What pickups in lieu of 57/08's?

Torvald

Just wondering, since my recently acquired McCarty has Fralin HBSP90's instead of the original McCarty pickups. They sound great but at some point I might like to experiment with a set of humbuckers, since I've got a modded guitar already and the push/pull is still there. I've seen a used set of 57/08's for $300 on Reverb and that might be the most logical thing to do, but Seymour Duncan has a lot of sets that sell new for less than that new. Maybe the obvious thing would be to ask Seymour Duncan himself. I've seen McCarty's for sale with SD's where the seller claims it was a big improvement. Any suggestions or thoughts?

It would be hard to imagine much room for "improvement" over the stock 57/08 pickups in my McCarty. However, in your case where you already don't have those pickups, I think the SD Alnico II Pro humbuckers would get you very close to the 57/08 for a little less cash. (Plus you'll have to opportunity to choose them in whatever color or cover-style you prefer--whereas the PRS ones will generally only be with nickel covers.)

I'd go for a set of the 57/08's.

I haven't tried them, but that's the next set I'd like to try. If you can find a used set for $300 grab them.

I do like Duncan Antiquitys. I have a couple of SE Singlecuts and have a covered set of Antiquitys in one and a set that's uncovered in the other.

A hot, lively sound that's great for British Blues. Bluesbreakers, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, etc.

Last edited:
Personally, I’ve never liked a set of Duncans or Dimarzios better than the 57/08. I’ve always regretted it when I tried to save a few bucks.

I have been happy with pickups from the Duncan Custom Shop, which is where the Antiquitys are made.

And I've been happy with the sounds of a lot of regular Duncans, like the 59, JB and Pearly Gates.

The regular Duncans, like the 59's, are a great platform for magnet swaps.

Last edited:
PRS 57/08 pickups are my favorite pickups. I have them in a number of my PRS guitars and really like how they sound in all of them. I am not much of a pickup swapper but I have done it to a few guitars. I have used a few sets of Duncan's that I liked. I like the Seth Lovers but had an unwanted feedback with them due to no wax potting. I like the Pearly Gates pickups which are very close to the build structure of the Seth Lovers but they are potted. I like the 59 as well.

I think Seymour offers a really wide range of pickups and some guitar manufacturers have used them in the newly built guitars like Hamer and Heritage. I find that trying to figure out which one will be the best for the application you have to be a challenge due to how many options there are. I find the graphs and information they provide to not be really helpful in determining how a pickup will sound in my guitar.

I am a fan of Fralin pickups. I have bought a couple sets of them. Both times I was able to call and talk directly to Lindy about them. After discussing the woods and makeup of the guitar and what I didn't like about the pickups that were in it and what I wanted the new pickups to do, he knocked it out of the park on both occasions. I found that process much easier than trying to figure out what would work best for me on the Duncan site.

There is always wolfetone?

I have a set of marshallheads mkII on route. I know he would be able to help you out with something amazing. Very reasonably priced and great guy to deal with. Have a couple of his PUs and they all work brilliantly. 2 of the 3 were customized at no upcharge.

Last edited:
I think I'll just be on the lookout for a set of 57/08's. It's a core PRS after all. In the meantime I'll enjoy the Fralin HBSP90'S for that P90 tone!

I think getting a set of the 57/08's is the way to go. That's what I'd do.

But if you wanted to try a whole new direction, I just put a John Suhr SSV and SSH+ set in my CE22 and they're really good.

In terms of output, they remind me of 90's Dragon I pickups.

But they're more organic and less dense so they have a more spacious sound.

They're touch sensitive and you can shape each note with your pick when you squeeze notes out.

I still love what the Dragons do, but these new Suhr pickups are really good too.

There is always wolfetone?

I have a set of marshallheads mkII on route. I know he would be able to help you out with something amazing. Very reasonably priced and greag guy to deal with. Have a couple of his PUs and they all work brillinantly. 2 of the 3 were customized at no upcharge.
I have Wolfe's Legends and Kauers in my McCartys. Legends are generally my favorite PAF type, regardless of price. I have many more expensive pickups in a drawer not being used, including some older 57/08 which I also like. If the guitar is particularly bright or thin in general, Marshallheads will fill it out nicely.

I think getting a set of the 57/08's is the way to go. That's what I'd do.

But if you wanted to try a whole new direction, I just put a John Suhr SSV and SSH+ set in my CE22 and they're really good.

In terms of output, they remind me of 90's Dragon I pickups.

But they're more organic and less dense so they have a more spacious sound.

They're touch sensitive and you can shape each note with your pick when you squeeze notes out.

I still love what the Dragons do, but these new Suhr pickups are really good too.
The ssv is a good pickup!

I have Wolfe's Legends and Kauers in my McCartys. Legends are generally my favorite PAF type, regardless of price. I have many more expensive pickups in a drawer not being used, including some older 57/08 which I also like. If the guitar is particularly bright or thin in general, Marshallheads will fill it out nicely.
I'd like to try some Wolfetones. Been thinking of the Mean and Meaner set of P90's to put in my SE Soapbar.

What he says. I have a meand and underwound mean and only took them out of my mccarty, because of the noise the stage lights at church caused. Had to put noiseless in them to be able to use my nice mccarty p90. However sonically no contest: the Wolfetones smoke the mojotones

Back