Quick question about latching switch

TLOPband

Hello everyone. Was hoping I could get a bit of guidance for a mod I did on my PRS Mira.

It was originally a two humbucker guitar but I put in a p90 in the middle position and changed the 3 way blade switch for a 5 way. I did a mod on my PRS Swamp Ash Special that uses an additional push pull pot on the volume (the tone is for coil splitting) to turn the bridge pickup on so I can have the neck and bridge together in position 1 (and all three pickups in position 2). For the Mira, I decided to put in a latching push button to do the same thing that also has an LED ring that lights up when the button is pushed in. Here's the link to the one I installed from Amazon:

Latching Push Button Switch, 16mm 12V Momentary Push Button LED Latching ON/Off Power Push Button Switch, 1 Pack Power Symbol+Ring LED Stainless Steel Waterproof (White) https://a.co/d/bBA5zVD

The issue I now have is that to power the LED I can use batteries, but the LED seems to constantly draw power from the button batteries I was using (2 × 2032s stacked in black electrical tape bundle with the positive and negative wires) so that even if I didn't have the LED on, the batteries go dead. I switched the button batteries for a square 9-volt (attached a 9-volt end onto the positive and negative wires) which worked fine but the battery got really hot. Then I tried two AAs with a battery box wired up and they got hot as well.

So I'm not sure what to do about the LED light. Perhaps I have it wired wrong, but it works well without the light. If I can't run it off of batteries then I should just go with a dpdt or something. Does anyone know if there are switches made for guitars that would run off of batteries that would do the job? I know I could certainly use a plain switch and hook up an LED wired to button batteries that I could make a hole in the pickguard for to show it's on, but if anyone knew of a switch designed for this that I could buy online then I would go with that.

Thanks for reading. And thanks in advance for any help
vWJMoZP.jpeg
5u3AoF6.jpeg

Oh fudge I love that Franken-Mira!

To me, it looks like you're using a car rated switch in the guitar. A normal LED requires about 1.5 v depending on the Color. 12v is a lot in a guitar. A single 9v battery is under volting and two AA is a serious undervolt and the batteries will get hot, as you've experienced.

There is a wire scheme where a trs jack is used with the neg of the battery wires to ring. This will make the battery "off" when a guitar cable is not inserted.

You may be better just disconnecting the battery, as I really like push button idea even without the LED on.

Good luck, it could be solved!

what a guy! great mods.
Both humbuckers are hooked to three way minitoggles for split/series/parallel, switch to turn on bridge and neck together or all three pickups in position 2, then it all goes through a five tone varitone with a bypass toggle switch. I forgot how many tones it does lol.Thanks for the comment

Back