Which SE and S2 models to search for used?

thefsb

I've been trying to figure out which discontinued models meet these criteria:
  • 22 frets
  • 1 11/16" nut width
  • Double cut
  • Standard size humbucker pickups
  • No birds
Can you suggest some models I could search for on the used market?

With some careful shopping and patience, you'd find an older CE22 that would fit what you want, be close to the cost of a used S2, and be a lot more guitar.

Not quite sure what the budget is, but if you're going the S2 route, I HIGHLY recommend trying to sniff out a 10th Anniversary S2 Custom 24 or 594. Literally a Core guitar at half the price.

My favorite? S2 Standard 22.
According to the specs I could find, both of those have the narrower neck: pattern regular, 1 21/32" wide at the nut. Otherwise they are indeed quite appealing. I have a Santana SE (the old one with the oblique inlays) and that's as narrow as I'll go. I'd rather go a bit wider but that would end up going down the Warmoth Road.

Not quite sure what the budget is, but if you're going the S2 route, I HIGHLY recommend trying to sniff out a 10th Anniversary S2 Custom 24 or 594. Literally a Core guitar at half the price.
Very nice indeed except for that thing that sets off my dread fear: The Birds. I can't look at them without hearing Oscar Sala's Trautonium sound fx and the screams of the schoolkids. PRS makes great guitars but I can't have those birds near me.

With some careful shopping and patience, you'd find an older CE22 that would fit what you want, be close to the cost of a used S2, and be a lot more guitar.
Older Ce22 Std22 (core and S2), and SAS are all winners.
Interesting! CE22 had pattern thin neck which is 1 11/16" wide at the nut, right? (I'm not sure where to look to confirm specs.)

Reverb came up with a model called PRS CE-22 Mahogany Stoptail 1995 - 2001 that checks all the boxes. I guess it's not hard to change one of the knobs for a toggle switch.

Interesting! CE22 had pattern thin neck which is 1 11/16" wide at the nut, right? (I'm not sure where to look to confirm specs.)

I guess it's not hard to change one of the knobs for a toggle switch.
You can swap the rotary with a toggle. It came both ways from the factory.

Thanks everyone. I wouldn't have thought of the old CE22 and SAS without your input.

Back