Honeymoon is ending early - Updated: back on again

So sorry to hear about your pooch.

Love the maple back plates. Glad you’re sorting the guitar.

For reference, I found these threads that describe some of the same behavior I'm seeing. I'll post back with an update after it gets looked over, probably a few weeks.

Static and buzz (has video)

Switch popping

Made a few discoveries today

If I run my hand up and down the back of the neck without touching the strings the static is very prevalent even while muting the strings with the other hand. I tried the dryer sheet trick and it made a huge difference. I've read this sometimes happens with nitro finishes but it's only on the neck, not the body.

Second, if you get some really nice flame maple backplates, they curl up like bacon if you try to finish them with water based poly acrylic, LOL. That was an expensive way to learn I should have stuck with Tru Oil like I planned.

Made a few discoveries today

If I run my hand up and down the back of the neck without touching the strings the static is very prevalent even while muting the strings with the other hand. I tried the dryer sheet trick and it made a huge difference. I've read this sometimes happens with nitro finishes but it's only on the neck, not the body.

Second, if you get some really nice flame maple backplates, they curl up like bacon if you try to finish them with water based poly acrylic, LOL. That was an expensive way to learn I should have stuck with Tru Oil like I planned.
I've had it happen on non-nitro guitars, mostly in winter. It's just plain weird when it happens, but doing what you did works. In fact, one of my PS models (nitro finish) does it, but only on the neck pickup, and only in winter. But it's still the most wonderful guitar, so I don't much care.

Last edited:
Back