Why is there noise only at the 2nd position on blade switch?

DanWessonValor

My Core CU24 has some odd issue. Assuming position 5 is for the neck pickup, the 2nd position produces unwanted noise. I tried different 1/4" cables, going into amp directly, etc. But only at this position, there is noise. All the other positions are silent (unless I play).

Last edited:
My Core CU24 has some odd issue. Assuming position 1 is for the neck pickup, the 4th position produces unwanted noise. I tried different 1/4" cables, going into amp directly, etc. But only at this position. All the other positions are silent (unless I play).
Any change of RF signal in the house lately? Have you tried cleaning the inners of the axe? Perhaps it's even time for a new wiring?

Any change of RF signal in the house lately? Have you tried cleaning the inners of the axe? Perhaps it's even time for a new wiring?
RF signal? I have to look into this.
This guitar is 2022 so would be surprised thst it would need cleaning.

Probably because that’s the only position with both single coils?

Wouldn't having both single coils cancel the hum? Since it's essentially creating a humbucker? I've only ever heard of 60 cycle hum with 1 single coil in position. Maybe a solder joint is off or loose

If position 4 is not humcancelling, the most common possibilities are:

1) Your neck and middle pickups are the same polarity, OR
2) You have a bad ground/cold solder joint either on the switch or the pickup itself, OR
3) The 4th position creates a ground loop because your harness is grounded incorrectly.

Good luck, Sherlock!

It appears it is 60 sec hum. See the 5 min mark.

That's the normal hum we all hear with single coils. Yours should not be noisy in one of the paired positions. Other than what I already suggested, your switch could also be wired incorrectly to give a single-coil position in position 4 (usually middle + neck). You need to pop the hood and do an inspection.

Wouldn't having both single coils cancel the hum? Since it's essentially creating a humbucker? I've only ever heard of 60 cycle hum with 1 single coil in position. Maybe a solder joint is off or loose
It depends on how they are wired. If they are wired in parallel they are not creating a humbucker. If they are wired in series they are.

That's the normal hum we all hear with single coils. Yours should not be noisy in one of the paired positions. Other than what I already suggested, your switch could also be wired incorrectly to give a single-coil position in position 4 (usually middle + neck). You need to pop the hood and do an inspection.
I thought he said position 2(Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel) was the noisy one.

That's because the single coil is hanging out there with nothing to cancel the noise. You will always be susceptible to 60 cycle hum in that position. Every core Custom with the blade switch is like this.

The two singles position has them in parallel, reverse polarity, so they are hum cancelling together. (Like most modern Strats in 2 & 4.)

Back