What strings come on a 2018 SE Custom 24 Floyd?

PHILBERT

Whatever they are, I like them! And can't find the answer to this searching the web.

I've been waiting a long time for a Floyd Rose on a PRS Custom, and quite frankly gave up waiting for it years ago. So when I happened across an SE Custom Floyd (with exclusive bright white binding around the neck and headstock...sharp look!) at GC a couple of months ago, I jumped on it. Great crunchy tone after proper pickup height adjustments with shades of Les Paul, Strat (tone rolled back a bit), Tele and other tonal goodness. Not a bad sound to be had. Liked it so much I bought another (non-exclusive) one from another dealer with red flame. Almost exactly the same tone, although the red one looks a tad thicker and has a slightly chunkier neck. Both extremely well-made with a tight feel and incredibly low action. Nice rosewood boards too. Love em'! I digress....

SO, I burned out the strings on the black quilt top one and put my usual Elixer 9's on it, which I have been using on all my trem guitars for eons, and use Elixer 10's on all my non-trem guitars with great satisfaction. I immediately noticed the wound strings looked thinner, AND THE BODY OF THE TONE DROPPED OUT. Played them hard for a week and still no change to the tone...no body...just bright. I went on the hunt for a better "coated" string set. Research led me to Ernie Ball Paradigm strings, and I have to say I liked them very much, as they are tough strings (strong inner steel) with balanced tone, but my "control unit SE Custom 24 Floyd" (the red one) with original strings still has more body to the tone. So if D' Addario makes strings for PRS, that should work...right? I use coated strings for long life, and get years out of a set I play occasionally with the Elixirs (sometimes many years), so DA EXP coated 9's is the obvious choice, right? Nope! The EXP 9's are still thinner and the wound strings went dull in one day! They came closer to the original strings, but not close enough. The hunt continues.

So what should I do now? If I could buy the SAME EXACT STRINGS that came with my guitars, I would. I think they might be 9.5's. That would explain why they look (and feel) a bit thicker. The 85/15 pickups are crunchy bright, and I like that, but without the warmth of string body behind those pickups, it's unbalanced. Does PRS make coated strings? I'm about to try an Elixir 9 1/2 set, but they cheat by using the next gauge up on the low end...and don't use in-between sizes like PRS specs out. Elixir 10's are good tone, and last forever, but 10's on a Floyd Rose are too tight. To be honest, the EB Paradigm strings sound better. If they made (real) 9.5 strings, I'd use them. And if they lasted as long as Elixir's, I'd use the Paradigm 10's on all my non-trem guitars.

Phil

The are almost guaranteed to be D'Adario 9-42s. That has been the standard string set for SE from day 1 of that line up (excepting obvious exceptions, like Baritones, Torero, and non-obvious, like the Bernie Marsden).

http://prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

Whatever they are, I like them! And can't find the answer to this searching the web.

I've been waiting a long time for a Floyd Rose on a PRS Custom, and quite frankly gave up waiting for it years ago. So when I happened across an SE Custom Floyd (with exclusive bright white binding around the neck and headstock...sharp look!) at GC a couple of months ago, I jumped on it. Great crunchy tone after proper pickup height adjustments with shades of Les Paul, Strat (tone rolled back a bit), Tele and other tonal goodness. Not a bad sound to be had. Liked it so much I bought another (non-exclusive) one from another dealer with red flame. Almost exactly the same tone, although the red one looks a tad thicker and has a slightly chunkier neck. Both extremely well-made with a tight feel and incredibly low action. Nice rosewood boards too. Love em'! I digress....

SO, I burned out the strings on the black quilt top one and put my usual Elixer 9's on it, which I have been using on all my trem guitars for eons, and use Elixer 10's on all my non-trem guitars with great satisfaction. I immediately noticed the wound strings looked thinner, AND THE BODY OF THE TONE DROPPED OUT. Played them hard for a week and still no change to the tone...no body...just bright. I went on the hunt for a better "coated" string set. Research led me to Ernie Ball Paradigm strings, and I have to say I liked them very much, as they are tough strings (strong inner steel) with balanced tone, but my "control unit SE Custom 24 Floyd" (the red one) with original strings still has more body to the tone. So if D' Addario makes strings for PRS, that should work...right? I use coated strings for long life, and get years out of a set I play occasionally with the Elixirs (sometimes many years), so DA EXP coated 9's is the obvious choice, right? Nope! The EXP 9's are still thinner and the wound strings went dull in one day! They came closer to the original strings, but not close enough. The hunt continues.

So what should I do now? If I could buy the SAME EXACT STRINGS that came with my guitars, I would. I think they might be 9.5's. That would explain why they look (and feel) a bit thicker. The 85/15 pickups are crunchy bright, and I like that, but without the warmth of string body behind those pickups, it's unbalanced. Does PRS make coated strings? I'm about to try an Elixir 9 1/2 set, but they cheat by using the next gauge up on the low end...and don't use in-between sizes like PRS specs out. Elixir 10's are good tone, and last forever, but 10's on a Floyd Rose are too tight. To be honest, the EB Paradigm strings sound better. If they made (real) 9.5 strings, I'd use them. And if they lasted as long as Elixir's, I'd use the Paradigm 10's on all my non-trem guitars.

Phil

If memory serves, the SE's come with 9s. They are PRS strings, which are rebranded D'Addario. You can buy them here:

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/strings

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum

If memory serves, the SE's come with 9s. They are PRS strings, which are rebranded D'Addario. You can buy them here:

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/strings

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I have D'Addrio EXP 9-42 on one guitar, and the original strings on the other. They are not the same size. I'm looking at them now, and the original strings (new guitar in the box from PRS) are a bit bigger.

So...What can I do here? I want to try the Paradigm hybrid 9-46 set, but my local store doesn't have em' in stock at the moment. I have a new set of Exlixr Optiweb 10's and a set of new Optiweb 9's here. Took the "dead after a day" D'Addario EXP 9's off and made my own hybrid Elixir 9-46 set. What the heck...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG AND BOLD....CRUNCHY AND CRUSHING....GREAT BALANCE AND SUSTAIN...MASSIVE...PERFECT!

And I know these last forever, as I have used them for years. I found my perfect string set for this model guitar. What a difference it makes to increase the wound string size. Really gave this guitar guts. Massive full sound. Yes, I had to do a full Floyd Rose and truss rod setup. No big deal. Also had to tweak the pickup height again, but it was worth it. Besides, these strings are so clear that the pickup sweet spots are easy to locate. You know it instantly when you are in the zone. Now I have my EVERYTHING guitar again. Very convincing Strat neck tone, great Strat "Blackmore" bridge tone (with tone rolled back a bit), Great Tele tone that could fool anyone, Classic old Les Paul tone, modern gain Les Paul tone, 80's metal tone...and wide open edgy modern metal tone. Many more I didn't even mention. I LOVE these guitars! Time to jam out!

Phil

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I have D'Addrio EXP 9-42 on one guitar, and the original strings on the other. They are not the same size. I'm looking at them now, and the original strings (new guitar in the box from PRS) are a bit bigger.

So...What can I do here? I want to try the Paradigm hybrid 9-46 set, but my local store doesn't have em' in stock at the moment. I have a new set of Exlixr Optiweb 10's and a set of new Optiweb 9's here. Took the "dead after a day" D'Addario EXP 9's off and made my own hybrid Elixir 9-46 set. What the heck...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG AND BOLD....CRUNCHY AND CRUSHING....GREAT BALANCE AND SUSTAIN...MASSIVE...PERFECT!

And I know these last forever, as I have used them for years. I found my perfect string set for this model guitar. What a difference it makes to increase the wound string size. Really gave this guitar guts. Massive full sound. Yes, I had to do a full Floyd Rose and truss rod setup. No big deal. Also had to tweak the pickup height again, but it was worth it. Besides, these strings are so clear that the pickup sweet spots are easy to locate. You know it instantly when you are in the zone. Now I have my EVERYTHING guitar again. Very convincing Strat neck tone, great Strat "Blackmore" bridge tone (with tone rolled back a bit), Great Tele tone that could fool anyone, Classic old Les Paul tone, modern gain Les Paul tone, 80's metal tone...and wide open edgy modern metal tone. Many more I didn't even mention. I LOVE these guitars! Time to jam out!

Phil

Nice! I'm a big fan of the Optiweb strings as well!

Nice! I'm a big fan of the Optiweb strings as well!

Yeah, they're good strings. The life on them can't be beat, but you gotta have tone. ;-)

Anyone looking to increase the body of the tone on an SE Custom 24 Floyd without losing the crunch, these nail it. Add the 4th spring on the bass side and adjust the two screws to level the tailpiece. Might need a little truss rod tightening, but not much. The guitar now sounds 10x bigger.

Phil

FYI - Put the Paradigm 9-46 set on my other SE Custom 24 Floyd a couple of days ago and they are a bit harsh and squeaky. Good for a "raw" tone, but the 9-46 Nanoweb Elixir's were a slam dunk right from day one. They have more definition and soul to the tone. Still very crunchy, but not raw sounding. Out of all the long-life coated strings, Elixir strings win!

Phil

Back