Which pickup position do you gravitate to?

jamjam1

Are you spending most of your time on the neck, the bridge, middle or on the split coil positions?

Or do you equally move around all of them depending on what you're playing.

Mostly curious about cu24 players, but would like to hear how you're playing...

I tend to play the neck with a coil tap for clean also with a little OD grit, but then move to the bridge in full humbucker for the heavier grittiness. I do sometimes sit in position 2 utilizing the bridge HM and neck coil tap with a fair amount of grit. I don't usually touch the mini toggles.

Most of my guitars have separate volume controls. On those, I am all over the place with blends and combos of coil splits, etc. On my "regular" guitars with one volume/tone (and the like) it depends on the desired tone. I will specifically tweak the amp to match the pickup setting I am using. The ONLY exception to that is with my strat. That guitar gets treated like a strat (whatever that means).

Bridge 95% as well...I have 6 S2s and replaced just the bridge pups on 4 of them....I bought one used with BK pups in the bridge and neck and I do quite like the neck pup on that guitar though....play mostly hard rock...

Constantly changing it up and adjusting knobs. Depends on waaay too many factors. Guitar and mood always an influence too. I like all positions usable tools for the job.

Nothing beats the sweet tone of a good neck pickup and the rauch from a good bridge ready to get nasty. Middle is probably my least used except on 4 knob guitars and/or with a push pull.

Neck pick-up most of the time. Particularly on a Strat. That said I’ll constantly flick back between neck and bridge during a solo depending on how I want to articulate a note or phrase.

Middle position on a Strat (to my ears) is great for rhythm and I love the sound of middle / bridge for more funky stuff. Less so middle/neck.

Rarely use the middle position of a two humbucker guitar.

70% bridge humbucker. 30% neck single coil. 0.00001% other, just to remind myself that combining pickups is frippery.

If I get a custom Strat built one day, it probably won't have a bridge pickup. Just to drive the point home, its only control would be a volume knob with a push-pull switch to add the "middle" pickup to the neck pickup once in a while.

70% bridge humbucker. 30% neck single coil. 0.00001% other, just to remind myself that combining pickups is frippery.

If I get a custom Strat built one day, it probably won't have a bridge pickup. Just to drive the point home, its only control would be a volume knob with a push-pull switch to add the "middle" pickup to the neck pickup once in a while.
In the last couple of strats, I had them rewired with megaswitch, so the bridge position had the bridge and neck pickup in series. Kinda HB, with a dedicated tone wired as a focus control (tighter, controlabe lows). All other 5 positions stock. Kinda HSS but on singles only. I will have to drop this mod here someday. If I ever end up with a strat again, I will do the mod on the first day. I had it switchable with the S1 switch on my first strat, but I never had it flipped to stock, so I never bothered after.

Back