Which Amp to get for my Custom 24

heresairh

Recently I acquired a left handed Custom 24, 2012 model with 10 top, 59 09 pick ups etc. I've been using a Blackstar HT5R but don't really like it. Any suggestions for a 15watt tube amp?

Tough call, not a lot of lefty amps out there.

:)

As Les said, let us know what you like to play, and what your budget is. I had a Tweaker head that I really liked, shouldn't have sold it. Also really dig the Blues Jr. if you're not trying to get too heavy. The PRS SE amps and Egnater amps are all on crazy discount at GC's nationwide, I'm talking solid state prices, definitely good deals to be had if you hurry! I love my SE30 stack, sounds like the 20 combo might fit you nicely. Those are just some budget minded suggestions.

Historically I've played Vox Ac15s and Fender Blackfaces. HT5R is a fairly recent purchase when I had my Les Pauls. I recently
moved so I had to get rid of a bunch of my gear, trimming down my collection to absolute necessities.

I can spend up to $700.

Btw, I hardly ever gig, I'm more of an enthusiast. I've tried an egnater 15w head which was pretty nice, but not Fender / Vox nice.

Has anyone tried the AC15 with their PRS?

The PRS SE amps are incredible. The clean channel is awesome!

SE amps look like they've been discontinued. At least, they're not on the PRS product page anymore. Also, they only go down to 20 watts. There's the Sweet 16 from the core line, but it's well over twice the OP's budget.

Historically I've played Vox Ac15s and Fender Blackfaces. HT5R is a fairly recent purchase when I had my Les Pauls. I recently
moved so I had to get rid of a bunch of my gear, trimming down my collection to absolute necessities.

I can spend up to $700.

Btw, I hardly ever gig, I'm more of an enthusiast. I've tried an egnater 15w head which was pretty nice, but not Fender / Vox nice.

Has anyone tried the AC15 with their PRS?

I plugged a Custom 24 with 59/09s into an AC30 Custom last week. Got a pretty good crunch out of it but I had to crank the channel volume all the way up and turn down the master to get there, so there was nowhere to go if I wanted to kick it up a notch... sort of a Spinal Tap problem; found myself wishing I could take it to 11.

I bought a Marshall SL5 on clearance, and I love the hell out of it, but it doesn't sound like snarling midrange overdrive is really your thing. It does have a pretty nice warm clean tone. Maybe you'd like the DSL15c?

I've been checking out the DSL15C. It sounds delicious, but, it sucks not to have reverb on tap. This means I will have to invest into a good reverb pedal. The market is very limited for off the shelf standard 15watt amps.

Under your budget is the Tweaker 15
I highly recommend trying EL34s in it also

The DSL15C has reverb built in. It's the DSL15H that doesn't.

If you can, try a Tweaker head and some different cabs too, I had a Tweaker head with a non-Egnater cab and it sounded amazing, then I grabbed a Tweaker 40 combo and the combination of the small box and G12H did not rub me the right way at all. 15 heads are going for about 280 right now, so you could get a decent cab with what's left over. If you don't mind a two piece amp that is - the tone of a stand alone cabinet can really make an amp shine.

If you can, try a Tweaker head and some different cabs too, I had a Tweaker head with a non-Egnater cab and it sounded amazing, then I grabbed a Tweaker 40 combo and the combination of the small box and G12H did not rub me the right way at all. 15 heads are going for about 280 right now, so you could get a decent cab with what's left over. If you don't mind a two piece amp that is - the tone of a stand alone cabinet can really make an amp shine.

Which cabs did you try it with?

I've been enjoying my 2 Channel "H" quite a lot lately. The new ZM SE sounds great through that one and all my 5X/XX equipped PRSi really shine with that amp...

Tough call, not a lot of lefty amps out there.

Sorry I did not mean to ignore the joke. If that was the case, I would not be playing guitar. I'd be a percussionist instead. Specifically a tabla player.

A lone triangle ding pierces the air...

Haha. I tried it with my deep 2x12 PRS cab which was nice, but honestly, the cab I used it with most was a 1x12 Epi Valve jr cab... I know, I know. But for some reason it just hot the spot with that amp, the speaker in it was specifically made to let the amp character shine through, so when you're using an amp that's trying to emulate Fender, Vox, and Marshall, it helps to have a flexible speaker. So really, anything that's fairly generic would be a good choice.

Here's a clip of that setup with my band... not a great stand alone tone sample, (and an admittedly corny song to cover) but it might give you an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're the first person who I've read writing anything negative about the BlackStar HT-5. What was the problem with it?

I have the Blackstar HT5R too, but I also now have the ID 30 combo, and the ID 60 watt head.
Even though they are both solid state, I prefer them over the HT5R, they are awesome sounding.
When I get my Zach Myers, I will play it through the 60 watt one with 4x12s with a video in my NGD future thread.

Back