What year SE 245 to buy?

akabek

I am considering buying a SE 245. There is a used one local to me from 2014 so it does not have adjustable saddles on the bridge. This would mean upgrading the tuners to locking as well as the bridge. I am in Canada so if I look at the MannMade bridge, which is not in stock, it will probably cost around $300 once I take into consideration shipping and the exchange rate. Would I be better off with a current model that has the fully adjustable bridge?

Why upgrade? Unless you need quick-change string capability for stage work, the stock tuners and nut (instead of replacement, a good dressing works perfectly) are fine for around the house. The bridge just doesn’t need replacing, period, IMO. Try it as-is first, then decide if you need the “upgrades”.

The reason for this thread is to understand what others have done. The bridge on the older model does not have adjustable saddles so intonation adjustment would be limited. If the older models are good enough than your right why upgrade. If I buy used and the upgrade parts bring me close to the price of a new guitar I mind as well buy new.

If the upgrades are important to you, then wait to find a newer model with the upgrades that comes in the newer model. If you think the seller is extremely flexible in price, and you can factor in the upgrades and still be well below a New 245 then it makes sense.

I’m also in Canada if you check out the sellers from Quebec on Reverb, they are very reasonable with shipping and discounts between 10-15 percent off MSRP.

I live in Ontario, and it was easier and less expensive to purchase New 2020 models, than any local dealers in fact most of the Used gear was the same price as brand new.

Do you need the upgrades? Or do you want them?

Only you can decide.

Good Luck!

I am in Newmarket, ON so not far from you. A few months back I bought a used core Custom 24 from a dealer in Quebec which I first spotted on Reverb. I ended up buying it direct through their website at a lower price and they were excellent to deal with. Within the last month I bought a used 2013 PRS SE Standard acoustic from a US seller and once I paid shipping, Fedex charges and the exchange rate it quickly became an expensive purchase so I am hesitant to buy from the US for the time being.

My question about upgrades is about necessity vs want. I see guys are replacing standard tuners with locking tuners but I have no clue whether it is really necessary. If those with experience using standard PRS tuners say they hold the strings in tune than I don't need locking tuners. The bridge on older models only allow you to adjust string height and not intonation. If the original bridge keeps the intonation in range than there is no need to upgrade it. Having said that I would think having the ability to adjust the saddles would be a necessity for intonation but it would not be the first time I was wrong.

Back to your point about buying used. Locally the cheapest SE 245 is from 2014 (no saddle adjustment) with an asking price of $700. A new one is just over $1000 tax in. If the bridge and locking tuners are not necessary as the original parts will hold tune I would buy used. If I need to upgrade the bridge to setup the intonation, again necessity, on a used guitar and I consider shipping, courier charges and 30% exchange I am in the ball park of new guitar pricing. If this is the case I would rather wait for a newer used model or just buy a new guitar with the adjustable bridge.

The SE non-adjustable bridge is fine. Hell, they use it on a ton of the core guitars. They do have intonation screws on the back of the bridge to movE it closer to, or farther from, the bridge studs. I always do locking tuners cuz I’m lazy. The nut would be the other to do. The Core nut is a direct drop in.

I don't have any experience with that bridge but the tuners themselves are pretty solid. And I'm lazy, like Bodia, which is why I have lockers. The original tuners are pretty solid though.

I am in Newmarket, ON so not far from you. A few months back I bought a used core Custom 24 from a dealer in Quebec which I first spotted on Reverb. I ended up buying it direct through their website at a lower price and they were excellent to deal with. Within the last month I bought a used 2013 PRS SE Standard acoustic from a US seller and once I paid shipping, Fedex charges and the exchange rate it quickly became an expensive purchase so I am hesitant to buy from the US for the time being.

My question about upgrades is about necessity vs want. I see guys are replacing standard tuners with locking tuners but I have no clue whether it is really necessary. If those with experience using standard PRS tuners say they hold the strings in tune than I don't need locking tuners. The bridge on older models only allow you to adjust string height and not intonation. If the original bridge keeps the intonation in range than there is no need to upgrade it. Having said that I would think having the ability to adjust the saddles would be a necessity for intonation but it would not be the first time I was wrong.

Back to your point about buying used. Locally the cheapest SE 245 is from 2014 (no saddle adjustment) with an asking price of $700. A new one is just over $1000 tax in. If the bridge and locking tuners are not necessary as the original parts will hold tune I would buy used. If I need to upgrade the bridge to setup the intonation, again necessity, on a used guitar and I consider shipping, courier charges and 30% exchange I am in the ball park of new guitar pricing. If this is the case I would rather wait for a newer used model or just buy a new guitar with the adjustable bridge.

I feel your pain, I actually went through the same thought process when I purchased mine. I purchased a new Santana SE Double Cut and paid 35.00 for next day delivery from Quebec and the second was an SE Hollowbody II and paid nothing for shipping a gain next day delivery.

While there are PRS 245’s and others out in the wild, the used market is pretty scarce and overly priced compared to new. I ended buying both new because the used market made no sense to me. I wanted the new features, I didn’t need them lol.
My next purchase will be the 245 Single Cut or the Santana SC Trem.

After years of being less than thrilled with High end Fender and Gibson’s, I’ve been thrilled by the playability and vale that the SE lineup provides out of the box.

And yes you can get a better deal direct rather than through Reverb. Reverb does allow you to find the dealers and then talk to them directly. Reverb charges 5% to the seller or the store can pay you instead lol..

I just noticed they use the same bridge on some core models. I didn't realize they had intonation screws. Good to know. Thanks for the feedback. I need to drop into a store and play around with one to see how they feel.

I feel your pain, I actually went through the same thought process when I purchased mine. I purchased a new Santana SE Double Cut and paid 35.00 for next day delivery from Quebec and the second was an SE Hollowbody II and paid nothing for shipping a gain next day delivery.

While there are PRS 245’s and others out in the wild, the used market is pretty scarce and overly priced compared to new. I ended buying both new because the used market made no sense to me. I wanted the new features, I didn’t need them lol.
My next purchase will be the 245 Single Cut or the Santana SC Trem.

After years of being less than thrilled with High end Fender and Gibson’s, I’ve been thrilled by the playability and vale that the SE lineup provides out of the box.

And yes you can get a better deal direct rather than through Reverb. Reverb does allow you to find the dealers and then talk to them directly. Reverb charges 5% to the sell er or the store can pay you instead lol..

I have to agree the used market is pricey right now making new more appealing. I also recently bought a new Fender Strat Elite on sale and saved a few hundred on it making used not an option.

I am looking for a Les Paul style guitar now but when I owned a Gibson LP Custom many years ago I never found the neck comfortable. Recently some of the Epiphone Les Paul guitars have caught my eye but they have a similar feel to a Gibson neck so I started looking at what PRS offered leading me to the 245. What I would like is the sound of a LP but a more comfortable neck for me.

Dave's has some really nice looking used SE 245's including a '20 model at a good price.

Dave's has some really nice looking used SE 245's including a '20 model at a good price.

Dave’s has a lot of New and used PRS models at fantastic prices. Sadly the wildcard for the OP and myself is we live in Canada.

Dave’s shipping calculator does show Canada as an option, however, when you try to calculate the shipping it returns with no Options available, Try a different address..

I’ve seen glowing reports about Dave’s, to the point where I actually emailed last week from their “Contact US” page. Even with exchange and shipping the price is still very attractive. Unfortunately, it looks like their Contact US page Is not being monitored, or they’re just ignoring me.

if I lived in the US Dave’s, would be an easy choice.

In Canada, there aren’t’ too many independent stores left. Even before Covid, we got a major chain that provides access and service to the major brands. They offer a low price guarantee, but with little competition they rarely have to sell for less than MSRP.

I also understand Dave’s Probably cannot ship to Canada based on Dealer agreements with “New” but think they should be able to do whatever they want with used.

I’d look at the 2014 long and hard. The tuners should be fine, the bridge will definitely be fine, and the one I had was a rock monster. Unfortunately, I’m sonically addicted to the 25” scale and replaced mine with an SE Singlecut. The 245 I had was a 2014 and I don’t think I could do better on a 24.5 scale.

I am considering buying a SE 245. There is a used one local to me from 2014 so it does not have adjustable saddles on the bridge. This would mean upgrading the tuners to locking as well as the bridge. I am in Canada so if I look at the MannMade bridge, which is not in stock, it will probably cost around $300 once I take into consideration shipping and the exchange rate. Would I be better off with a current model that has the fully adjustable bridge?
Unless you are going for strings lighter than 008 or heavier than 011, or a wound G, or use non-standard tuning, then the old non-adjustable ‘lightning bolt’ bridge is just ideal as-is. You can get intonation as good as you’ll need it, it’s comfortable, and it’s simple and robust.
I’ve not bothered changing to locking tuners but there’s a lot more to be gained by making that mod than changing the bridge, imho.

I dropped into a local music store and tried out the SE 245. The neck has a similar feel to a Gibson LP which I do not find comfortable. I have a 2018 core Custom 24 and the neck feels great to me. Which model single cut should I look at with a thinner neck with pickups similar to a Les Paul?

I dropped into a local music store and tried out the SE 245. The neck has a similar feel to a Gibson LP which I do not find comfortable. I have a 2018 core Custom 24 and the neck feels great to me. Which model single cut should I look at with a thinner neck with pickups similar to a Les Paul?
Tremonti would have a Wide Thin neck.

So today I went back to the shop and ended up taking home the SE Tremonti Custom. The neck has a similar feel to my CU24 which I find comfortable. I may upgrade to locking tuners. I see some upgrade to core Tremonti pickups. How do they differ to the SE Tremonti pickups?

So today I went back to the shop and ended up taking home the SE Tremonti Custom. The neck has a similar feel to my CU24 which I find comfortable. I may upgrade to locking tuners. I see some upgrade to core Tremonti pickups. How do they differ to the SE Tremonti pickups?
Sweet! Congrats!

Back