have with them.

The springs keep tension on the screw to keep it from moving. The spring is not compacted enough to hold tension. You will need a longer spring or a stiffer spring. 2 springs might work if there is enough room, although they may bind together & you will not get the tension you need. My suggestion is the same spring that is 3/16 - 1/4" longer. I did have to do that once...........

Last edited:
The springs keep tension on the screw to keep it from moving. The spring is not compacted enough to hold tension. You will need a longer spring or a stiffer spring. 2 springs might work if there is enough room, although they may bind together & you will not get the tension you need. My suggestion is the same spring that is 3/16 - 1/4" longer. I did have to that once...........

Thanks for your reply. I received a PM suggesting I use a pickup spring cut longer than the bridge springs to create more tension. I’m going to try that. I have a few pickup springs in spare parts draw. I’ll let you all know how it works out after I do it.

I've had the same problem on the same string on the guitar in my avatar. Lost the screw and spring. Had to buy a new set of screws. I guess at least i have spares now..

Something is definitely wrong, certainly in your picture you have almost all of the saddles too far up. the saddles are hitting the tremolo mounting screws. There should be at least 3 or 4 mm before your saddle hits the tremolo screw.
Once the saddles Have moved as far forward as possible the screw Spring will definitely have no tension on it. And then it will easily back out, especially if you reduce tension but a lot of divebombing.

It seems to me like it needs a fresh set up, Take off all the strings move the saddles To the center position, it should be pretty much set up in the middle of their adjustable range to begin the setup. Restring it then tune, Level the tremolo correctly, if the tremolo is not leveled it can require an oddball saddle adjustment to get it intonated. it looks like it's been adjusted multiple times over the years it needs to start back to original factory middle-of-the-road settings, I think it might be a case of fine-tuning after fine-tuning after fine-tuning till it's really far out of whack. Those look like really extra heavy gauge strings too. those 11s? Your low E string is about correct near the middle of the saddles travel range. reset them all somewhere around that point.
These are all just guesses the picture doesn't have all the right angles for a full judgment.

Back