Why do some PRS SE not have signature on Headstock? (2015 C24 Floyd)

DatGat

Its a 2015 according to the seral.

Custom 24 Floyd Tobacco Burst.

Why do some not have the PRS signature on the head stock?

Instead of Custom on the truss rod, its just a black truss rod, then Custom is written on the headstock along with SE, where you normally see the PRS signature.

Quite odd to me, I own a CE but Im not a huge PRS owner but curious about this one. They asking ~$600USD. They are about $1200USD new for the black/grey burst model. We dont have a lot sold locally as a small country. Ive checked the serial, should I be worried? Ive just not seen a non signature headstock before. Maybe they lost the original truss rod cover.

Here is an example of what they look like, except the one Im looking at has a blank black trus rod cover;
original.jpg

Its a 2015 according to the seral.

Custom 24 Floyd Tobacco Burst.

Why do some not have the PRS signature on the head stock?

Instead of Custom on the truss rod, its just a black truss rod, then Custom is written on the headstock along with SE, where you normally see the PRS signature.

Quite odd to me, I own a CE but Im not a huge PRS owner but curious about this one. They asking ~$600USD. They are about $1200USD new for the black/grey burst model. We dont have a lot sold locally as a small country. Ive checked the serial, should I be worried? Ive just not seen a non signature headstock before. Maybe they lost the original truss rod cover.

Here is an example of what they look like, except the one Im looking at has a blank black trus rod cover;
original.jpg

That was standard for that era of SE's. Anything before 2017 won't have the Signature on the Headstock as they only swapped to that style in 2017. Therefore if you want to find an SE with the Signature, you'll need to look for 2017+ SE's or accept the 'older' style of Headstock decal of older models...

That's normal. The older SE guitars didn't have the signatures. They are also solid guitars too...I used to own a SE floyd years back and the headstock was labeled just like that one.

No worries you are good.
Thanks.

What are the thoughts on replacing the original decal with a s signature? That "Custom SE" looks naff to me, possibly also put a "Custom" Truss rod cover on it? I know probably goes against the grain but it looks terrible that head stock.

Are there any 12" radius PRS gats?

I wish they would offer non bird inlays, its a bit old man'ish, my Torero has dots and I love that.

I reckon they need to look at the market and improve the pickups given what you get for your $ these days.

I love them for the non shred guitar. But a 12-16" compound radius with some high end seymour duncans as standard around $1k would be good.

That was standard for that era of SE's. Anything before 2017 won't have the Signature on the Headstock as they only swapped to that style in 2017. Therefore if you want to find an SE with the Signature, you'll need to look for 2017+ SE's or accept the 'older' style of Headstock decal of older models...
Cheers. I have a CE with a different HS and and older EMG FR model that is different again.

This one looks pretty blah imo, was thinking maybe taking the "Custom" off and puttng the Signature on and use the "Custom" truss rod cover.

Cheers. I have a CE with a different HS and and older EMG FR model that is different again.

This one looks pretty blah imo, was thinking maybe taking the "Custom" off and puttng the Signature on and use the "Custom" truss rod cover.
SE Headstock covers are different to US made models so you'll need to find a specific SE version to fit.

That headstock is standard and messing around with it risks messing it up and devaluing the guitar - it will look 'fake' for a start and anyone who knows PRS, will know that its not the 'right' headstock look for that era. Choice is yours of course.

They still do make the SE Custom 24 Floyd As shown here and you get the newer headstock decals as well as the 'newer' SE body carves instead of flat tops which brings them 'closer' in aesthetics to the Cores - which I assume is the reason you prefer the Signature. Newer ones are made in Indonesia in a factory that ONLY makes PRS SE guitars. They source, dry and prepare all the woods to PRS specific requirements - unlike in Korea where they made guitars from a 'universal' wood pile, making guitars for all brands in the same place etc. These staff are trained by PRS and ONLY make PRS guitars to improve the build quality and consistency. Not saying the older SE's are great too, but I do think they have gone up another level in more recent years in my opinion...

The floyd uses a different cover all together because of the string guide posts on the other side of the nut.

I have a 30th floyd and it's an excellent guitar by every measure. I even called the guy I bought it from the next day to thank him. It was the guitar that got me hooked on PRS. Now, it's far from stock and honestly wouldn't trade it for anything else floyd short of core. It rocks!

You can change the headstock decal by using a veneer and script logo. There's posts on here that go into more detail.

the 'newer' SE body carves instead of flat tops which brings them 'closer' in aesthetics to the Cores
I didnt realise the 2015 SE Floyd was a flat top body. I actually prefer that look though. However that model you linked to I also like, if only I could get a neck for my hand and get rid of the bird inlays ;-p. But yeah, the carved top on the "Charcoal Burst" model does look sweet.

Not too..... concerned about devaluing a PRS, they devalue a lot anyway. I think its the "Custom" hand written font on the headstock I think looks really bad. Definitely when they changed the SE Floyd to the signature and put "Custom" on the truss rod cover it looked less hack and as you say the body shape.

Last edited:
600 bucks for an SE Floyd……..I would hit that without hesitation.
that is converted currency, but it is exactly 50% of the new price. I plan to use it for a mod platform. Its just a 2015 SE though. But if that is a good deal I will grab it. Im not concerned about devaluing it further by changing HS, I figure they cant devalue too much further haha, unless you are new to working with gats of course.

If I come across an SE Zach Myers body Im considering putting a Schaller Lockmeister in it. That would be the perfect guitar for me. I love single F holes, and clearly I like dbl lock trems, probably put a Black Winter in the bridge and a Fralin HBP90 in the neck. But I need to know how much the solid block width is as to whether it would accomodate a Floyd/Schaller trem, if anybody knows the internals of the single F hole SE I would appreciate that.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about all this, just buy a Core.
I did say I already have one ;-p. Plus Im not a PRS fan as such, I like them not love them kind of deal. I just have other needs ie Ash body, 43mm nut 19-21mm 1st-12th 12-16" contour neck rolled FB, Seymour Dunc pups, and a Floyd of course. I could get PRS custom, but I can get all that off the shelf for $800.

Plus I build my own gats when I am not working or am allowed in the shed. Lately Ive been modding more, things that you just cant buy off the shelf. Alhough that is becoming slim. Im seeing HSS single cuts with Floyds lol, when I say single cut I mean bolt on neck single ie tele style.

So I try to save my serious money for investibles that I also like a lot.

I have a 30th floyd and it's an excellent guitar by every measure. I even called the guy I bought it from the next day to thank him. It was the guitar that got me hooked on PRS. Now, it's far from stock and honestly wouldn't trade it for anything else floyd short of core. It rocks!
That sounds like a beauty, you got some pics? What mods you done? Does the 3 way selector right below the trem between the knobs annoy you, just a little? most people I speak to say its a stupid design even though they like their guitars bahaha.

Why would anyone worry about modding a PRS? Now if it were a collectible LP Gold Top, thats where I draw the line haha.

What are my chances of getting a 12" radius neck from PRS and slightly wider than normal model?

I proudly rock the big SE logo.

I’m also of the opinion that the SE logo-ed guitars from WMI are the “better” guitars. YMMV
And why wouldnt you !

I have no issues with the SE part, its the "Custom", it really devalues the guitar imo, the signature was a much classier move. Have a look at the image closely, you will see the Custom looks handwritten. having bird inlays on a guitars is bad enough. I wonder if they had an industrial designer in the Korea SE models or if Paul just said, oh that looks good as somebody overlayed something in word on the screen haha ;-p

I let the SE Floyd go, somebody else bought it. I feel a bit gutted but something just didnt feel right.

There is a SE Custom 24 for sale it is about $500usd. Is that a good price?

Back