Which one (guitar) next?

matonanjin

Meaning which guitar is best going to fill, or would, any void that I may have in my stable? And I fully realize that, since I'm never going to play anywhere besides my office, I should just buy what feels right. But if you were me and looking to get your next guitar that makes sense from a needs basis, what would you do?

My two current PRS guitars are:
  1. 2013 Pauls artist's package and 10-top. It is Mahogany body and neck and maple cap and the Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard. the 408 pickups.
  2. 2009 Hollowbody I . Very possibly my favorite guitar.
My non-PRS guitars are a Fender Strat Standard with Fat 50’s . and a Gibson 325 . The 325 is a like a 335 except it’s a true hollowbody (not semi) and it has mini-humbuckers rather than humbuckers.

The most important consideration to me is weight. Due to back issues and resultant 3 spinal surgeries, if I can play standing for any length of time at all, it is for a very short period.

And the only music I want to play at all is blues or some blues/rock.

The one thing I don’t have in my two PRS guitars is a tremolo. But how important is that? On the rare occasion I might need it I could grab my Strat?

@bodia and @sergiodeblanc know a guitar that I have been looking at. And, shockingly, it is still available. A gorgeous Custom 24 with a Redwood top that is light (7 ½ lbs.). But no tremolo. This thing plays beautifully and I should have bought it and still may. But I'm overthinking this and worried there is something else I need more. (Hence the thread).

As far as cost, I don’t want to go Private Stock, but a typical Core is the range I’d like to stay in. The Redwood top Custom 24, above, I think is priced at $3900. That fits the budget.

I have the Strat so don’t think I want to go Silver Sky route.

I guess my question distills down to if I were to make my next PRS selection based on needs and logic rather than emotion what would you recommend knowing what you now know? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Of course, I would start with Santana, but I already know that you're not a fan of the neck shape. So......

I really want to tell you that you need a Cu22 SSH-LTD, but that may be overkill since it would fall squarely in between your Paul's (pick up switching) and the Hollowbody (Semi-Hollow). Although, it does have the middle Narrowfield pickup, and a trem. It is really close to being my favorite guitar. The slew of different sounds you can get out of it make it amazing.

The one you mention above is a stellar guitar, and a great piece of Limited Run PRS history. You really can't go wrong with that guitar. The price is great, too.

The 594 should also be something on your radar. Lots of classic blues and blues rock tones in that model. Although, no trem.

Perhaps the big gap is a Piezo - unless your HBi has one. Therefore I would recommend the Hollowbody ii. Apart from the obvious weight benefits and Piezo, the new HBii's come with the same Pick-ups as the 594 but without the ability to split them. Depending on what you want more - a Piezo or coil split- you could also consider the 594 Hollowbody. The 594 can also be found in a semi-hollow too. All of these, at least 'new', all come with the 58/15 LT's and have a classic/vintage vibe - all fixed bridge though (if that matters)

In the semi-hollow range, the PRS Special 22 has a LOT of versatility. The narrowfield can be used with either the neck or bridge humbuckers and these humbuckers can be split too. With out counting those options, you also have the same selection options as the Paul's but with a different flavour. This does come with a trem too and being a semi-hollow, tends to come in at ~7.5lbs. This is such a versatile instrument with lots of pickup selection options for tonal variety all in one instrument. There is some similarity with the selection options to your Paul's so it shouldn't be too unfamiliar - the difference is the trem and 5-way where positions 2 and 4 add the Narrowfield. Obviously the Pick-ups are different to the Pauls too.

Unless you are looking at CE's too, the rest (I think) are all solid body guitars and maybe a bit too similar to the Paul's - unless you look at the P24 a Custom 24 with a Piezo which would add something more than just a trem. I know they have different PU's and the Cu24 has less separation between the PU's as well as 24 frets but I think these may be a bit too close to the Paul's with a trem bridge instead

If I was in your position, I think I would be torn between adding a Piezo or going for the versatility and uniqueness that the PRS Special Semi-Hollow offers. What will be the best to buy first, the one that can give me something I need or would likely need in the near future. That though is your decision...

I’m gonna add a recommendation for that CU22 Special Semi. It just seems like the kind of thing you would enjoy, and it would be different enough to justify, but still bring the vibe you like.

The semi-hollow and trem combination is a unique thing. I have it on my S2 CU22, and there’s not much like it. It has the resonance and depth of a semi-hollow guitar, more bass and open mids and a more relaxed and less aggressive note attack than a solid body. But on the other hand, it also sounds more like the PRS violin type tone than a stoptail or TOM style bridge, which to me those almost sound like an acoustic guitar. And, of course, the semi hollow thing will be nicer to your back.

Everybody, thanks for the responses and suggestions. I know I can always count on good advice from this forum. I should have enough here already to get myself confused. Seriously, lots to digest. @BWV548 that 594 SH is nothing if not breathtaking. GAWD!!!!

What’s your weight limit?

I would think a DGT would be perfect for your style of music.

I’m going house band tonight to a blues open mike. Here’s the shocker..........it’ll be an S2 Studio with a 2 channel 20. It’s a little fatter sounding than your Strat. Yes, I am shamelessly addicted to my tremolo guitars, and this one is spanky, especially with NYXL 9’s. It’s also well under 7 pounds. The weight on these does vary considerably.

Trems are more trouble than they are worth. Deck the Strat trem, or block it like Eric Clapton approves.

The Traditional Trinity of guitars:
-Tele
-Strat
-Les Paul

I think you are skirting the Tele. The closest PRS option for that is the S2 Vela. Or just get a Tele, they do make semi-hollow to take more weight out.

Mods I do to a Tele is add a 4-way switch and on a Strat I add a way to put pickups in series -- both to cover LP tones. The LP I mod to get more single coil tones with coil splits and so on.

Trems are more trouble than they are worth. Deck the Strat trem, or block it like Eric Clapton approves.

-Tele
-Strat
-Les Paul

I think you are skirting the Tele. The closest PRS option for that is the S2 Vela. Or just get a Tele, they do make semi-hollow to take more weight out.

Mods I do to a Tele is add a 4-way switch and on a Strat I add a way to put pickups in series -- both to cover LP tones. The LP I mod to get more single coil tones with coil splits and so on.

My guitar with Gen III PRS Trem disagrees with your trem comment :D
220-B16-C1-080-A-47-DD-ABBE-10-DC80359908.jpg

So does my ME I SCT (Gen II)
38_C3_A97_D-8_F60-4_CE4-83_DD-6_CD00665743_B.jpg

I like my stop tails too, but the trems aren’t hard to live with. Floyd Rose trems are a different story for me...:)

-Tele
-Strat
-Les Paul

My guitar with Gen III PRS Trem disagrees with your trem comment :D
220-B16-C1-080-A-47-DD-ABBE-10-DC80359908.jpg

So does my ME I SCT (Gen II)
38_C3_A97_D-8_F60-4_CE4-83_DD-6_CD00665743_B.jpg

I like my stop tails too, but the trems aren’t hard to live with. Floyd Rose trems are a different story for me...:)

All of my PRS equipped trems disagree as well.

I would recommend all of my recent :)

CU22 Special Semi Hollow
Silver Sky
S2 Vela ( or the S2 Studio looks like fun )

another one on the list should be CU24/08 and possibilities the Semi Hollow CE24

What’s your weight limit?

I would think a DGT would be perfect for your style of music.

+1

No tone overlap with what you have, cool in its own right, plus trem.

However...

At least for me, being rational about choosing an instrument is about the same as being logical about who you’re gonna fall in love with. It’s unpredictable. The rationalization only comes after-the-fact.

Last edited:
Back