Who has an SE and Core of the same breed?

GoBeavs68

Hi Guys, long time reader first time poster and need some wise advice.

I have a SE Akesson that I love and has converted me wholly. I'm now seeking to break my PRS cherry and go full on USA, but would like some advice.

Narrowed my search down to Tremonti II, SC250 and (here's the messy part) SC245. Looking used btw.

The Tremonti is the most different in scale, maple neck, trem, and neck type. The SC is, well, almost the same as the Akesson except for the fretboard. The SC250 lies between the two.

Does anyone have an SE and a US of the same breed and find it beneficial or does it feel redundant? Past and present experience on all models would be appreciated.

Let's see, I' have a SE Cu24 and a couple core Cu24's. I have a Bernie Marsden SC and a couple core SC's. I have a SE Soapy and I not longer have the McSoapy but I did have them both at the same time and so I can compare those. Here's a comparison:

Cu24's - The core versions are significantly better. Enough that they are worth the extra money. It wasn't really close.

SC's - The SE BM is different enough that they feel and sound different. I'm glad I have both levels.

Soapy's - The SE was a better guitar. I compared the two and sold the McSoapy! Might have just been the individual guitar and not a true test of all McCarty with soapbars, but the SE just had a better tone.

My advice is pick the new Core model that appeals to you as the best guitar of the three, and don't worry about that you already have. You'll be happy with it.

I had an SE CU24 and currently have a Core CU24. As AP515 said, the Core is certainly better on every point. Keep in mind that the SE was/still is a 2005 and the Core is 1991. I would say that the price difference between the two is well justified. I do have to say that the SE was a very nice guitar and probably one of the best in its market range.

I still have a SE Singlecut with Dragon II pickups and an SE Tremonti Custom with Tremonti pickups. Both are great guitars and I'd love to try the Core versions (haven't had the chance yet).

Quite honestly, the three models that you are looking at would be a nice compliment to what you have. I had an SE 245 and it was/is an incredible guitar.....I can only imagine that the Core would be even better but how I don't know.

I have Custom 24s in both, but can't really offer you any advice. I think it depends on the model. I have a pre-S2 core Mira and Starla, and I suspect the S2s are pretty close.

The plot has thickened. Have a family friend selling his 2007 (or 2008) SC245 (regular pups not 57/08) for 1200.

I've played this axe many a time and it is nice to say the least. To me this sounds like a descent deal. What do you guys think? It's no tremonti but I think worthy of a cherry popper.

The other choice is a Tremonti tobacco 10 top listed at 2300 but might be had for 2k with some effort.

Live vicariously through me guys! What would you do?!?

Let's see, I' have a SE Cu24 and a couple core Cu24's. I have a Bernie Marsden SC and a couple core SC's. I have a SE Soapy and I not longer have the McSoapy but I did have them both at the same time and so I can compare those. Here's a comparison:

Cu24's - The core versions are significantly better. Enough that they are worth the extra money. It wasn't really close.

SC's - The SE BM is different enough that they feel and sound different. I'm glad I have both levels.

Soapy's - The SE was a better guitar. I compared the two and sold the McSoapy! Might have just been the individual guitar and not a true test of all McCarty with soapbars, but the SE just had a better tone.

My advice is pick the new Core model that appeals to you as the best guitar of the three, and don't worry about that you already have. You'll be happy with it.

Totally agree with you on the SC245. The cores I've played sound nothing like my akesson, including the one I'm after. Great rundown thank you for sharing!

I had an SE CU24 and currently have a Core CU24. As AP515 said, the Core is certainly better on every point. Keep in mind that the SE was/still is a 2005 and the Core is 1991. I would say that the price difference between the two is well justified. I do have to say that the SE was a very nice guitar and probably one of the best in its market range.

I still have a SE Singlecut with Dragon II pickups and an SE Tremonti Custom with Tremonti pickups. Both are great guitars and I'd love to try the Core versions (haven't had the chance yet).

Quite honestly, the three models that you are looking at would be a nice compliment to what you have. I had an SE 245 and it was/is an incredible guitar.....I can only imagine that the Core would be even better but how I don't know.

I've thought about slapping Tremonti pups in the akesson as it's a super dark and would balance well with those screaming tremontis.

I have a 2007 SC245, I replaced the original pups with 57/08's. And I have several SE's. IMO, there is big difference between the SE and Core guitars. FWIW, I would buy the SC245, replace the pups and you will not be disappointed. For 1200, that would be a steal. GOOD LUCK !!! Be sure to show some pics when you get, whatever you decide.

Last edited:
The plot has thickened. Have a family friend selling his 2007 (or 2008) SC245 (regular pups not 57/08) for 1200.

I've played this axe many a time and it is nice to say the least. To me this sounds like a descent deal. What do you guys think? It's no tremonti but I think worthy of a cherry popper.

The other choice is a Tremonti tobacco 10 top listed at 2300 but might be had for 2k with some effort.

Sometimes it takes more than a spec sheet. Which one is talking to ya?

At $1200 for the SC245 I would jump if I enjoyed playing on it and liked the pickups (although that is to taste....really depends on how it sounds unplugged as well).

The Tremonti at $2300 sounds like a very good deal as well. Different neck shape than the SC245 though.

As for me, if I liked both and couldn't make up my mind then I would just figure out how to come up with the $3500 to buy both (can't go wrong there!)

After a pizza and few IPAs, this happened. Without further ado, here she is, my plane jane, solid black cherry popper:
photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

And for just 1000 bucks! I'm stoked!

Back