Which pickups is 2008 Custom 24

NBW

Are they decent? Also how does the five way rotary work? I've never considered a "vintage" custom before. I really have my eye on a 2016 prototype with the 24-08 switching, but tis may be a deal too good to pass up. Would that vintage have a pattern thin neck?

he 2008 Cu24 could have a "regular" neck or a "Wide/Thin" (think pattern thin) neck. Both feel fairly thin to me but the W/T was by far the most used so it's likely it will have a W/T. The rotary switch is a love/hate thing for many. I love it but I don't do a lot of fast switching while playing so I may not be the best example if you do. The 5 way rotary gives you one setting that the other switching cannot. I love my 2006.
Wouldn't change a thing.

The ad doesn’t have much detail and the photos are crap. It certainly doesn’t have 57/08s. Is there somewhere I can check the serial number?

A stock 2008 would have had the HFS/Vintage pickup set. The Vintage neck pickup is warm and generally well thought of. The HFS is an acronym for Hot Fat Screams. It's about 15K, and therefore a powerful pickup. Most think it's a good modern pickup but of course there are many others who don't care for the compressed modern tone.

Love the old rotary...try it for a while...5 positions...Really great HB tones (I really like the HFS), and great "in-between" SC tones in positions 2 and 4.

Sadly it's getting out of my price range.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273873284157

It seems to be a pretty good find. It looks from the headstock annotations that it is a 10 top. But if I'm going to end up spending $1200, which is where the auction will close (at minimum) I'm going to get just what I want. At $800 I would have gone at it. But someone's figured this out.

It ended up going for around $1500. Oh well. Someday a 24-08 will come my way, maybe in black gold.

Last edited:
That's actually slightly low for a Custom 24. Still I agree with you, get the one you want instead of the one that is available. You'll be happier in the long run.

Back