Why is the Custom 24 so popular compared to the 22?

If we are sharing pictures...

This is my '22 fret' go to solid body guitar - my PRS 594. There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about the fantastic 594 - its modern day classic, feels great to play and the PU's are amazing - lots of clarity! No wonder John Mayer was so full of praise...

8sNcZH1.jpg

However, I also have a my PRS Hollowbody II with Piezo and a one Piece Maple top/back. I love this 22 fret guitar!! It has the same PU's as my 594 but the 'Hollowbody' tones - the Piezo adds a beautiful chime to it too.

iRJZWZk.jpg

Both of these are Fixed bridge and as stated, both have the awesome 58/15 LT's and so have more in common than my next 22 fret guitar - My PRS 509. My 509 also has the longest scale length of my guitars at 25.25" and it also has the most 'different' looking Pick-ups too. Its my least played guitar as well - not because its 'bad', just because its my most 'different' guitar.

BJ3Om6e.jpg

Finally, this brings me to my one and only 24 fret guitar - my Custom 24. I love the top on this and its my favourite aesthetically of the 4.

vbFJx28.jpg

Its a typical Core Custom 24 and, like my 509, has the trem bridge. I don't really need the extra 2 notes that a 24 fret guitar offers as I don't tend to play that far up the neck. To me, this sounds more modern than my other guitars. My 509 perhaps looks more modern with its distinctive PU's but the combination of the 85/15's as well as the neck humbucker position does give the Cu24 a more modern vibe to me. Maybe its a bit of rose tinted specs and the fact that the Cu24 to me is the PRS - the guitar that I most associate with and have wanted for many, many years.

Also, by showing all the tops this way, you can see the primary difference between each - including how much closer the Neck PU is to the bridge. The rest of the necks and Head stocks all look the same and its only the 'owl' and where the neck joins the body that is most important to this discussion. Looking at all of these, it may highlight the fact that there are more 22 Fret guitars, more variation between each 22 fret model, all competing where as the Custom 24 is really only competing with its self.

I think every PRS owner should have a Custom 24 where as they don't necessarily need a Custom 22 because they may own any of the other 22 fret models PRS offer...

I like those a lot Mozi! Love seeing pics of your matching set.

Thank you :)

That top is just what I would want in a PS if I ever manage to put an order in.

I see that you have a favorite color. :D

That top isn't even a 10-top. I personally don't care about having a 10-top (or better), just as long as it has decent coverage of flame/quilt. The mix of thin and thick lines compared to a lot of even and thin lines as a lot of 10-tops seem to be, is more appealing and gives a top its unique characteristics. In some ways, I think some (not all) 10tops tend to lose some of that character. My HBii actually looks better (in my opinion) than the picture as it has a lot more of the natural grain detailing showing. The others at least give a good impression of their pattern and, as all pics, look better in reality, but this is a step above those.

And yes, Fire Burst Red guitars is certainly a favourite of mine....

If we are sharing pictures...

This is my '22 fret' go to solid body guitar - my PRS 594. There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about the fantastic 594 - its modern day classic, feels great to play and the PU's are amazing - lots of clarity! No wonder John Mayer was so full of praise...

8sNcZH1.jpg

However, I also have a my PRS Hollowbody II with Piezo and a one Piece Maple top/back. I love this 22 fret guitar!! It has the same PU's as my 594 but the 'Hollowbody' tones - the Piezo adds a beautiful chime to it too.

iRJZWZk.jpg

Both of these are Fixed bridge and as stated, both have the awesome 58/15 LT's and so have more in common than my next 22 fret guitar - My PRS 509. My 509 also has the longest scale length of my guitars at 25.25" and it also has the most 'different' looking Pick-ups too. Its my least played guitar as well - not because its 'bad', just because its my most 'different' guitar.

BJ3Om6e.jpg

Finally, this brings me to my one and only 24 fret guitar - my Custom 24. I love the top on this and its my favourite aesthetically of the 4.

vbFJx28.jpg

Its a typical Core Custom 24 and, like my 509, has the trem bridge. I don't really need the extra 2 notes that a 24 fret guitar offers as I don't tend to play that far up the neck. To me, this sounds more modern than my other guitars. My 509 perhaps looks more modern with its distinctive PU's but the combination of the 85/15's as well as the neck humbucker position does give the Cu24 a more modern vibe to me. Maybe its a bit of rose tinted specs and the fact that the Cu24 to me is the PRS - the guitar that I most associate with and have wanted for many, many years.

Also, by showing all the tops this way, you can see the primary difference between each - including how much closer the Neck PU is to the bridge. The rest of the necks and Head stocks all look the same and its only the 'owl' and where the neck joins the body that is most important to this discussion. Looking at all of these, it may highlight the fact that there are more 22 Fret guitars, more variation between each 22 fret model, all competing where as the Custom 24 is really only competing with its self.

I think every PRS owner should have a Custom 24 where as they don't necessarily need a Custom 22 because they may own any of the other 22 fret models PRS offer...
Guessing you really like red??? Those really looks gorgeous btw.

The mix of thin and thick lines compared to a lot of even and thin lines as a lot of 10-tops seem to be, is more appealing and gives a top its unique characteristics.

Exactly, that and the angle of the single piece is what appeals to me.

Back