Which one (guitar) next?

Oh No! I just found my local guitar store has the Special Semi-Hollow in inventory that has been discussed. I really didn't expect that when CME doesn't have one. And it's beautiful.
I suspect that what will soon be known as the Schefman principle may come into effect here.

Ha! No chance!!!!!!!!!

Hey, did you go check out the SSH??????

So I did go Saturday and played the SSH and it is sooo sweet! Plays unbelievably smoothly and it is GORGEOUS! I have some health issues that started acting up and I wasn't there very long. I told him I would be back. Which I did yesterday. And the jerk sold it! He sold it without checking with me! The jerk sold it just so he could increase his store revenues instead of let me play it again! :mad::rolleyes:

The one I was looking at was $3800. He just got another one in which is possibly even more beautiful. It's a reddish finish, not Orange Tiger. Not Scarlett Red but close. But it is $4,400. I dunno. I'm going back again tomorrow or Saturday.

Last edited:
Sorry about the health issue! Hope things are better now!

We already know you’ll end up with another awesome guitar :)

My next guitar would be a Custom 22 with an HFS in the bridge and a 57/08 in the neck with McCarty electronics.

So I did go Saturday and played the SSH and it is sooo sweet! Plays unbelievably smoothly and it is GORGEOUS! I have some health issues that started acting up and I wasn't there very long. I told him I would be back. Which I did yesterday. And the jerk sold it! He sold it without checking with me! The jerk sold it just so he could increase his store revenues instead of let me play it again! :mad::rolleyes:

The one I was looking at was $3800. He just got another one in which is possibly even more beautiful. It's a reddish finish, not Orange Tiger. Not Scarlett Red but close. But it is $4,400. I dunno. I'm going back again tomorrow or Saturday.

That sucks! Both the health issue and the guitar getting sold. Really glad to hear you liked it though.

He does now has the new one listed on his website and it is "Blood orange". I like the other one and really like playing it. But I like this finish more than the yellow. Actually McCarty Sunburst. What do you think?

If I can't get back tomorrow it will be next week. He is closed Sundays and Mondays.

He does now has the new one listed on his website and it is "Blood orange". I like the other one and really like playing it. But I like this finish more than the yellow. Actually McCarty Sunburst. What do you think?

If I can't get back tomorrow it will be next week. He is closed Sundays and Mondays.

I'd call him and tell him you're going to buy it, and to hold it!

I must admit, that is a nice looking guitar and quite like the Blood Orange colour scheme (although I would prefer more of a burst style)

If its something that you WILL buy, Offering to pay a 'deposit' with the intention to pay the balance in full when you can get there (Tuesday??) should ensure that the Guitar will be held, taken off the site (or at the very least listed as 'reserved').

Personally, I feel secure and confident to buy PRS online and not played or inspected by myself. I refer to 'brand new' PRS guitars rather than used as there is no damage, everything is stock and wired by PRS (some used guitars may have been modded and the returned to stock for selling - not wired by PRS or a 'competent' person) etc. They are so consistent and any 'small' difference between the tones are the small differences you expect from the use of natural materials and not 'different' enough to worry about whether this is the one. Another reason I am not concerned about anything and feel comfortable to buy PRS purely on the aesthetics - not something I can say about other brands that vary so much in both build quality and tonal variation - finding the one does require hands on to hear and inspect them and the 'colour' you want may not be the best one.

If this is the colour you want, then I would say buy it - especially having tried a similar one so you know how it feels to play. If you aren't as confident as me to order without trying that exact one first, then put (or at least offer to put) a deposit down to ensure that this guitar isn't sold before you can get there. In my experience of buying online, I can honestly say that Paul is true to his word that when you get one, its 'perfect' out of the case (maybe a slight tweak of the tuning at most), good enough to go up on stage and play straight away. That's not 'just' the set-up, but the fit and finish, the build quality and stability of the instrument.

I have never heard of anyone having any 'major' issue with a US built guitar out of the case and in general, the SE's too although some are not always satisfied with the cosmetics of a SE. With most retailers taking pictures of the actual guitar they have (generally all guitars of a certain price point or more), you can at least see the guitar before buying, zoom in etc.

I know pretty much what my 'new' guitar, a PRS Special 22 like this one - just a non-10top and in Charcoal Cherry Burst, looks like and its weight too. I know how the neck should feel having a PRS with same neck carve in my collection so I was happy to order online and haven't yet held it, plugged it in to an amp or played a single note on it at all. I have heard numerous sound clips from others that have reviewed and played the same model and so have a good idea of what to expect. That is 'enough' for me to order online, coupled with previous experience of buying PRS online, secure in the knowledge that, unless something drastic goes wrong from the courier's handling, on Tuesday I will have an amazing instrument in my collection.

I can't and won't tell you how to spend your money and all I am saying is that in my experience, buying a PRS online is not going to leave you with a 'dud' or have some issues that other PRS guitars don't have. You have actually tried one and that experience is enough to know what 'other' ones in the same range/model (not wood library or Private Stock) will offer. If you find another one in a colour you prefer but out of your range geographically, I would still say its safe to buy without having to travel to the shop and play it in person. If you phone up, you maybe able to negotiate a better price too..

Good luck in you search and I hope you find what you are looking for....

Back