Which one (guitar) next?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by matonanjin, Jun 12, 2019.

1. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

Roger that! :)

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Either that or until the first used PS comes along.

WA Paul likes this.
  3. WA Paul

I did see one used, but weight was nearly 10lbs! Price was right too :(

4. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Except Clapton didn't use a block of wood, only decked with the claw screws tightened completely, despite the fact that many of his sig models came with a block of wood. o_O

Besides, PRS vibratos work superbly, no trouble at all, much better than any Strat ever. ;)

bodia likes this.
  5. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

You saw a used gold leaf one?

6. WA Paul

It was over a year ago, was only up for sale for like a week.

7. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

You guys just had to do it, didn't you? You couldn't just leave me slightly confused where I was when I posted yesterday. You had to add just a couple more suggestions to thoroughly confuse me!.:)
    bodia, that SSH is really interesting and has to be very versatile with the 3 pickups, including the single coil in the middle. . I didn't know such a thing existed. Surprisingly, CME does not have one in inventory. I did find a few on Reverb. I'm not quite sure why it would be overkill. The Redwood Limited is probably still the frontrunner but I am considering thes other options.

Mozzi, my HB I does not have a piezo. I thought about an HB II but thought it would just be a duplication of my HB I. I didn't think about the piezo or 594 HB.

7ish pounds? I thought about a DGT and will do so some more.

@dogrocketp, you have been helpful in my PRS guitar shopping practically since my first one. I always value your input. I never really considered an S2. But I think I am going to stick with a Core product. BTW, i now have NYXL 9's on everything except my Gibson 325, which has 10's.

Do you really think there is just a "Traditional Trinity"? Don't you think that ignores one of the most important contributors/members, the Gibson 335? BB King and Eric Clapton from early Cream days would, I think, approve there should be a Traditional Quadrality of guitars:
    -Tele
    -Strat
    -Les Paul
    and
    -Gibson 335

Justin Sandercoe (Justin Guitar) just had an interesting article in February Guitar Techniques magazine about this topic. Other than acoustic these are the guitars he feels one needs. After these a high output thin neck like an Ibanez and then a jazz guitar like an ES-175.

I've got the "spank" of the Strat covered. I've got the LP ""growl" covered with the Paul's. I thought that I would have the "full tone" of the 335 covered with my 325 but I have never been able to get the tone I want out of the mini-humbuckers. But this is really digressing. I do have the 335 covered with my HB I. I don't have the even spankier spank of the Tele covered. But I'm not sure I need that. I know Robben Ford and Mike Zito and others have brought the Tele to prominence in the blues. But I'm not sure that is what I'm going to be looking for, at least not now. Maybe down the road.

Beautiful guitar. Which Gen III Trem guitar is that?

LSchefman and WA Paul like this.
  8. WA Paul

My PS P245 Trem

LSchefman likes this.
  9. Iceman101

Iceman101 There's always room for one more.....

Dude, go for the Redwood. Great guitar, ltd edition and it has wings :cool:

LSchefman and bodia like this.
  10. BWV548

BWV548 Custom Title

I think the lesson here is that there’s not a bad recommendation in the the bunch, hence you’re probably not any better off than when you started. But hey, that’s part of the joy of the process

LSchefman and bodia like this.
  11. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

Dude! You keep doing this! It's like dragging steak in front of hungry dogs! :)

12. WA Paul

Imma proud papa, er, owner? :)

LSchefman, bodia and Tucson Thump like this.
  13. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

I don't find my 2 PRS guitars that have a Trem to be any real issue at all. They function well and don't really affect the tuning stability either - although I must admit I am not doing massive Dive bombs or holding onto the Whammy Bar and shaking my guitar up and down as Nita Strauss does with her signature model Ibanez. I don't own a Floyd (by choice) at all - although if I did, I bet it would be a PRS Cu24 Floyd.

@matonanjin The Hollowbody ii - at least the most recent versions (mine is a 2018) come with the same 58/15 LT's as the 594 whether the 594 is sold, semi hollow or hollow but unlike the Hollowbody I, it also has a carved Maple back (like the front). Considering you have a Paul's guitar (and a Strat), the Paul's guitar is 'similar to the 594 in that you have a double humbucker fixed bridge guitar that can independently switch between a full humbucker or Split coil sound. Its why I wasn't so ready to recommend a 594. At least with the HBii, you can blend in the Piezo or send the Piezo separately to a Full range Amp and the magnetic PU's to a regular amp at the same time if you want. It does give you a more Acoustic option that you don't have and I love blending it in to add a bit of sparkle to the tone myself. Obviously with a bad back, the weight of these is perfect.

It does depend though as to whether the Piezo is something that you can utilise - it maybe that you may not use it enough to warrant adding it to your collection BUT maybe something that you could trade your HBi for to add that functionality - more of a swap to get the Piezo rather than just buying a new guitar for just that extra functionality.

The Special 22 Semi-Hollow is something unique and 'relatively' light weight thanks to being semi-hollow. The one thing that it perhaps lacks for you is the ability to use just the Narrowfield on its own - like selecting the middle PU on your Strat if you use that. However you do get to use the neck and bridge humbuckers with the Narrowfield which both can be split. Obviously its not quite a Strat but more its own thing - its more like a Custom 22 with added functionality of the individual splits, the addition of the Narrowfield and the semi-hollow body to keep the weight down a bit but that also means you have a Trem - similar style to a Strat.

It was the weight thing that made me recommend these. You have something that could add a Piezo and something that has a lot of versatility - both are relatively light.

LSchefman likes this.
  14. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

I'm not "Dude" but thanks for the recommendation. The Redwood remains at the head of the list and I'll be surprised if it's not the one I end up with.

So true.
    I facetiously mentioned earlier that I am even more confused. There is is some truth to that but I am, at the same time, better prepared to make a decision. There have been some suggestions I hadn't even thought of. As a result I actually am better off.

Mozzi, thank you for your very thoughtful, informative response. Very, very helpful. I hope you realize how much I appreciate it.

15. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

You're right, it wouldn't be overkill. I was just thinking of the mini-toggles and the similarity in splits with your Paul's. But, that NF middle pick up is a game changer. Definitely would not be overkill.

I'll leave you something else to chew on; my Cu22 SSH Ltd made the cut. The Redwood Ltd did not. Great guitar. For sure. But, just not as versatile.

LSchefman likes this.
  16. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Oh No! I just found my local guitar store has the Special Semi-Hollow in inventory that has been discussed. I really didn't expect that when CME doesn't have one. And it's beautiful.
    I suspect that what will soon be known as the Schefman principle may come into effect here.

17. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Uh oh. Better go check that out.

veinbuster likes this.
  18. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Wow, that’s just beautiful!

The Schefman principle, huh? Hmmm...has kind of a nice ring to it.

Alnus Rubra, bodia and veinbuster like this.
  19. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

That is sweet!
    Did you get it home yet?

Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  20. BWV548

BWV548 Custom Title

It’s a fantastic guitar. I have one and love it, even if it does have a trem. ;)