What pickups in lieu of 57/08's?

I'm a big fan of the 57/08 pickups. In that vein I really like the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups. I find them to be a similar sound.
Interesting. I have a set of Seth Lovers in an SE singlecut. Single conductors, though, so no coil splitting. The Seth's and the Fralins both sound great, but different. Totally different guitars, of course too.

I love the 57/08s. Everyone's taste is a little different, but I figured I'd put in my two cents.
That will be my first choice. Not because other pickups aren't as good neccesarily but because it's a core McCarty I'd be putting them in.

Not for naught, but if you're looking at a used set of 57/08 pickups for $300, it would definitely be worth looking at some offerings from Bare Knuckle Pickups. I have a set of Abraxas pickups in my S2 Semi Hollow and they're fantastic. If you want a more vintage sounding set, the Stormy Mondays that I've played in a couple of Les Pauls sound outstanding. If you want something a little hotter, the Miracle Mans are also outstanding and give the vibe of an active pickup without the need to re-wire the guitar and install a battery bus somewhere.

I'm a big fan of the 57/08 pickups. In that vein I really like the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups. I find them to be a similar sound.
The Duncan Seth Lovers are alnico II but the DCR is lower: 7.4K neck and 8.25K bridge.

According to the spec sheet I have, the PRS 57/08 set has a 8.5K neck and 9.4K bridge.

So the 57/08 set should have higher output...even though DCR is not a measurement of output. It's a measurement of resistance and the more copper wire wound around the pickup bobbin the higher the resistance.

Anyway, 8.5K and 9.4K is a pretty hot wind for a set of 1957 humbuckers, but maybe Paul found a pair like that and based the 57/08's on them.

The truth is that the DCR of old pafs varies and there are some 7.5K pafs and some 9K pafs. But Gibson would have made no effort to calibrate them and use the hotter of the two as the bridge pickup. They might have even done the opposite!

I like that the neck pickup in the 57/08 set is strong and that the bridge pickup is wound stronger.

50's guitars with paf pickups usually have a problem with the neck pickup overpowering the bridge pickup because they're usually both wound to about 8K and the location of the neck pickup makes it louder.

Most modern takes on a paf set tend to underwind the neck pickup to achieve a volume balance between the two pickups but that changes the sound of the neck pickup, it loses some of its balls, and it's not the familiar sound of a neck pickup in a 50's paf set.

I like the 8K neck pickup in the Dragon I set. And the 8K neck pickup in the Suhr SSV and SSH+ set.

More balls and actually a more accurate take on the sound of the neck pickup in a real 50's set.

I've been using a 8.2K Duncan 59B bridge pickup as the NECK pickup in my PRS with the hot JB bridge pickup.

Sounds like an old pickup...especially with a roughcast alnico 2, 4 or 5 magnet replacing the polished A5 that comes with it.

Last edited:
The Duncan Seth Lovers are alnico II but the DCR is lower: 7.4K neck and 8.25K bridge.

According to the spec sheet I have, the PRS 57/08 set has a 8.5K neck and 9.4K bridge.

So the 57/08 set should have higher output...even though DCR is not a measurement of output. It's a measurement of resistance and the more copper wire wound around the pickup bobbin the higher the resistance.

Anyway, 8.5K and 9.4K is a pretty hot wind for a set of 1957 humbuckers, but maybe Paul found a pair like that and based the 57/08's on them.

The truth is that the DCR of old pafs varies and there are some 7.5K pafs and some 9K pafs. But Gibson would have made no effort to calibrate them and use the hotter of the two as the bridge pickup. They might have even done the opposite!

I like that the neck pickup in the 57/08 set is strong and that the bridge pickup is wound stronger.

50's guitars with paf pickups usually have a problem with the neck pickup overpowering the bridge pickup because they're usually both wound to about 8K and the location of the neck pickup makes it louder.

Most modern takes on a paf set tend to underwind the neck pickup to achieve a volume balance between the two pickups but that changes the sound of the neck pickup, it loses some of its balls, and it's not the familiar sound of a neck pickup in a 50's paf set.

I like the 8K neck pickup in the Dragon I set. And the 8K neck pickup in the Suhr SSV and SSH+ set.

More balls and actually a more accurate take on the sound of the neck pickup in a real 50's set.

I've been using a 8.2K Duncan 59B bridge pickup as the NECK pickup in my PRS with the hot JB bridge pickup.

Sounds like an old pickup...especially with a roughcast alnico 2, 4 or 5 magnet replacing the polished A5 that comes with it.

It's pretty interesting that you have all this pickup info at your fingertips; obviously you've made a study of it, and it's great you can share it.

I know what I like - I just don't know why I like it!

Perhaps you know the answer to this one - I don't.

I know I prefer the alnico magnets in speakers and pickups. I know there are several different types. But I don't know why alnico magnets and ceramic magnets sound different, and I don't know a thing about the different types of alnico and why someone would select one over another.

Since you probably do know, can you explain it?

Last edited:
It's pretty interesting that you have all this pickup info at your fingertips; obviously you've made a study of it, and it's great you can share it.

I know what I like - I just don't know why I like it!

Perhaps you know the answer to this one - I don't.

I know I prefer the alnico magnets in speakers and pickups. I know there are several different types. But I don't know why alnico magnets and ceramic magnets sound different, and I don't know a thing about the different types of alnico and why someone would select one over another.

Since you probably do know, can you explain it?
The most common magnets used in humbuckers and P90's are alnico 2, 3, 4 and 5. There's also alnico 8 which is stronger than the others and some people like it in a "distortion" pickup. Ceramic is also powerful and ofter used in "distortion" pickups...like the Dragon I bridge and Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Alnico 3 is the weakest. Alnico 2 is stronger. Alnico 4 stronger still. Alnico 5 the strongest of the commonly used alnico magnets.

Alnico 5 in a humbucker gives a bright tone with strong bass and good mids. Some would say less mids than bass and treble, and they might call it's response "scooped". But it really isn't. It sounds normal.

Alnico 2 in a humbucker gives a spongier feel to the guitar. It almost compresses the sound when you dig in and shape your notes with your fingers or pick. The bass is looser and there's less of it than with alnico 5. Alnico 5 is brighter. Alnico 2 seems to have more mids and they're kind of plucky and chewy.

Alnico 4 seems right between A2 and A5. Higher in output than A2, more bass and tighter bass, prominant chewy compressible mids, bright treble but maybe not as much as alnico 5. A4 has less bass than A5 but more bass and more solid bass than A2.

Alnico 3 being the weakest sounds best, IMO, in a neck humbucker. It gets a clearish, pleasenr tone. Not great for overdriven soloing but great for cleaner tones.

Magnets for humbuckers and P90's are the same and can be had with a rough surface or a polished surface. The long edges that contact the polepieces inside the pickup are always polished. But the flat 1/2" surface can be either polished or roughcast.

Usually I prefer roughcast and if you have a pickup that's too bright or sizzley switching to a roughcast magnet can help.

There ya go. That's about all I know. YMMV and all that.

The most common magnets used in humbuckers and P90's are alnico 2, 3, 4 and 5. There's also alnico 8 which is stronger than the others and some people like it in a "distortion" pickup. Ceramic is also powerful and ofter used in "distortion" pickups...like the Dragon I bridge and Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Alnico 3 is the weakest. Alnico 2 is stronger. Alnico 4 stronger still. Alnico 5 the strongest of the commonly used alnico magnets.

Alnico 5 in a humbucker gives a bright tone with strong bass and good mids. Some would say less mids than bass and treble, and they might call it's response "scooped". But it really isn't. It sounds normal.

Alnico 2 in a humbucker gives a spongier feel to the guitar. It almost compresses the sound when you dig in and shape your notes with your fingers or pick. The bass is looser and there's less of it than with alnico 5. Alnico 5 is brighter. Alnico 2 seems to have more mids and they're kind of plucky and chewy.

Alnico 4 seems right between A2 and A5. Higher in output than A2, more bass and tighter bass, prominant chewy compressible mids, bright treble but maybe not as much as alnico 5. A4 has less bass than A5 but more bass and more solid bass than A2.

Alnico 3 being the weakest sounds best, IMO, in a neck humbucker. It gets a clearish, pleasenr tone. Not great for overdriven soloing but great for cleaner tones.

Magnets for humbuckers and P90's are the same and can be had with a rough surface or a polished surface. The long edges that contact the polepieces inside the pickup are always polished. But the flat 1/2" surface can be either polished or roughcast.

Usually I prefer roughcast and if you have a pickup that's too bright or sizzley switching to a roughcast magnet can help.

There ya go. That's about all I know. YMMV and all that.
Thanks! Great explanation.

Just scored a mint set of 57/08's for $299+10 for shipping. Might be a while before I put them in as these Fralin P90's are sounding so dang good this morning as I practice!

Just scored a mint set of 57/08's for $299+10 for shipping. Might be a while before I put them in as these Fralin P90's are sounding so dang good this morning as I practice!
I use a Frailin p90 in the neck with a wolfetone DrV in the bridge of my SG. Sounds killer! I personally feel the DrV is similar to the 5708.

I use a Frailin p90 in the neck with a wolfetone DrV in the bridge of my SG. Sounds killer! I personally feel the DrV is similar to the 5708.
Sounds like a great combination. Had to look up the Dr. V. Turns out they're made about 10 miles from where I live! Also T.V. Jones is about 10 miles away in the opposite direction. I'm surrounded by great pickup winders!

Sounds like a great combination. Had to look up the Dr. V. Turns out they're made about 10 miles from where I live! Also T.V. Jones is about 10 miles away in the opposite direction. I'm surrounded by great pickup winders!
Wolfe at wolfetone rocks.. great guy, service, and product. Check him out. You can't go wrong.

I'd like to try some Wolfetones. Been thinking of the Mean and Meaner set of P90's to put in my SE Soapbar.
I put a set of those in a P-90 Rivolta guitar I have…they are tremendous sounding and have very little hum (interestingly enough) and of course none when both are on together , and I play with a fair amount of gain for many solos with the band

Dang...that's quite an endorsement!

They sounded really good on the Doug and Pat Show.

The other P90's I liked a lot were from Canada. Sanford Magnetics.
Who doesn’t like Doug and Pat? They’re fun to watch.

There are other pickup makers in the vintage replica PAF market. Throbak, Monty’s…

Back