What year did PRS switch from stamped to painted 10-top designation on Headstock?

Permanent Waves

I'm trying to narrow down when did PRS change the 10-top designation on the back of the Custom Headstocks from a stamp to a painted 10. I searched this forum as well as Google images, and I know most 94's are stamped and most 96's are painted. I'll assume 1995 is the year of the change (like many other changes).

We're trying to identify a 1994 Custom 24 as a 10-top or not from grainy pictures and the stamp is hard to see. Some say it should be painted, but I think the change was done later. Also, bonus question, were there a lot of Custom 24 from those years that had birds but no 10-top? I always tend to see these features as going hand-in-hand. You rarely seem to see one without the other.

As you say, the transition from stamped to written "10" designation started around the time they switched factories in 1994 - 1995.
But if you have a picture of the bridge pickup cavity it should have a 10 written there. If it doesn't, it probably is a normal top.
It could have birds and be a normal top, but some of those normal tops are really nice. Sometimes nicer than designated 10 tops.
If you like the top, fine. That's all it matters...

Here are some examples from a 1994 model with a black back and a 1989 model with a mahogany neck.

prs-custom22-10top-blackcherry-1994-cons-head-rear.jpg

Screen_shot_2015-02-09_at_1.21.17_PM_2048x.png

Back