Why is the Custom 24 so popular compared to the 22?

Does it really matter what other people buy, anyway? Stores with good PRS stock have 22s and 24s, and stores where you can’t find more than the occasional CU24 aren’t worth shopping in. ;)

PS, it’s great to own both. :)

AGREED!!!

From my 'current' perspective, the Custom 22 isn't high on my wanted list - not because it isn't a fantastic instrument, its just because it doesn't offer 'me' enough difference or reason that I can't make-do for now with my current guitars and have no intention of losing/trading for a Cu22. I am one of those that opted for several of the other 22 Fret guitars. My 594 is probably the closest - although is also different in numerous 'key' areas that it doesn't really compare either - shorter scale length, different PU's, fatter body and a fixed bridge. The 509 and HBii are further from the Cu22 so I could add a Cu22 at some point but my Cu24 can be used to get close tonally and the bridge position isn't different at all.

A major part of the reason a Cu22 isn't high on my list wanted guitars is because I want a Special 22 semi-hollow, as well as a 594 Hollowbody ii, and these are right at the top. Considering the prices of these guitars (especially in the UK), as well as the very limited space I have in my home, I am not looking beyond these 2 guitars right now. I think the Special 22 could be a great and more versatile option over a Custom 22. If I had the money and space to own more guitars beyond these, the Cu22 would probably be on my list, as well as a Pauls guitar, 24-08/P24, P245SH, 513 (OK the last 2 are unlikely as they are not made anymore) and maybe some other brand guitars too. I am limited on space as well as funds - even if I dropped down tiers to the SE range, I still don't have the space - not unless I sell my Sofa and Bed and stack up the guitar cases to sit and sleep on...

I opted for a Custom 24, partly because it was my realistic (even if at times that was more a fantasy) dream guitar from the very first time I ever saw a PRS. Up until that point, my dream was to own a Gibson Les Paul Custom in wine red burst but that was eclipsed by a PRS Custom 24. Its the iconic and I would say defining PRS guitar. Its the model he launched PRS guitars with and its got its own PRS voice that isn't a Strat/Tele/Les Paul sound. Its got historic and to me sentimental value because it was the 'first' production PRS model and my 'dream' guitar. For me, the Custom 24 is the definitive PRS guitar and a must have where as the Custom 22, whilst being a fantastic and highly desirable model, its not as 'essential' as there are other 22fret models that I like/wanted more.

The correct to decision is to buy both, and I would if money was no object and space permitted but for me, the Custom 22 isn't very high on my list because there are numerous other 22 fret, twin humbucker type guitars on the market and I prefer other options ahead of this specific model. In truth, I don't know if I can realistically add 2 more guitars to my collection and may have to make a tough decision on which one to pick - which may end up being the Special 22 because my HBii does have the 58/15 LT's so I can get the hollowbody humbucker tones, just can't get the split coil tones the 594 HB would offer.

Not sure I would use the split coil Humbuckers enough to warrant the 594 HB but the Special 22 offers me so much more options. I just love PRS Hollowbody guitars, the look, the feel, the sound and they look incredible on the rear with the maple backs. If anything, the HB594 is more of an indulgence than adding to my palette of tones to paint beautiful music with. I know it adds 5 split coil HB tones but I would rather have the option to blend in Piezo chime and stick to the 3 humbucker options in my HBii if I was forced to have 1 or the other. Ideally, I want both holllowbody guitars. As I am at this dilemma, trying to justify fitting both guitars into my space, I can't see me adding in a Custom 22 - not unless some amazing deal crops up that I cannot resist. As Oscar Wilde said, I can resist anything except temptation and PRS guitars are so tempting!!!

I never have, and never will, look at any of my PRS as sounding “like” anyone else’s guitar. What I do have, is a number of unique sounding guitars that give me a single coil or Humbucker sound that I like. My 24 fretters get played just as much as my 22 fretters. I try to pick the guitar that will sound the best within the framework of whoever I’m Playing with.

It's all a very subjective argument. Some prefer a 22 fretter, some 24.

Here's why I prefer a custom 24/standard 24 over a custom 22/standard 22....and it's not the notes involved. I actually have both 24 fret PRS guitars and 22s (an extremely modded KL1812, Private Stock Custom 24 semi hollow, Holcomb Core, 2 Hollowbody 2s, and a Silver Sky).

I've heard that argument a lot that you only get 2 extra notes, and that's not at all why I prefer a custom 24. For me, it's how the guitar "sits" when I'm playing it live. The 24 fret with a 25" scale just seems to sit perfectly for equal access to all frets a tad bit easier than a 22. My only qualm with PRS is that they don't give you an option to put a stoptail bridge on 24s unless you go private stock. I'm not a fan of floating bridges as when you're like me, and messing around with different tunings, they're a pain.

This is why I went into the private stock realm and built a custom 24 with a stoptail, DGT neck, and jumbo frets. For me, maybe not for everyone else, it's my perfect guitar.

having 24 Frets on vintage inspired Guitar is just too much for me. I think that a low Output Humbucker in the Neck Position sounds best on a 22 Fret Guitar for getting that nice singing tones most people want in the neck position.

I beg to differ. I think SGs are great sounding vintage guitars. Although they have 22 frets, the neck pickup is not flush against the neck like a LP or a Custom 22, but pushed back towards the bridge like a Custom 24. A lot of them come with low output vintage pickups and they sound amazing. I’m more of a Custom 22 myself, but I’ve never played a Custom 24 I didn’t like.

I have 2 of each and love them all. The CU24s are more convincing for clean stratty sounds in positions 2 and 4, and a little better at my idea of "modern rock" sounds. The 22s do a bit better "vintage rock" and I prefer their neck pickup lead tones.
Some of this is no doubt due to different pickups on each.

22 guy here. But I suppose that is pretty well known around here at this point :D

prsi_by_klbryanphotography_dd0ckpf-pre.jpg

Sweet. Thanks for the photo/vid (I'd have been afraid to have the phone/video recorder over the guitar!!). Time for another PRS Anonymous meeting for me! :D

Does it really matter what other people buy, anyway? Stores with good PRS stock have 22s and 24s, and stores where you can’t find more than the occasional CU24 aren’t worth shopping in. ;)

PS, it’s great to own both. :)
This is true.
However, if the CU22 jumped in popularity (sales), perhaps a CE22 & CE22 semi hollow I would be released...

Because 24 fret master race.

I don't know, much less care at the end of the day. All I can say is I bought my custom 24 because I preferred it over the ubiquitous 22 fret offerings out there. I made my decision based on what complements my style, not on what's more 'hip' or 'popular.'

I only own an SE Custom 24 so I cant vouch for the feel or tone of the 22 however, vs. my Strat there is a difference. I’m not a shredder or great soloist by any means but the 24 feels much more comfortable between frets 12 and 17 because of how the neck is offset from the body on the 24.

-k

Here is my take, FWIW. Almost everyone hates a woofy neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar. In fact, you often have to do a swap to get a nice, clear sweet tone there, in my experience. Not so with a vintage style alnico pickup in the neck of a 24 fretter.

The pickup is closer to the bridge, it is clearer by design and location. My favorite neck humbuckers come from my 24 fret PRS. Don't give me the objection about the pickup poles not under the 24th fret harmonic----that has zero to do with where you are playing 99.9999% of your notes on the guitar, and does not effect any fretted pitches. Here are mine I compare and gig with all the time.

Best neck tone is the2008 CU24AP, Santana II is next, then the 2008 CU22AP.

To throw a monkey wrench into the 22 fret theory, this guitar's MIDDLE vintage humbucker would fool everyone for a superb and ideal "neck" humbucker tone.

You can get sweet vintage tones without playing a vintage design, plain and simple. Play what you dig, even if it's not vintage snob approved. That's what I do.

custom 22 with a middle pickup would be nice. i am this close to doing it.

To throw a monkey wrench into the 22 fret theory, this guitar's MIDDLE vintage humbucker would fool everyone for a superb and ideal "neck" humbucker tone.

You can get sweet vintage tones without playing a vintage design, plain and simple. Play what you dig, even if it's not vintage snob approved. That's what I do.

I love the timbre of my 24 fret models. I don't have the 22 fret versions so I cant compare sound. Maybe I would prefer the 22 fretters because I only use the neck pickups? That would be terrible because I love the extra notes and use them all the time.

Yes I have some 22 fret guitars as well and they are just fine. However, I am never going back to 21 frets.

Also I think that the pickups on a Custom 24 look really cramped together because of the 25 inch scale length that is shorter than most 24 fretted Guitars.

Really? You must have an excellent eye for detail. I cant even see that .5" difference.
Remember, there are 24.75" scale 24 fretters too of course.

And even if I could see it, and even if I were to agree that it did 'look cramped', I still don't think it would matter one bit.

Having been inspired to do a little playing comparison of my 24 to one of my 22-fretters by this thread (thanks for that, OP!), I’d have to say that for me it’s all about the midrange cut that I get with the 24. It sits in a dense mix really well. For me, that makes it a terrific solo instrument.

The 22s feel fatter in some ways because the mids are less pronounced, so the choice depends a lot on how many other instruments I’ve got going.

But the difference can be a subtle, context-driven thing.

All my 22s have stop tails, and all my 24s have trems. Do you have ones with the same bridge but different numbers of frets? I feel like the bridge would make the biggest difference (at least for the treble pickup).

I have a 24 fret with a trem, and a 22 fret with a trem, both PS. I did use those, though the 22 fret guitar I have with trem has 408s.

So there’s a difference right there, though I’ve often felt this way comparing earlier 24 fret and 22 fret humbucker, trem-equipped PRSes (at that time, CU24 vs CU22).

Most of my 22 fret PRSes have indeed had stop tails. That’s a very good point.

Back